• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Paint/Stem bands done

Reaction score
In my hast to get my new canoes out tripping, I chose to forego the final paint and stems bands earlier this spring. Next week I’ll be displaying my canoes and traditional outfit at the Puckerbrush Primitive Gathering so I finished them up this week, fresh paint and stem bands. Even the well used Chestnut Chum got cleaned up, new paint, cleaned the banged up bands and some varnish on the rails.
See ya there,
(https://www.prfgca.org/events/event.php/Puckerbrush-Primitive-Gathering-2/)
BAFEF620-704F-4DD6-960E-6F4CF9FF867C.jpeg
DB7A85E7-493F-4B27-A3A8-A89B6F8CD47C.jpeg

I hope you take some photos with you to display from some of your trips showing them in action. Otherwise people won't believe you take them tripping and they can still be made to look that good.

Robin, they look great. When you repaint a canoe (like the Chum) do you first have to strip off the old paint or do you just paint another coat right over the old?

Robin, they look great. When you repaint a canoe (like the Chum) do you first have to strip off the old paint or do you just paint another coat right over the old?

Thanks, I just sanded it with 150 grit using a palm sander. I have started using a 4" foam roller with a 4" foam brush to tip per PBlanc's recent post recommendation with great results. I had been using just the 4" foam brush but the roller works much better.

Lowangle Al, Good idea on taking some pictures to the Puckerbrush Primitive Gathering, I think the local Walgreens makes a picture book.

Back