• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Picked up an Arrow Mirage

Reaction score
Good Afternoon folks,

I just added an Arrow Mirage to my fleet. Length is about 15 1/2 feet Picked it up this afternoon at the transfer station store. Never heard of this but is in great condition. Just needs a new stern seat and minor repairs. Hull is perfect other than scratches. Will float it this weekend if the weather is good. Anyone ever heard of Arrow canoes?

Attachments

• arrow canoe.jpg
    arrow canoe.jpg
    471.8 KB · Views: 0
That's a nice looking canoe. Sorry I can't add anything to your baseline knowledge of it but I hope this all works out for you. I have friends that used to operate the transfer station for a small community in VT and it always amazed me at the stuff people would toss out. Over the years they acquired a number of small canoes & kayaks as well as some really nice snowshoes.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I don’t know anything about Arrow canoes, but when I saw the picture it immediately reminded me of the Dagger Reflection (later by Mad River). I find those to be nice paddling canoes. Nice find.

barry

Slowly fixing this one I picked up last fall. Homemade ash seat frames with polypropylene webbing, refinished the yoke, some fiberglassing behind the rear seat. Just need to rivet the rear deck back on and install the grab handles. Hope to float her next Friday.

Attachments

• 20200508_175712.jpg
    20200508_175712.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200508_175704.jpg
    20200508_175704.jpg
    799.6 KB · Views: 0
There was a Black Arrow Canoe company out of Virginia back in the 90’s. They made a half dozen different canoe models, but I think their only tandem was the 17’ 6” Duet.

No seat drops in the refurbishment?

There was a Black Arrow Canoe company out of Virginia back in the 90’s. They made a half dozen different canoe models, but I think their only tandem was the 17’ 6” Duet.

No seat drops in the refurbishment?

I need to make the spacers and buy longer screws.. I could buy a kit but I like to fab stuff myself if possible.

I really like that emblem on the bow! Hard to tell but it looks like either a bear or...a pig! Regardless, it's pretty cool.

Looks kinda like a bear. I'm going to try to preserve it or have new ones made when I repaint.

Attachments

• 20200508_200144.jpg
    20200508_200144.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 0
Good Afternoon folks,

I just added an Arrow Mirage to my fleet. Length is about 15 1/2 feet Picked it up this afternoon at the transfer station store. Never heard of this but is in great condition. Just needs a new stern seat and minor repairs. Hull is perfect other than scratches. Will float it this weekend if the weather is good. Anyone ever heard of Arrow canoes?

Pretty sure that's a Bear Creek Mirage, originally made up your way but moved to NC http://bearcreekdev.chicagoips.com/canoes/mirage/ and now I believe out of business. I had one a few years ago but found the hull was not stiff enough for me (had a peculiar tendency to twist axially). HIN prefix should be RTN

Attachments

• photo15549.jpg
    photo15549.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nice work, nice looking canoe and I like the logo. If you find that it feels like it twists you can add another thwart right behind the front seat.

Pretty sure that's a Bear Creek Mirage, originally made up your way but moved to NC http://bearcreekdev.chicagoips.com/canoes/mirage/ and now I believe out of business. I had one a few years ago but found the hull was not stiff enough for me (had a peculiar tendency to twist axially). HIN prefix should be RTN

The canoe I have is labeled Arrow on the sides mid ship and Mirage on each side of the stern. Must be some relation to bear creek, that is in fact the same logo. I didn't make the connection of the logo till I read your post.
I have only had this boat in on the water once. It was a short paddle on calm flat water. I was solo and it handled alright.
Bear Creek Canoe was in business about 8 miles from me. I never stopped in but drove by their sign many times. I do remember them moving out of state. There are still some of thier canoes in the area.
It's interesting learning the history of this canoe.

It is a pleasure connecting with you folks on here.

The name suggests that their canoes can travel.
My uncle lived aboard an old Monk built mahagony powerboat built in Vancouver, BC. It was 55 feet long and named "Arrow."
He ran it up the West Coast from Los Angeles to Anacortes, WA outside the shipping lanes. Alaska Bob had brass balls. RIP.

Back