• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

BWCA Round Lake loop

Great report Steve! I read it in your blog, didn’t realize you had posted it here too!

Thanks! I'm very pleased that you enjoyed the report.

I'll post any of my canoe trips here as well as on my blog. This site is largely responsible for the blog even existing (I enjoyed writing this trip report so much that I just kept going and started my blog afterward). I've run across a few trip reports where the externally linked sites were no longer operational and it frustrates me so I choose to double post as my way of giving back to this site in the hope that the trip reports (plural by the end of 2023) might outlive me.

I've often wondered if anyone has found their way to my site and knowing that you found if before reading it here made my Christmas! Hope your is merry as well and you have a happy New Year.

Thanks! I'm very pleased that you enjoyed the report.

I'll post any of my canoe trips here as well as on my blog. This site is largely responsible for the blog even existing (I enjoyed writing this trip report so much that I just kept going and started my blog afterward). I've run across a few trip reports where the externally linked sites were no longer operational and it frustrates me so I choose to double post as my way of giving back to this site in the hope that the trip reports (plural by the end of 2023) might outlive me.

I've often wondered if anyone has found their way to my site and knowing that you found if before reading it here made my Christmas! Hope your is merry as well and you have a happy New Year.
It actually took me a while to figure out just HOW I found the blog, and to whom it belonged. On an iPhone, you have to turn it sideways to see the signature line and I don’t normally do that unless trying to read small font. Your avatar here and matching selfie in the blog put it together for me!

Fun report! My son and I canoed part of your route last summer (we went Birch, Knife, down to Kek, Gabi, Little Sag, Frost River, Long Island, out at Round) and also took a solo last year in Wabakimi, so I greatly enjoyed your solo adventure. Way to perservere!

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Going from Little Sag to Long Island, you went upstream on the Frost. I wouldn't expect, with all the beaver dams, that current would be an issue but I would expect that you might maximize the number of people you'd see (I only met one group going up but you'd likely meet all of the ones going down). What time of the year did you go?

I've also often wondered if the widow makers had been cleared from the Whipped lake site. Seemed it would have been a great site except for the imminent danger of trees falling on the tent. (honestly, kinda feel like I want to go back & cut them down but the USFS would probably have a cow)

PS: Hope your boy was old enough to carry the canoe... The port from Afton to Fente would have to be even worse in that direction!

honestly, kinda feel like I want to go back & cut them down but the USFS would probably have a cow
Isn’t that just bonkers? By having an established camp site, seems to me the priority MUST change from conservation/preservation of “the resource” to conservation/preservation of human life. Honestly, these folks… sometimes…

Those widow makers were dead so there'd be no issue cutting them except that, for trees that size, I'd use a chain saw (which they would NOT be OK with... IF, of course, they found out).

As for priorities, I assumed that they just hadn't gotten around to it when I was there. The Frost river is not a heavily traveled area so I'm sure the sites on that route are not top priority. At the same time, I didn't report it so, if nobody else did either, we'd have to rely on a chance patrol or hope someone from the USFS reads the trip report.

Back