• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Paddling Options Near Orlando in Mid-November

Reaction score
I'm going to be in Orlando for a work-related conference in mid-November. I'll have 2 full days prior to the conference and 3 full days after the conference to recreate.

Wally World doesn't interest me. I'd rather go paddling. What are some good paddling options in the area?

A google search turned up a few options, but they all seem to be 2-3 hour guided trips in recreational kayaks. I'll probably do one or two of these to get my feet wet, so to speak, but I'd like to find something a little more adventurous too.

I'm an experienced paddler that has been tripping in the boreal forest and barren grounds for the past 25+ years, but admittedly I'm a complete novice when it comes to the nuances of paddling in the south. Are there precautions I should take regarding insects, snakes, gators, meth labs, etc?

My schedule is a follows:
Friday (11/11) - Fly to Orlando
Saturday and Sunday (11/12-11/13) - all day to recreate
Monday thru mid-day Wednesday (11/14 - 11/16) - work conference
Thursday thru Saturday (11/17 - 11/19) - all day to recreate
Sunday (11/20) - fly home

Like I said, I'd like to do a couple of the better short-guided trips since I'm new to the area (any suggestions?). If I could find an overnight trip (1 or 2 nights) for later in the week, that would be ideal. I will have a rental car, but will be necessarily be dependent on an outfitter for a boat and shuttles.

Thanks for any suggestions.

You didnt check fully enough
You can go to Kings Landing rent a canoe and paddle some 10 miles down Rock Springs Run. You can stop mid way and stay at a primitive campsite. Or continue down the Wekiva River.

https://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/guide/designated_paddle/Wekiva_guide.pdf
http://kingslandingfl.com/camping/

Ask them if they can accommodate you down to Katies Landing

Insects can be a bother in November. Take a camera. Dont feed the gators. Take lots of pictures of them. They are like slow bears.
A little more time.. Juniper Run in Ocala National Forest. 10 miles through wilderness with a rapid . Canoes available and shuttle too through the National Forest.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/f...&cid=null&pname=Juniper+Springs+-+Juniper+Run

You can also rent at SIlver Springs State park and paddle another spring fed river. You can put miles on there but I am not sure of concessionaire allowances. Not sure if they will allow you to go paddle the Ocklawaha
Thats near Ocala.

http://paddleflorida.net/

Good little web site to give you a bit of options....look into paddling Shingle Creek, very pretty/historic with some different options for paddling (distance wise).

As far as precautions go, just use the same common sense you would on your home waters...gators shouldn't be a problem esp. if we get some cold weather while your visiting! Hope this helps and have a great trip. Cheers!!

Do not know of any solo canoe rentals in central FL. Everything I know of for rent solo is a rec kayak. Now having said that Living in central FL just north of Orlando I have a good perspective on what is available. Silver Springs is nice, broad and has monkeys. But Juniper Springs is narrow, twisty and just as nice in a different way. Now closer to Orlando there is the Wekiva Basin. The Wekiva Basin has rentals at Kings landing, Wekiva Springs state park. Wekivia Island, and Wekiva falls. Wekiva Falls has an interesting trip that no one dose any more. You will need a GPS or GPS APP on your phone to find were it enters the Wekiva. The little Wekiva is a mostly forgotten stream that is very scenic for its type. If you can find one of the small independent kayak rental guys that just rent off their trailer you might be able to manage other trips such as Black Water creek or the Econ. The Econ has a few camping spots along the banks past Snow hill road. Some with experience will start at Rock Springs and camp at Buffalo Tram campsite on the Wekiva. Then take out the next day at Katies Landing or High Banks. You may wish to start the trip on Rock Springs run latter in the day and stop at Otter camp or Indian mound on the Rock spring run. then continue to Buffalo Tram. If camping on Rock springs you may wish to make sure you get a Mohawk Blazer tandem canoe from Kings Landing and paddle with the canoe turned around from the former bow seat. The gear in the front should make this an enjoyable way to paddle.

