• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Paddle,Pack and Speckled Trout by Edwin Mills

Reaction score
I received my new copy of this book today from Northland Outfitters www.northlandoutfitters.com. The book is a series of short stories of fishing/canoeing/camping experiences the author had from the 1930-50 time frame in the northern Ontario town of Nakina and the many fine rivers where he sought the great Speckled Trout.

The book is out of print, as was the book Traplines North which took place in the same area, has some of the same characters in it and was written by the same author.
I don't normally take books with me on canoe trips, but in August I have a solo trip planned for the area and I'm looking forward to re reading this book (I can't wait till August for the first read) while in the area it took place. I might not paddle the same streams and lakes the author did this year, but I'm hoping it plants a seed for future trips to this wonderful area.

The nice folks at Northland Outfitters also thru in a 36 page booklet about the story of the town of Nakina, "Nakina, the Fightingest Town in the North" free of charge.

I have copies of both books somewhere, and I have actually cleared out all the ports on the Drowning/Wabagimiga loop. Unfortunately, logging and forest fires have wiped out a couple of key ports on the Wabagimiga, making the loop almost impossible. However, if the Drowning River road is still good, I have a way of picking someone up 3.5 k up the Waba river. Just saying…..

Just got off the phone with the nice gentelman from Northland Outfitters. Wanted to Thank him for adding that extra booklet, and asked him about before/after acommadations which got us talking about "crown land" permits for non resident campers like myself.
It's his belief that if I rent a room/cabin before and after he can give me the waiver needed to forgo paying for a crown land permit. Not really worried about the permit fee's but happy to spend the money locally, plus he sounds like a great guy to hang out with and talk Northern Ontario.

He also has a small rental cabin about 5 portages in I might consider next year. That would be the way to go when my tripping days get behind me.

He also said the ice went out last night and the planes are flying today, one flew over him as we where talking. All this for the price of a phone call...a good day.

Back