• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

passing of Brian Moll

Reaction score
Brian Moll passed away this past Tuesday at age 72. Brian was a passionate canoe enthusiast and paddler. I met him while he worked at CanoeSport in Ann Arbor (a wonderful canoe shop that went out of business years ago) and we ended up paddling together regularly for years. Brian's passion for canoes and the outdoors touched a lot of people. The red canoe in my avatar pic was Brian's; I wish he could have spent more time in it.

I apologize for cross-posting this news but I thought it would be OK since I just want to inform folks in the paddling community about Brian's passing.

Was he related to "Bud" Moll, aka "Black Bart" the Michigan paddle maker of several years ago? I ordered my first bent shaft carbon paddle from Bud, then a week or so after i got my paddle I heard that Bud was tragically killed riding his motorcycle when he hit a bear in the road. If so, I probably have the very last paddle that he made. That paddle has accompanyied me and served well on an accumulated 4,000 miles of Yukon River races, and many hundreds in the Adirondacks.

Remember Brian from CanoeSport. Great guy, great shop. Canoe in my avatar was rehabbed by Ron Sell, also from the shop. Great crew, great owner Ned Sharples.

Thanks for sharing this news. I’ve heard you talk about this friend. Some of the best friends in my life have been made through paddling adventures. Sounds like a solid person. I’m sorry for your loss.

Paddle on folks.

Was he related to "Bud" Moll, aka "Black Bart" the Michigan paddle maker of several years ago? I ordered my first bent shaft carbon paddle from Bud, then a week or so after i got my paddle I heard that Bud was tragically killed riding his motorcycle when he hit a bear in the road. If so, I probably have the very last paddle that he made. That paddle has accompanyied me and served well on an accumulated 4,000 miles of Yukon River races, and many hundreds in the Adirondacks.
No, Brian Moll was not related to Bud Moll. Coincidentally, I had given Brian a Black Bart Troublemaker (carbon straight shaft) many years ago as a gift and he just didn't use it since I think he preferred wood. I agree that the Black Bart paddles are great recreational canoe paddles.
No, Brian Moll was not related to Bud Moll. Coincidentally, I had given Brian a Black Bart Troublemaker (CF straight shaft) as a gift many years ago and he just didn't use it since I think he preferred wood.

Back