• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

​Patching (and inspecting) dry bags

The Watershed duffels I own (four in different sizes) do each have a pair of straps that secure over the seal at the top, but the top does not have a roll closure like the common dry bags do. The top simply folds over and the straps secure it in place. The Jacks Plastic welding bags are indeed very tough and so far mine have remained water tight when properly closed. I have two of their tent stow bags.

“The Watershed duffels I own (four in different sizes) do each have a pair of straps that secure over the seal at the top, but the top does not have a roll closure like the common dry bags do. The top simply folds over and the straps secure it in place”

I may be misremembering how friends Watershed bags close, I thought there was more than one fold over before the straps, but I’m probably too green with envy to watch for long.

I may be misremembering this as well, or had some flavor enhancers that trip, but I recall a friend’s duffle that used a dry-suit style waterproof zipper and fold/roll top, and he was a Watershed aficionado.

Enhanced or not I do have a distinct memory of him doing the waterproof zipper struggle trying to open some uber-sealed duffle. I definitely remember watching him and thinking “Nope, don’t want that action just to get inside a dry bag

How have the mega Zip-lock closures on your Watersheds held up? I have beefy zip closures on map cases and other things, and after a while (OK, lack of maintenance) they become recalcitrant to close securely.

Eventually, even after neglected maintenance cleaning and 303ing, the closures seem to lose tenacity.

I know several Canoe Tripper have long had Watershed bags; how have the zip-closures performed over time.

And Pete, not to thread drift, but I turn to you as old-style HIN knowledgeable. What does this HIN indicate about year of manufacture? DRM was a pontoon boat maker in Indianapolis. I forget how older HIN’s worked.

DRM 1684 110

1984 hull?

The Watershed duffels that I own have held up fine so far but Watershed does recommend lubricating the closures periodically and include a small packet of 303 Protectant to use for that purpose. The duffels have a male fastex side-release type buckle at each end of the closure that meets with female side-release buckles sewn onto each side of the duffel near the bottom. This maintains the closure in a half-folded position and then two more straps, adjustable for length, go over the top of the closure to keep it half-folded down. If the closure failed I suppose this half-fold might retard some water entry into the duffel but it certainly wouldn't be waterproof. In order to be able to connect the side release buckles at the ends of the closure, it would be necessary to fold the top at least 270 degrees, which I doubt would even be possible. All four of the different sized Watershed duffels I own (Ocoee, Chattooga, Yukon, Colorado) close and fasten in the same way.

It is true that the length of the closure is a bit less than the full length of the bag, but it is still usually possible to put objects as long as the duffel inside as long as they are not too thick to angle them in a bit.

As for the HIN I can't comment on the date of certification because the HIN is incomplete and missing two characters. All HINs have 12 alphanumeric characters and the last four denote the month and year of certification, and in some formats the intended model year to be sold which was often the year after certification. Some manufacturers would append additional characters to the HIN following a dash, such as the "-K" that Mad River appended to the HIN on their Kevlar models. The three letter manufacturer's identification code "DRM" translates to "Dreamboat Company" of Indianapolis, IN which went out of business in November of 1989 so the boat would certainly be older than that.

Last edited:
The seam has delaminated in this dry bag: Cressi. Their equipment is mostly for divers. I like the bag because it has places to attach your spear guns (read paddles and fishing rods) to the outside of the bag.

I'm attaching a photo. Is there anyway to fix this?
I had a Voyageur waterproof, inflatable, zippered "Shutterdry" camera bag for about 15 years. The zippered patch began to delaminate off the bag just as your seams are. I contacted the company and they sent me a brand new bag for free. Just for good customer relations.

Maybe it's worthwhile to try with Cressi or one of their dealers. They are a very established (since 1946) and worldwide company.

Thank you, Glenn. I have emailed the company and got a reply. I am supposed to send and then my internet went down for 12 days and I am so far behind on everything.

Meanwhile, I have a NRS Bill's Dry Bag. Actually, I have two, but am only planning to take one this trip.

I thought I would put a few D-rings on it so I can tie something on the outside, possibly paddles, or possibly a carabiner to attach water bottles.

I purchased the following small D-ring patches from amazon:

What the photos don't really show is there is an indented around on the underside right below the upright of the "D." (Side note, check out the video that goes along with this product. The cutest tot paddling a stand up board.)

Question: is that raised area on a small D-ring patch going to cause it to pop off more easily? Perhaps I should get a larger D-ring patch?

Here is the glue I bought to try to attach these with.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VLZCZAQ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Any recommendations on how to proceed?

Thank you,
Erica

PS Glenn, I tried to make the nifty links, but it only worked on one of the three. Sorry!

PS Glenn, I tried to make the nifty links, but it only worked on one of the three. Sorry!
Yes, I've noticed that links to Amazon don't unfurl for some reason. Sounds as if you have sufficient waterproof bags to make a go of it.

The Watershed duffels that I own have held up fine so far but Watershed does recommend lubricating the closures periodically and include a small packet of 303 Protectant to use for that purpose. The duffels have a male fastex side-release type buckle at each end of the closure that meets with female side-release buckles sewn onto each side of the duffel near the bottom. This maintains the closure in a half-folded position and then two more straps, adjustable for length, go over the top of the closure to keep it half-folded down. If the closure failed I suppose this half-fold might retard some water entry into the duffel but it certainly wouldn't be waterproof. In order to be able to connect the side release buckles at the ends of the closure, it would be necessary to fold the top at least 270 degrees, which I doubt would even be possible. All four of the different sized Watershed duffels I own (Ocoee, Chattooga, Yukon, Colorado) close and fasten in the same way.
The Watershed bags I have seem designed to roll 270 deg. at the top, though occasionally I stuff them too full to roll the last 180. They do get difficult to open and close if I don't periodically wipe the closing strips with 303.

Question: is that raised area on a small D-ring patch going to cause it to pop off more easily? Perhaps I should get a larger D-ring patch?

Here is the glue I bought to try to attach these with.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VLZCZAQ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Any recommendations on how to proceed?
I think you got the right glue for the job, and I wouldnt worry about that hollow spot. When I was glueing straps to dry bag, I only glued a 1”band around the edge, and the bond held fine, despite a substantial unglue area in the center. Good luck And happy gluing.

The Watershed bags I have seem designed to roll 270 deg. at the top, though occasionally I stuff them too full to roll the last 180. They do get difficult to open and close if I don't periodically wipe the closing strips with 303.
Yes, you are correct. I misspoke from memory. The watershed duffels are designed to have the top closure fold over itself one time (one 180 degree fold) and then fold another 90 degrees to lay flat under the top buckles as the photo below shows.

Watershed Duffel

I think that folding the closure over in this way serves only to protect the closure itself from abrasion damage from the closure straps, or other potential injury. It really adds nothing to the water tightness of the duffel.

Last edited:
Back