Last edited:
Blackwater is really nice but as few go there for paddling there are no liveries in the immediate area. You'll have to get an email permit from Seminole State Forest..
True I have not seen solo canoes for rent but the main attraction is scenery/birds/ reptiles so anything may do just fine.
I'll throw in Blue Springs State Park . It may be a tad early but its a manatee area
https://rootsrated.com/orlando-fl/flat-water-paddling/blue-spring-state-park

Agree on Blue Springs state park. Launch at HighBanks in Debary FL. Take back channel on the east side of the St. Johns to were it ends back in the St. Johns. Cross the river almost at once to an old logging canal. Use canal to go to the Dead river. Then chose to use Snake creek to go to Blue Springs state park or just continue to Hontoon Island State park on the dead river. Blue Springs state park will fill up early on weekends in manatee season. Also the spring run may be closed for paddling during the time of your visit. If you wish to launch or land at Blue springs you may wish to use the public boat ramp at the end of French ave. Just down the dirt road from the entrance to Blue Springs state park.

Last edited:
Does Blue Springs have rental craft?
I know Kings Landing, Wekiva, Juniper and Silver do.
But I cant recall if Blue Springs has a livery. Snake Creek is very pretty twisty and intimate.

Blue Springs state park in Orange City Fl has a few Mohawk Blazers left but mostly American Eagles. I have a hard time calling the American Eagles canoes. They also have solo kayak. They used to rent at Hontoon state park and believe they still do. My wife dose not like snake creek as sometimes it can become stagnant.

Thats useful info for the canoeless. I've brought my own so am not up to date on liveries on each creek.

Have to second Juniper Springs. Absolutely beautiful. One of my most favorites anywhere between Canada and Florida.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and links.

I'll likely head up to the Juniper Springs area for the first couple of days, then go to my conference in Orlando for 3 days, then go to the Wekiva River/Rock Springs Run area for the final three days. I'm looking forward to paddling in a new environment.

Camera. A must. Dry bag. A must
Have fun! The noticing is amazing . Take time to stop and look. The birds are incredibly varied?

Replying to the dead thread with new information. Shingle creek can be a decent 3 to 4 hour trip through cypress forest. Had a day off work and was looking for a new place to try. Launched at 4266 west vine st, Kissimmee Fl. There is a newish park there. Do not know how long they have been open but finishing work on the sign was being done today. They do not have a shuttle service at this time. The rental in the park is the same as the rental down stream. Down
stream is called The Docks at Shingle creek located at 3465 Marsh road. About half way down the canoe trail the water starts running fast and can not be paddled back up. This is different than my previous experience at a upstream run that is only 1 mile long.

If you are experienced or just plane nutty when going upstream ignore the end of trail and "DO NOT ENTER" sign when going north. Their is about 45 minutes of passable water upstream from here. Maybe more if they cut out a downed tree. Just a little challenging to find your way. Follow the orange ribbons through the trees. (This be Wildfire solo playground :cool:) When going down stream stop at the stop sign look both ways and continue. ;). When you come to the sign that says dangerous water :rolleyes: think strongly if you have experience then go on. When you come to the fast moving water turn around when you see it unless you have a shuttle at the take out. You will not be going back up. Some one just recently pinned a Grumman rental canoe in this section like you can in white water. The signs are to keep the renters out of trouble. Meet a couple of newbies today and the signs are meant for their safety and a good idea for the rental place. Would not want to have to find lost renters here my self in the wide water forest. Their are orange post and orange blazes on trees even past the stop sign. The official trail goes way past the stop sign. The blazes are more or less needed as this is a cypress forest/swamp. Water running over a large area with a narrow path with current to make it through. As long as the cypress tress have there foliage this is a nice urban 4 hours of play time.

Thank you for letting me correct the impression I gave of Shingle Creek on this dead thread.

Oh and to the dangerous animal thing. I am going to buck the Florida tourist industry and warn of the manatee. Please do not report me to them. WARNING**The manatee is a curious animal and can tip you over when the are trying to figure out what you are**WARNING. So unless you are some place you do not care about being dumped in stay a little ways away. Do not become directly over one. Manatee often in groups. I have had this happen to me. Another forum member has also had this happen to them.

Back