• Happy National Nurses Day! 🛌👩‍⚕💉💊🎉

Pal or Prospector lines?

Reaction score
IMG_0259 (2)

I bought this 15' Cedarwood Canoe last year and sold it for a "small" finder fee as I do with most of my canoes. Pretty sure i'll be buying it back from the owner today as I want 15' for solo runs or for the kids to use.

I often have a hard time distinguishing between Pal and Prospector lines,

Anyone care to comment on the lines of this canoe... Prospector or Pal (15' Chum....).

Looks more like a Bob than a Pal to me. Bob would be a little beamish for a 15'. Taller stems and sharper entry then a Pal too. I have the NC version of a Bob that I use for solo day trips and I like it a lot. The beam (35" on NC's version) doesn't bother me as I tend to heal the boat a little. I solo trip in a NC Pal.

It might be a 15' prospector. I would think the rocker would be a good clue. Prospectors seem to be more rounder bottomed. Pal or Bob not so much roundness.

Here are some Chestnut's,

A 15' Bobs and a 17' Prospector

A 15' Bobs on left, a 15' Chum and a 16' Pal on the right.

You could have a Bobs or a Chum, doesn't look like a Prospector or a Pal. A Chum is about 30" wide plank to plank.

I got the canoe today, it's likely Cedarwood"s version of a Chum. Certainly not a Bob's Special, I've seen plenty of them and never buy them.

Back