• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

New canvas!!

Reaction score
Yesterday I picked up my Chestnut Olgilvy from Housatonic Canoe. I had the canvas repalced as well as some minor repairs. John knocked it out of the park!

I purchased this Chestnut last Summer and it quickly became my primary canoe for all occasions. Solo to tripping. It is a fantastic hull and it took me a long time to find one. The main advantage of the "V" stern is that the transom is above the waterline. This means it paddles just like a traditional double end canoe when a motor is not in use. Unlike a square stern canoe, which has the efficiency of a bath tub when trying to paddle. This gives me the best of both worlds. I am able to motor out farther, set up camp, ditch the motor and paddle.

I purchased this from the original owner, and it was all original including the canvas. In reality I could have used this for a few more years before the canvas gave out on me, but I decided to replace the canvas while I had the chance. John was the only shop I could find that did not have a two year waiting list.

I could not be more happy with the results. It feels good having my primary canoe back on the water. John is very talented and knowledgeable. His site is definitely worth checking out.

Attachments

• chestnut 3.jpeg
    chestnut 3.jpeg
    199.3 KB · Views: 31
  • chestnut 2.jpeg
    chestnut 2.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 29
  • chestnut 4.jpeg
    chestnut 4.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 31
  • chestnut 1.jpeg
    chestnut 1.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Chestnut.jpeg
    Chestnut.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230826_162208.jpg
    20230826_162208.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 31
The main advantage of the "V" stern is that the transom is above the waterline. This means it paddles just like a traditional double end canoe when a motor is not in use. Unlike a square stern canoe, which has the efficiency of a bath tub when trying to paddle.

I've never been in either and had never thought about this.

Lovely canoe! How long is it? And is that metal on the transom and deck—copper, brass?

I hope so. The original canvas lasted nearly 60 years, but it spend most of it's life in the rafters of a garage.

This is 18 feet long. 110 pounds. Just at my carry limit. We decided to put a piece of copper on the transom. Just a bit of extra protection. The brass cap on the bow is from the factory!

Your canoe looks great, that interior looks like new. It takes some real know how to canvas one of those, I follow Housatonic Canoe on a few different social media pages and am always impressed with the quality of their work.

I’m looking forward to seeing the canoe in action, any upcoming trips?

Do you actually get it up on your shoulders or do you use the “lift it one end at a time method” from the rear of the truck?

Thanks!

Yup. I refuse to use a trailer for some reason. Too much extra work. I carry this the good old fashioned way. For now. I'm 38 and think I will be able to get this on my shoulders for the next few years.

Next trip will be Indian Lake in ADK. Potentially Lake Champlain this weekend if my schedule opens up. Bit of a bummer getting it back this late in the season, but it was well worth the wait.

Back