• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

PIctures of celebrities in canoes

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Comment on the manufacture of this canoe and big bonus for identifying the big star in the photo. IT was taken around 1926.

XbG76vj.jpg

Another view:

M3CUNll.jpg

Maureen O'Sullivan ?

Nope, that's not IT. As for the canoe, I can't quite tell whether it's wood over frame or fabric over frame.

Here's a different movie star in a 1925 photo, who was cast often as the wife of a famous detective in a series of films.

3YifSpV.jpg

Last edited:
I know the name of the of the first "big star" but I cheated so won't post my "guess". I will say that I never heard of her but I'm not really into movies prior to WW2 (except for Chaplin, W.C.Fields and Sergei Eisenstein).

The new one you just posted.......the image isn't showing up for me?

Nope, that's not IT. As for the canoe, I can't quite tell whether it's wood over frame or fabric over frame.

Here's a different movie star in a 1925 photo, who was cast often as the wife of a famous detective in a series of films.

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

I can't see the photo, but based on the clue, I'm going with Myrna Loy anyway!

Here's the detective wife movie star linked a different way and I also changed it above. Can it be seen now?

3YifSpV.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	3YifSpV.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.6 KB ID:	114007

Yes, it's Myrna Loy, who played Nora Charles, wife of detective Nick Charles in The Thin Man, which was written by Dashiell Hammett, the originator of the "hard boiled" school of detective fiction. Most people think the "thin man" was Nick Charles, but that wasn't the case in the original novel and movie. The "thin man" was the missing person that Nick Charles was hired to find. However, because Hollywood issued all the Nick and Nora Charles sequels with Thin Man in the titles, that moniker has forever but erroneously become associated with Nick Charles himself.

Bonus question: Which of his detectives did Dashiell Hammett write the most pages about in novels and short stories?

As to the actress playing with a canoe on Malibu beach, she was a much bigger star in her time than Myrna Loy was in hers. She was probably the leading movie star sex symbol during the Roaring Twenties.

Last edited:
As an aside, Marilyn starred in "River of No Return" with Robert Mitchum in 1954, directed by Otto Preminger, shot on location in Alberta. The rafting whitewater scenes are entertaining. Marilyn's voice in the picture is bizarre. Evidently, she had an acting coach telling her to speak that way.

#1....Clara Bow?

Yes, indeed -- known forever as the "The It Girl" because she starred in a film called It and because she had it. A giant silent film star who successfully transitioned to talkies, she retired in 1933 at age 28 after marrying cowboy star Rex Bell.

Ned Beatty and Burt Reynolds
Did you know Burt Reynolds broke his coccyx running a drop that the stunt men refused to do? Yup
For those that haven’t seen the film, it’s worth watching
the film is way more than the squeal like a pig scenes

Did you know Burt Reynolds broke his coccyx running a drop that the stunt men refused to do? Yup

Yeah, and he was miserable, crippled, in constant pain and addicted to painkillers by the time he died. All that hard living caught up with him in the end.

The picture posted by Mnoutdoorfunguy is not Beatty and Reynolds. It is of a governor who later became president of the U.S.

Originally posted by Glenn MacGrady

The picture posted by Mnoutdoorfunguy is not Beatty and Reynolds. It is of a governor who later became president of the U.S.

And he's holding the gunnel with one hand. Tsk, tsk.

That photo in 1974 is alleged to be the first tandem canoe run of Bull Sluice rapid on Section III of the Chattooga. Here's a nice video about it:

Back