• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Old Town OCTA

Reaction score
My buddy Bob and I have been working on this OT OCTA. It needed inwales and a bunch of plank, which is old hat for us but with the weather we have been having here in the northeast, we moved the canoe into my basement and got to work.

New inwales installed

New plank too

We moved it out of the basement to my shop in the barn thinking it's almost April so the weather had to improve and we could start stripping the old finish
The new plank and inwales

After the first phase of stripping drying out in 40 degree temps cold hands and feet but it's a good start come on spring!

Back to work tomorrow, maybe a 50 degree day!

Robin, love the pics. Looking forward to seeing your completed project. I see many questions in my future as my son just picked up 2 old Thompson Bros canoes last week. They are not in too bad shape but I do see having to learn how to re-canvas a canoe in my future. My first question is this - the bottom of one has cracked paint but water only seems to seep very slowly through and we were thinking of sanding it down and re-painting to get through this summer and then dealing with new canvas next winter - any thoughts?

Greg

Just went to the Old Town page to check out the specs on that canoe. They are still making that one in canvas for the mere prices of $8,999.00. Is that price for real?

Old town subs. So their price is jacked up. I believe Rollin Thurlow actually makes the canoe and toucan buy direct from him for a lot less

Robin, love the pics. Looking forward to seeing your completed project. I see many questions in my future as my son just picked up 2 old Thompson Bros canoes last week. They are not in too bad shape but I do see having to learn how to re-canvas a canoe in my future. My first question is this - the bottom of one has cracked paint but water only seems to seep very slowly through and we were thinking of sanding it down and re-painting to get through this summer and then dealing with new canvas next winter - any thoughts?

Greg

Thompsons are nice canoes, post some pictures when you get a chance.

You can try Valspar oil based paint from Tractor Supply (pretty cheap) or Porch paint, or heat up some pine sap with a little bacon grese and charcol, like an old birch bark.

Keep some with you and make repairs riverside like a Voyager, heating it up over a fire and apply with a stick. You might get some strange looks from the folks in more modern canoes though.

Maybe hot tar spread thin?

11101082_10152874723000838_2849934570530589105_o.jpg Here's a pic of the first one, second one is in route. Will post a few close ups later. Best guess by WCHA is this is from the 1930's. Found it though the classified on this site!

Nice looking canoe, exterior stem looks nice too. I saw this picture on Sanborn canoe, you did well to get it. I bet it paddles nicely!

Yeah Robin, my son and my nephew are the Sanborn guys. Nice thing about that is that it gives me access to additional woodworking equipment that I otherwise wouldn't have. I've hijacked the end of my garage and built a room I can do canoes in without forcing the wifes car outside. Time to quit talking about building a canoe and actually build one.

We have finished stripping it between snow squalls, today we are sanding the inside of the hull and steaming/bending the two full ribs and steaming/bending/installing 2 cant ribs.

Here;s my steam box I boil water in the can and it flows up the rubber hose to the steam box,

The ribs to be steamed are on top of the box. I made those ribs from 1x4 cedar stock and soaked them for a couple of days in water, they then get placed in the steam box for 5-7 minutes or until they feel just right.
I don't know what "just right" feels like but I pull them out and give them a little bend and say "not yet"...Bob is impressed as heck!

We then bend them around the overturned canoe one rib out from the spot the new rib will go in being careful to get a tight fit around the canoe

The cant ribs are short ribs that fit around the stem at either end of the canoe. We needed to replace 2.. Although some are one piece from the factory, we make them two piece and hope for a good fit after they dry. I placed a screw into the hardwood stem to hold them up against the canoe for a good fit. We'll see tomorrow how they fit after some trimming and sanding a bevel across the bottom of the rib where it meets the stem.

Good to see you holding down the antique boat building side of life amongst all the high tech stripper builds ongoing.

Robin it looks great! Nice steam box set up. Just don't let the PC police catch you using an old Colman stove where one could try and refill the tank while it's still burning.

That Coleman works fine just don't put too much water in the can. It only needs steam for 7-8 ins at the most plus I can use the stove when I take the G'Kids car camping!

I meant no disrespect Robin, I have 3 old Colmans myself with that type of fuel tank. Was poking fun at the reason Colman had to do a redesign.

I re-read your post #16. Did people really try to refill that tank while it was hot or being used? I like that stove I have 2, I never heard about the problems.

I'm aware that the oversized can on top of the burner can create an overheating issue, but to refill a tank being used is crazy...oh well, old is good:)

Back