• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Painting Aluminum...

Reaction score
Ok, I'm looking for information on painting my aluminum Grumman canoe. I have had to boat for many years and have used it for waterfowling but as usual after a bit the spray paint that I had applied comes off and the it looks pretty crappy... Is there anything that can be applied to the aluminum to help paint adhere to it?

Can't help you here but I am interested in what folks suggest. I just pulled the seats, thwarts, yoke, gunnels and decks out of my old alumicraft. Going to replace everything with ash and was also thinking of painting it.

I don't remember what we used when we painted a name on our Grumman in 1970.. I suspect it wasn't spray. Embarrassingly the boat went to a friend and the name is still there 45 years later.

There are outdoor paints. I am a fan of Krylon that I apply with a foamie to the outside of wood canvas boats. The Krylon is intended for metal furniture.

Ok, I'm looking for information on painting my aluminum Grumman canoe. I have had to boat for many years and have used it for waterfowling but as usual after a bit the spray paint that I had applied comes off and the it looks pretty crappy... Is there anything that can be applied to the aluminum to help paint adhere to it?

I have never painted an entire aluminum canoe, but I’ve painted lots of aluminum, and painted some canoes, so don’t take this as gospel, but:

I’d scrub it first to remove any gunk, contaminates and old flakey paint.

Once the hull is clean I would lightly sand the entire outside to scruff of the aluminum a bit for better first coat adhesion. 220 grit sandpaper should do. On small bits of aluminum I paint on a dab of vinegar to etch the metal. Vinegar is inexpensive and you may want to scrub the boat last with that. Or next to last, I’d rinse it again.

Then paint it with primer for bare metal. That primer coat will adhere better to the scuffed aluminum surface. Then, per the primer directions, top coat that with paint.

One caveat. Any paint/primer you apply will scrap off on rocks and etc. If you can live with the color choice it helps to use a primer that is the same-ish color as the paint. I expect that there are tintable primers; I’ve usually used grey or white primer and painted with the same color, so that light scratches through the paint do not contrast as badly with the primer undercoat.

One alternative there is to prime the entire hull and paint the hull bottom up to the waterline with a like color paint, and then paint from the less scrapey chines to the gunwales in the color of your choice.

Last edited:
I could swear that I read someplace about a chemical that you put on the aluminum to make paint adhere better... The sand then viniger is what I will try.

Just ask an auto body or paint shop. If those guys don't know, nobody does.

You can find quite a bit of info on the internet regarding painting aluminum aircraft. I would guess the same general principles apply to painting an aluminum boat.

A little research show that the use of an etching primer is recommended.

Sorry for the diversion but this question brought back great memories for me. I purchased my first canoe, an aluminum Michi-Craft, back in 1969 and my sister painted it green with multi-colored flowers along both sides of the hull; hey, it was the "Summer of Love" and the original Woodstock festival was only 15 miles from our house. I would paddle to work a couple of days a week down the Delaware and one of my folks would come down at the end of the day and take me back home. It was a great way to commute!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Timely thead

I need to paint a large aluminum rudder and have never used etching primer. I didn’t know there was such a thing, and just bought a half pint to try.

I guess I could paint multi-color flowers on it. Or maybe just stripes.

As it happens they paint airplanes where I work, I'm not in the paint department, but I do know that we mechanically etch (sand) the whole airplane then chemically etch the whole thing, then alodine it. The alodine is a chrome conversion process that gives the paint the best chance at proper adhesion and corrosion resistance. Even when I sand down to the bare metal on just a small area, say the size of a quarter, I'll alodine it before I prime it. If you can find a proper zinc chromate primer that is probably the best way to go too. Chromates are serious business so definitely wear some serious protection if you use them. We're getting away from zinc chromate primers in the industry but its strictly for environmental and health reasons, if we were only doing whats best for the airplane we'd still use ZC.

Timberking, I used aluminum primer yesterday for the first time.

I cleaned the aluminum and etched it by submerging it in a tub of diluted vinegar and scrubbing it with 0000 steel wool. Even before the steel wool scrub it was impressive how much mung the vinegar bath lifted off. I neutralized it with a baking soda bath and rinsed it clean. Those steps, aside from a thorough cleaning, are perhaps unnecessary when using an aluminum primer and submerging a Grumman in a vinegar bath would be problematic.

My initial impression of the primer and top coating: The primer goes on really thin. It isn’t at all opaque and doesn’t hide the surface below. I allowed the primer to cure for 8 hours (instructions read 4 hour minimum) and top coated it with an oil base direct-to-metal paint.

Wow does that primer grab paint. I don’t know how else to describe the top coat application; I used a foam brush and unless I had it heavily loaded with paint the brush would dang near stick to the primer coat. Getting an even top coat without sags or drips was difficult. For something as large as a canoe you may want to use a roller and tip it out with a brush.

Time will tell how well the topcoat adheres, but given how tenaciously the primer grabbed paint I expect it should perform well.

Aluminum should not be cleaned with steel wool, it can imbed bits of steel into the aluminum and cause corrosion. A little late now, hopefully you won't have a problem with it.

Aluminum should not be cleaned with steel wool, it can imbed bits of steel into the aluminum and cause corrosion. A little late now, hopefully you won't have a problem with it.

Good to know. On a scraped up aluminum canoe imbedded bits of steel wool would not be good. Makes sense not to use steel wool there. Scrubbie pad maybe?

This was a large aluminum rudder and it came out fine. The 0000 steel wool falls apart quickly when scrubbed in a vinegar bath. The piece of aluminum, after vinegar, baking soda, rinse and dry came out uniformly clean, smooth and dull of shine.

After the aluminum primer and paint topcoat it looks Wabi-sabi good. There are a couple of runs and sags, and one patch that needs a second topcoat.

I won’t really know what I think until the rudder has seen some abuse.

Back