• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Northstar Polaris dedicated solo just arrived!

Reaction score
IMG_1691.jpeg

Got the call that it had been delivered yesterday. Today I made the 3.5 hour drive north to pick it up, and then took a little over four hours to get it back home. I chose to take a more scenic (and lower speed) route home. High winds were predicted to strengthen on the highway route that I took to get there. We routinely carry our two rotomolded pack boats over long distances at highway speeds with no issues, but I didn’t feel like trialling this boat in those conditions in the pouring rain. I was lucky enough that it had stopped raining at the shop so I could load it comfortably!

I had spoken with Bear at Northstar in the fall about getting a canoe so I could learn traditional paddling techniques and spend some more time doing photography from the water. I’m a big guy, and he had recommended the Polaris in a dedicated solo configuration, with aluminum trim and riveted seat supports. I also added the footbrace, grab loops bow and stern, and got short float bags for bow and stern. My wife and I primarily paddle flat water, but some of that is Great Lakes flat water, and I wanted some additional buoyancy in case bad things happen.

First impressions: OMG this thing is so light compared to our 14.5 ft. rotomolded boats! Those things are not easily loaded by a single person. This boat? I lifted it onto my shoulder with one hand, and easily transitioned to a two-handed lift onto the roof rack. The blacklite layup looks great. The aluminum trim is more slick than our rotomolded boats, and I need to get some pool noodle or high density foam bits to keep the boat from wanting to slide around on the rack bars.

Now I just need the weather to cooperate a little bit. Rainy and cold this weekend. This week looks to have some decent days in the middle, but of course next weekend looks like rain and cold again!

Congrats, sweet boat. Depending on your rack system, there are "L" shaped holders, that secure the sides more, they bolt on. It's seems like boats with tumbohome are more subjective to "dancing around" on the rack, if that makes sense. But great boat hope you enjoy it!

Congrats, sweet boat. Depending on your rack system, there are "L" shaped holders, that secure the sides more, they bolt on. It's seems like boats with tumbohome are more subjective to "dancing around" on the rack, if that makes sense. But great boat hope you enjoy it!

You just gave me a great idea. I can make a set of wood stops that fit over the rack bars and catch the inside of the gunwhales. That would stop any sideways motion and wouldn’t interfere with the straps. Thanks!

The Polaris looks great; I did not know that Northstar would "solo-ize" a tandem. That should make a fine tripper for both lakes and rivers!

A trick that I use on my bars is to cut strips of "anti-fatigue" mats and zip tie them tightly to the bar. They give cushioning, have a tough non-slip texture, and hold up well in the weather. I have used mine for over six months with no sign of wear or degradation. The black color blends in nicely with the bars, too.

Enjoy the new canoe, I know you will be out on the water with the first bit of good weather. Let us know how the Polaris paddles as a solo.

Last edited:
[…]
A trick that I use on my bars is to cut strips of "anti-fatigue" mats and zip tie them tightly t the bar. They give cushioning, have a tough non-slip texture, and hold up well in the weather. I have used mine for over six months with no sign of wear or degradation. The black color blends in nicely with the bars, too.
[…]

Another great idea! Thanks!

Congrats on getting a great canoe! The Polaris is reasonably fast and does well in wind. It will hold a good amount of gear and makes an excel tripper. You are going to love this canoe!

Bob.

I'll post a photo for you next week when I get back home.

It's pretty easy to make:
1. Cut a strip as wide (front to back) as your bar and as long as your bar. I have 70" bars so I cut 2 strips from my 5' mats.
2. Zip-Tie the strip every foot or so to the bar.
3 Cut off loose zip tie ends.

Voila! A padded bar.

I'll post a photo for you next week when I get back home.

It's pretty easy to make:
1. Cut a strip as wide (front to back) as your bar and as long as your bar. I have 70" bars so I cut 2 strips from my 5' mats.
2. Zip-Tie the strip every foot or so to the bar.
3 Cut off loose zip tie ends.

Voila! A padded bar.
I am being foolish - I was misintpreting what you had posted and was thinking you were talking about padding the thwarts of the canoe; I couldn't visualize why you would do so - this makes much more sense (I didn't realize you were responding about the boat moving around on the crossbars)!

I use plumbing insulation for the same thing and use inexpensive velcro strips to keep the insulation in place. Works perfectly for me as my bars are 72" (3'4" galvanized plumbing pipe) - 3/4" galvanized pipe fits the Yakima round bar towers perfectly...

Finally had a chance to get this boat wet today! The day was bright and sunny with light wind (5-7kts), but the air temp was about 46F and water was cold, so I was being quite conservative and not pushing any limits (I’m one of those “always wear your PFD” types, had dry clothing, and my test lake is a small state park lake where one is never far from a shoreline).

Some initial thoughts:
  • This thing traaaaacks. Like, way more than I thought it would. Everyone I talked to said it would, but I was still pleasantly surprised.
  • The hull is much more rigid than I expected, coming from a rotomolded pack boat. I can feel the Native hull flex in waves and when I dig into a stroke. The Polaris felt solid as a rock in comparison.
  • I have never paddled single paddle until today. I hope nobody was looking too closely as I learned how to apply a J-stroke. I need to spend some time practicing this and some other single paddle strokes to get more comfortable. By the end of my two hour outing I was comfortable enough to have the boat heeled over on a light secondary to whatever side I was paddling and making much better speed with more consistent control, but it was taking a lot of concentration to stay there. I know this will all become more natural with practice.
  • I’m a big guy, which was why I was getting a big boat. I got in and it felt like I could put at least another me in there and the boat would still behave well. Maybe even more than a me. Quite happy about this.
  • This boat is shockingly wide at max beam. I could easily have a party in there. This is not a problem. I have lots of room to move around to stay comfortable and control the boat’s heel as needed.
  • I really liked sitting a little higher than I did in packboat style seating.
  • That said, I already ordered a back band. I have the footbrace but definitely missed the back support.
  • I already said this, but wow this boat is light. It was amazing being able to load, unload, and move to the water on my own and without dragging over ground.
  • I need to rework my gear tethers and the systems I use for carrying stuff. I knew this going in, but did not yet have any experience to guide my choices. Now I’m gaining that and starting to make some idea lists.
This particular lake is maybe 40 minutes or so from home, so this might get some after-work paddles later this spring for an hour or two of practice on work nights. We are also fortunate to live literally two blocks from the Allegheny River. Unfortunately, the remains of industry occupy nearly the entire riverfront around here, so I’d need to make a drive to launch. The state park lake will probably be the best bet for practice and gear testing.

Congratulations on a gorgeous boat! I went the other way with mine, it has three seats. But I almost always have kids with me.

Back