• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Paddlers and Snow Walkers Gathering, Thetford VT, October 13-15, 2023

Reaction score
This is a new event to us, but Karen and I are looking forward to attending. There is a nice new website where detailed information is available. The program looks great and the presenters are outstanding. The website is

I received an e-mail for this event a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, it wasn't early enough for me to get out of work so I can attend. I contacted the address given in the information and learned the organizers are hoping to make this an annual event. They are also hoping to be able to announce the 2024 dates not long after this year's gathering is over. If they can do that, I'll get it on my calendar so as to be able to make it next year.

@RickR - Hope you enjoy this year's program. Would love to hear your review when it's all over.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I'll be there. The website's not updated but I'll be filling in and teaching one session of the poling clinic in the afternoon.

I'll be there as well. I believe @KeithA and Micheal from White Rose will be as well.

This is my home neck of the woods (both where I grew up and where I live now, again, after a long break), so if anyone has any questions or needs recommendations or anything, just let me know.

Looking forward to it!

I just returned home from this event, I met Rick and Karin, Catamounthardware, and renewed some old friendships and made many new friends.
I attended classes on axes, knots and tarps, and winter camping. I opted out of any “”on the water” classes but heard they where very good. The evening and morning presentations where also top notch, nice job Matt (paddlinhal) filling in with an outstanding video/talk on canoe poling.
The food was very good, the silent auction a big success (I picked up a 2 man timberline for $40), and the talk around the tables was fun and interesting.
To top it off our own low angle Al was passing by the area and stopped in for a visit. Nice surprise!
My goal was to use this event to motivate myself to get off my butt here at home and renew my interest in many projects in my shop. That was accomplished.

Attachments

• 20231015_083246.jpg
    20231015_083246.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20231014_111826.jpg
    20231014_111826.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Sounds like a good event, which was too far away to get me off my home-bound butt, and it's really satisfying that CTN has a big enough core of members to meet up naturally at various canoe gatherings.

I'm glad I made the drive over there to check it out. Although I was only there for a short time I did get to attend a presentation on canoe tripping, met some like minded people including Chris (catamounthardware on the forum) and had a nice talk with Robin. It was also good to be with a group where I wasn't wearing the oldest wool sweater in the crowd. I wish I had gotten there early enough to attend some on the water activities. Maybe next year.

Karen and I had a terrific weekend at the Paddlers and SnowWalkers gathering. It was nice to meet fellow CTN members. Somehow we missed catamount hardware and low angle al. Next time!

The Ohana Family Camp was a superb venue for the gathering. The schedule “pace” was just right with plenty of time for personal interaction. As already mentioned, the food was outstanding.

We split up on the workshops so were able to attend many: Map and Compass, Outdoor Cooking and Baking, Tarps and Knots, Canoe Poling, Making a Canoe Pole and Poling Tips and Food and Menu Planning. We both struggled deciding which workshop to attend as there were many enticing choices.

Friday evening and Saturday morning and evening there were guest speaker presentations:
Willem Lange, Readings
Sam Brakeley, Winter Camping in Vermont
Matt Hopkinson, Poling
Ray Rietze/Pat Dole, Winter Camping
Karrie Thomas, Backcountry Skiing with Family
Naomi Heindel, Effect of Fires in Quebec
Becky Mason and Reid McLachan, Paddling Local Quebec Rivers
Chris Giard, Canoeing in Labrador

Every speaker was knowledgeable, experienced and passionate about their topic. The knowledge and expertise shared was incredible.

This event has been happening for 30 plus years. Many of the participants have decades of experience in remote canoe travel with a common theme of extended, far northern trips. If you enjoy canoe tripping, and in particular are interested in remote trips, I’m sure you’d enjoy attending. A friend of ours who attended and is relocating soon to Michigan told us “I will be flying back for this next year “.IMG_1709.jpegIMG_1710.jpeg

It was a great event, very much agreed. I commuted, which meant I missed a bunch of fun stuff, but got a lot in nonetheless. And it amazed me that I ran into CTN folk everywhere I turned! @Robin and I had a nice chat, @KeithA and I attended both the Becky-and-Reid show and Jean Gerber's poling workshops, and I ran into @lowangle al in the parking area. And @RickR, I'm pretty sure Karen (and @KeithA) and I were in the same poling workshop, though we didn't realize the connection at the time.

I particularly enjoyed Becky Mason and Reid McLachen's presentation on canoeing waters within a day's drive of their home. Of course, they could stick to a few hour's drive of their home and still have better water to paddle than most of us do. Regardless, it was a fun and inspirational talk.

Also, the silent auction and door prize raffles were full of great stuff. Seth Gibson (from Keewaydin Dunmore) contributed paddles and moccasins and a few other handmade goods that he had brought back from the north over the years, for example.

Becky and Reid:
IMG_5152.jpeg

@KeithA and Michael from White Rose paddling one of those pretty Rhéaume boats:
IMG_5149.jpeg

Reading this discussion I now regret not going. Just wasn't in the cards.

Glad to hear this event was so well received. I knew when I saw the dates I wasn't going to be able to make it but the organizers assured me they were hoping to do it again in 2024 if this went well. Sounds like it did so I'm hoping next year's dates will be announced in time for me to get it on my calendar.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

PS - Maybe next year we can create our own get-together within the event. A BYO campfire or something. Just a thought...

PS - Maybe next year we can create our own get-together within the event. A BYO campfire or something. Just a thought...

That would be nice. This year I waited to register till the Tuesday before the event, not being sure how I would be feeling. The cut off was 80 people and I would guess there where over 60. Next year I will get my registration in earlier for sure.

Back