• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Old cheap (nowadays) lense that can be used with modern Sony DLSR.

Reaction score
This post was inspired by Yellow canoes response in another thread about using old cheep lenses with out VR.

Was looking around for lenses for my Nikon DLSR and was finding that a 28-300 wide angle was out of my affordability range. Bought a used Nikon D3100 as I was tired of not having enough focal length in a pocket camera and missing shots. It helped some but still wanted more length for some wild life shots. While looking for afordable 300mm lens for Nikon ran across a Sony A55 with a 300mm lens for less than a used Nikon 300mm lens alone.

How is this possible? Some of the Sony DLSR are Minolta A mount compatible. The vibration reduction is in the body not the lens so any old A mount Minolta lens works like a new Nikon or Cannon with VR. Have bought several old Minolta Maxxium film cameras for less than $30.00 just to get the lens they come with. A 28 -300 lens in good shape for less than $30.00 is a great deal. Then so the body dose not go to waste. A friends film camera collection gets bigger by what is not needed by me of the bundle that was bought. A x2 teleconverter even works with it and takes decent shots but have to use manual mode.

Now my owls are not well defined brown blobs and the next time I see a gator with a otter in its mouth might just be able to get the shot from far enough back to not scare it into diving before being in range. The 28-300 wide angle with a polarizing filter has turned out to be very good for canoe use. I know their are much better lenses out there but for the price this is very good.

Anouther tip from Yellowcanoe has me using two dry bags with a towel for cushion in the bottom of the first dry bag. One inside another to keep the camera safe. This is quitier than the snapping sound of the dry box latches opening. What I call lens cap leash also helps a lot. Losing 72 mm caps when they go overboard gets expensive.

Last edited:
We need Pictures!! The other nice thing with adjustable shutter speed is you can up it to 1/1000 or more to get sharp shots even hand held.. You did a lot of research.. I have an old Minolta SR-T101 and a bunch of lenses for it.. I'm using Canon now.. Wondering how I can find out compatability with a Canon 70D..

Great option on the Sony/Minolta mount lenses. I purchased a Sony A350 with the two stock, cheap Chinese made lenses from Sony. They have plastic gears on the auto focus and numerous lenses have A/F issues. I have been searching online auctions and have now purchased nine used Minolta, Sigma, Tamron and Vivitar lenses with the Sony/Minolta mount . Only one lens has a compatibility issue, the camera does not recognize it and it will not shoot in automatic, only manual. So for spending something like $120, I wound up with a decent selection of lenses. Good quality polarizing and UV filters cost more than the lenses.
I am hoping to get some great shots on the upcoming get together.

Last edited:
Back