• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

OvaEasy eggs still edible ????

Reaction score
I just came across an open package of OvaEasy eggs with one serving taken out of it that was involved in the Canadian recall. Now I have eaten one serving of this package when I bout it with no ill results so I am pretty sure there is nothing to worry about there.
They have been stored in the opened original package folded inside a sealed zip lock bag downstairs int he cold cellar but not refrigerated or frozen. Although I have no reference, the little bit I tasted off my finger seemed fine
So the question is, do you think they would still be OK to consume or should I just take more pancakes?

I had the same dilemna a few years ago.. I didn't chance it because I didn't want to risk ruining a trip. I bought more Ova Easy eggs. Probably not helpful to you as you may not be able to get more..

I had gotten mine at MEC.. Do they still have them?

Unless your pregnant or recovering from another illness I wouldn't worry!

Not available in Canada anymore. REI and Pack-It-Gourmet will ship but it will cost ya.

Ya I am thinking I should pass on them and not take the chance, but there is still that part of me that says go for it. I think I need to cook up a bit and see how it goes.
As Bothwell mentioned, they are no longer available in Canada at a reasonable cost and I have yet to ind anything else decent.

I understand now the aversion some people have to fresh egg alternatives. At a hotel breakfast buffet recently I saw a hot plate of scrambled eggs, and piled some on my plate. I did wonder how the cook had managed to make the scrambled eggs so uniformly consistent in soft pebbly size and texture, and when I took my first bite I realized how...they were not real eggs, but some kind of dried egg thing. Yuck! They were incredibly awful. I'm a little careful of buying dehydrated eggs, though I'd like to find some eventually for tripping. My wife refuses anything but the real deal. I've heard good things about OvaEasy, but not being easily available where I live makes it unlikely we'll switch from eggs in a shell anytime soon. Has anyone tried dried eggs from
http://www.bauly.com/Site/Home.html ?

Baulys is good.. I only buy it when I have an address in Canada where I can pick it up. Its been a few years but poor Len Bauly. I felt bad when I asked him to ship to my home in the US. He was such a polite chap with an English accent. and said yes he could but there would be a delay in that he had to fill out lots more paperwork for customs. So I didn't do that.

Get Baulys Hash Browns too..simply amazing.

Yes I will eat powdered eggs in camp.. No I will NOT eat them in a motel dining room.. And dont get me started on the fake fried eggs.. all white like a rubber hockey puck with a little drop of yellow food coloring in the middle.. Better living through NOT chemistry. I am getting picky about eggs now that I have a free source ( occasionally) of organic eggs. Neighbor bought chickens to mitigate ticks. The eggs are simply delicious. Maybe there is a market for ticks...

Oh how I wish I could keep chickens in my yard. Plenty large enough and fully fenced. Fashioning a coop wouldn't be a problem. Keeping me out of trouble with bylaws and neighbours would be tricky though.
I don't know what those egg-coloured pulpy facsimiles were at the buffet, but they didn't taste like eggs, didn't smell like eggs, didn't feel like eggs when they claggily caught in my craw. Funny thing. Next morning as I warily crept up to the buffet (fairly recovered from the night before spent in an Irish pub after a great wedding), I spied real scrambled eggs on offer. Yum. Had someone complained?
I'll try Baulys. If you need an address south of Toronto pm me.
Back to the OP. I wouldn't take a chance with the eggs Rob. Highly unlikely you'd have a problem, but the day you eat some might not be your lucky day.

For unopened packages, some of the manufacturers are now claiming 25+ years to safely eat (meaning, what, it won't make you sick?)...

Several years ago, we packed a safety net supply of 5 year old big name brand backpackers meals for a big Alaskan float trip where we readily planned on eating fresh caught fish for 2 or more meals for each of us. Needless to say we got skunked on the fish, the plane was late picking us up for another day and we ate the meals. They didn't make anyone sick, but they were clearly past their prime. Lesson learned.

I had Ovaeasy in a scramble for the first time, lots of veggies, cheeses, etc...and it beat out in ease of hauling, storage and prep our normal eat fresh eggs first day out routine. During winter trips we freeze in baggies eggs plus baggies of cheeses, meats, veggies...travels well.

Well I cooked up a small portion and they seemed to taste OK with no ill side effects so far but sitting at home is one thing and being in the middle of a 18 day solo in Wabakimi is another so I think I will give these a pass.
Not sure how I missed Bauly's and if I was not leaving in a week and a half I would order some, Looks like another trip to M.E.C. is in order for a few of the add water breakfasts to eat in a wrap. anyone have any favorites or recommend something that is at least edible?

Back