• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Paddle wrapping

Reaction score
Some folks recommend wrapping a paddle to protect it from the gunnels, or to protect the gunnels from the paddle, or both.

I know some use leather, and Shaw & Tenney and Lisa DeHart have videos on YouTube showing how to do it. I reached out to Fishell at one point about buying a wrap to put on myself and they said something to the effect of 'yeah we can sell you one, but if you haven't done it before it's kind of a pain and hard to get right the first time'.

I've heard of some folks using string instead of leather, perhaps with epoxy? I saw @lowangle al post this in a thread about w/c canoes.

You are right about that, but having wrapped my "go to" paddles with string the sound is more bearable and I can bang and rub without worrying about gunnel damage.

Folks who have used string, what type of string do you use, and how do you do it? Do you seal/coat it with something?

Nice, good tip, thanks! I was looking at leather bike handlebar wraps too. But I sort of balked at the idea of adhesives not necessarily made for repeated immersion in water. I take it from your photo that the tennis wrap has held up to repeated wetting and drying cycles?

I have never had the need to consider wrapping my paddles, since I never rub on or pry off the gunwales, don't see the need to when using proper power or control strokes. Pretty sure I am not doing anything wrong. I know that Bill Mason has wrapped his, and I know why after seeing at least one of his paddles that was nearly worn half way through.

I've trained myself to put my thumb between the gunnel and the paddle to avoid rubbing. But lots of folks who are far better paddlers than me seem to use the gunnel. This thread assumes you are in the camp that touches paddle to gunnel regularly, and feels the need for some protection (there are also those on this forum that do touch paddle to gunnel frequently but claim the wear is minimal and not worth a wrap). I know not all are in this camp, but that's a discussion that's been had on other threads.

Another potential option: I had a Bending Branches Expedition Plus paddle that had their "RockGuard" a ways up the throat, presumably to protect from gunwale rub Expedition Plus. The extension was pretty innocuous, and much lower profile than anything mentioned. To be high tech and low profile, maybe glassing a layer of Dynel on it might work, with a smooth finish. (Where's Mike McCrea?). Just a thought (might get Alan Gage excited).

Check out this link:

I was skeptical of my abilities but used this method with nylon cord (2mm?), no glue, no nothing just followed the instructions, the results were amazing, it has held up extremely well, still as tight as the day I did it with over 5,000 km of paddling all of it doing a goon stroke prying off the gunnel. I went with this because I was wearing a groove in my expensive carbon paddle from prying off the gunnel. The nylon cord is probably not quite as soft on my hands as traditional cotton but I'd guess cotton would be needing replacement more frequently and would also be "wet" to a greater extent than the nylon.

1686767143067.png

Back