• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

One thing I will never do again is . . .

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"invite anyone on a trip who is not a nice person. You can teach a nice person how to camp and paddle, but you can’t teach a skilled jerk to be nice." — Cliff Jacobson

Things I will never do again include:

- putting Kevlar felt skid plates on a new canoe (ugly, noisy, unnecessary)
- day paddling the east entrance of the Okefenokee Swamp (artificially canalized and boring) (the west entrance is interesting)

How about you?

I will never buy another canoe to restore and resell. I ended up with more canoes than I could actually use or easily restore like in the old days. Now that I have moved a few to new owners, the pressure is off. I still have two more project canoes, but they can wait, I see more paddling time in my future.

Go on a monthlong trip with a canoe partner that isn't tried and true.

"invite anyone on a trip who is not a nice person. You can teach a nice person how to camp and paddle, but you can’t teach a skilled jerk to be nice." — Cliff Jacobson

Things I will never do again include:

- putting Kevlar felt skid plates on a new canoe (ugly, noisy, unnecessary)
- day paddling the east entrance of the Okefenokee Swamp (artificially canalized and boring) (the west entrance is interesting)

How about you?
I will never shed tears again because Glenn called my canoe ugly, noisy and unnecessary.........

I will never again home dehydrate 20 kilograms (44 pounds!) of dry weight food per paddler! as required by the rules to start with during the first ever Yukon River 1000 mile canoe race. I had seven paddlers in my voyageur canoe to feed. I spent months dehydrating, storing, sorting and packaging that much food into two full high calorie meals/day, plus daytime snacks before the first 2009 race. Plus, it all was required to be packed in certified bear resistant containers. In the end we only used a total of just 1/4 of it during our six day paddle to the finish line, and no one went hungry or lost any weight. Thankfully, race officials dropped that ridiculous requirement for the second and subsequent year races. The next year I dehydrate, packed, and we brought only enough food to last for up to ten days.

Last edited:
I will never refuse a good friend my last pair of clean gotchies on a trip. That should never happen. I still feel bad about that.
I should've gone commando for the sake of a friend in need thing.

I will never refuse a good friend my last pair of clean gotchies on a trip. That should never happen. I still feel bad about that.
I should've gone commando for the sake of a friend in need thing.
An old scouting rule of thumb is that a single pair of underwear (gotchies) will last 4 days while camping, front/back and then inside out front/back.... Of course if you share a tent with buddy, then you each will get 8 days of wear.

Strange that Odyssey should talk about lending gotchies.....he probably get's that request frequently........I will never again eat Odyssey's jalapeno bannock or pancake, or whatever was the delivery package for the molten fire that made my bunghole resemble Mic Jaggers lips.

Glenn, the trick is to turn left! As I recall from my summer working in Oke many moons ago, Chesser Prairie, the first turn south off the canal, usually had good wildlife and scenery. The west entrance was better though. I also haven't been back since before the scenery-changing catastrophic wildfire they had about 10 yrs ago....

Pictures, Pat?
Pictures don't really do it justice... but here are a few.

The pleasant paddle up Harrison Brook prior to the drag.
tempImagePH5VKD.png
In the thick of the bog. Some of the channels were quite narrow, but waist deep! (sorry about the vertically oriented photo showing as horizontal here):
tempImageoPKr5p.png
Typical channel; too narrow to paddle effectively, quite deep to drag with no solid ground adjacent to stand on and line the canoe:
tempImageaXhgki.png
Random machine part ( I have since learned it's a modern brake rotor!) resting on a tiny beaver dam which created a level change in the narrow channel:
tempImageXb5Hjk.png

Once I gave up on the bog and dragged the canoe over to the railroad right of way, I discovered that I was within probably 75 feet of the place where the right of way carry departed into the woods over to Clear Pond. Here, finally back on track to Clear Pond:
tempImage7iJQXd.png

Harrison Brook:Clear Pond ADKs.jpg

Harrison Brook area: Lake Lila is off the map to the bottom, my erroneous path to and through Harrison Brook bog is in red, turnoff on Rainer Creek to the proper carry landing is in green, the actual carry along the railway right of way and through woods to Clear Pond is in yellow. Clear Pond is just visible at the top of the map- end of yellow path.

Back