• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

PFD avoidance issues

I used to paddle with a guy that insisted on leaving his PFD unzipped. On the last trip he was wearing rubber hip waders and a loose PFD on a river with fast current and cold water. After some discussion, I told him that I was not paddling with him again.

On my vests I roll up and tape the extra length of the straps with a couple wraps of high grade electrician's tape. Keeps things tidy but with the option of using the extra if needed.

Up here you would be a bit crazy not wearing your PFD at all time, water is really cold even in the warmest of summer!! It is on every time we hit the water, and a lot fo time we wear our drysuits when river running!!

Just a quick note here that the inflatable is still fully inflated. Age has apparently not killed it yet.

I was really impressed with the idea that somebody falling into cold water will involuntary do a "gasp" for air and there by get water into their lungs. In my own experience that's sure been true. I guess I always figured that, what with everything that was going on at the time, I forgot to hold my breath when I went under.

Now the Coast Guard tells us that it's a normal involuntary reaction. I do know that with water in my lungs I'm not doing much of anything but trying to get the water out and air in.

Here at home, I can think that if such and such happens, then I'll do thus and so........yeah, well maybe....but I find that events have a way of taking charge over my optimistic plans.

As far as the idea that PFD's being restrictive and uncomfortable; I do believe a coffin is probably going to prove not all that comfortable over the long haul.

Best Wishes, Rob

I like Oldie's post. The gasp reflex is pretty well known among rafters maybe because of the cold water they travel on. There was a story at Lake Tahoe a few years ago that is worth repeating. A Sheriff's deputy was on patrol in a large aluminum power boat on the lake which is always pretty cold. It was spring time like now in May when he ended his shift. He put the boat on an anchor buoy and stepped into the tender to go ashore. He fell out of the small boat and disappeared in about 8 feet of water. He was not wearing a PFD and drowned in front of several other people in broad daylight. There is little doubt that the cold water that time of year caused the gasp reflex.

Last edited:
In the West, the water is usually cold. We run lots of rivers and some big lakes. I refuse to paddle with anyone that does not wear a life vest.
Inflatables are not dependable. People get thrown in the cold water when they don't expect it. They may inhale some water involuntarily. The vest has to be ready to do its job.
Dressing for immersion is important under some circumstances.

Back