• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Photo of the day

Yep, -35C here this morning too. By the time I headed out the door it had warmed up considerably to -28 But headed out anyways.

Packed a lunch strapped on the snowshoes and headed out for a picnic.
83KcB19.jpg

It was so cold my dog had no interest in tagging along. In fairness he had a big portion of fur shaved by the vet and couldn't imagine how cold it must feel to him. Yesterday my wife's van wouldn't start so we pulled out the jumper cables. The plastic coating on the cables actually snapped trying to straighten the cable out.

Here's a couple from a few years back at a nice little lake in the ADK's, 13th Lake. Well, my friends told me it was nice, we pushed springtime ice out and lost. We never got past 100 yards from the put in.
That's an Old Town canoe, not too sure of the model or lenght.

Here is my first attempt at "wheels", first time I ever drank a beer while portaging, and a guy could get used to it. It was a fun weekend designed to break the cabin fever.

Cooking breakfast before I learned the ways of the cold handle frying pan.

OK where do you get the wheels? My wife will love me forever if I can find some of those!

My brother comes along on some canoe trips. He suffers from Exact Global Position Syndrome (EGPS) and is almost always staring at a map at the bottom of his canoe. Once I had the only map and we were on the Raquette River, ADK which I've done many times. He was constantly asking where we were....I finally gave him the map as he was distraught at the fact that I couldn't pin point our exact location on the map.

Barry

Waterdog I love those pics.. The DOG knows where it is and is keenly appreciating what it sees!

Red.. The weather blog...is DUH.. does someone think we need to be reminded that -34 is cold? I see they forgot to advise not licking the lamppost.

Kim the worst was one day last week it was -25 forecast high and the blog part said "we are expecting some precipitation so better take an umbrella along"

i don't enjoy that new feature of the weather network website. And as a Canadian all things weather are important to us. ;)

You can always switch to a non-commentary weather forecast. I use Intellicast.
We were just making fun of the dumbed down weather forecasts. I use NOAA National Weather Service, or the Mt Washington Observatory Intellicast isn't too bad.

Last week I drove through snowy, stormy conditions, to spend some fun family time with daughter #2. No problems at all, but there were crazy drivers everywhere. Last night I drove through icy, stormy conditions, to spend some fun family time with kids & co. No problems at all, but there were crazy drivers everywhere. If I have, or anticipate having problems, I stay home. I wish the crazy drivers would do the same. Maybe the weather forecasts aren't dumbed down enough.

Somebody started a petition up this way because of the poor road conditions because 5 or 6 cars needed up in the ditch. I say this....if the 20 cars before you didn't go in the ditch, and you did; what does that say about you.

Slow down, drive to conditions and you will never change the fact that the roads get slippery in the winter.

Anybody down east suffering because of the ice storm?

Not suffering as bad as some folks further east. We woke up to some loud crashing noises and found this in the backyard...

DSCN9845_rs.jpg

Good thing I put off the canoe rack project this year. We still have power though, so no complaints. 500 000 folks across the city not so lucky right now.

Somebody started a petition up this way because of the poor road conditions because 5 or 6 cars needed up in the ditch. I say this....if the 20 cars before you didn't go in the ditch, and you did; what does that say about you.

Slow down, drive to conditions and you will never change the fact that the roads get slippery in the winter.

No. But I didn't have to go out today. I did go for a walk and needed traction aids.

Beauty eh? Second day of official winter and -35c tonight with a south wind coming to warm things to a balmy -19 by Tuesday morning and snow.

Since we're now into full-blown winter, how about a pic from the height of summer?

I had brought my canoe down to the city for an event and ended up spending a relaxed day exploring the Toronto islands. Forgot to pack a lunch so paddled up to a shore-side cafe on one of the canals and had lunch in the boat...closest thing to a drive thru window on a canoe excursion.

Island+Paddle+033_rs.jpg

Back