• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

OBX paddling?

G

There was discussion on the DIY board about paddling opportunities in the Outer Banks. I know of a couple mostly protected routes that would be more appropriate of an open canoe than the Atlantic or wide open bays on the west, especially given OBX’s deserved reputation for near constant winds.

I found this while searching for maps or info on one of those routes:

http://home.comcast.net/~wwrivrrat/obx.htm

I think I’ll be stopping somewhere along the Outer Banks this winter. Does anyone know of paddle-in campsites on/behind the Outer Banks?

OBX

I wish I could help, but I’m years and miles behind you Mike. After soaking up your route suggestions, I dug out my 3 books on OBX history and touristy stuff. When I checked the dates I nearly choked; it’s been at least 10 years since we were last there. I double checked our “family beach bulletin board” of beach photos from OBX, L.Superior, Great Lakes …and yup, our kids were young! That explains why my feet miss that sand so much, and the sunsets…
Since reading an excellent post by Pringles regarding guided trips, we’ve decided to take a few eco-tours in the area. My brother lives in the Raleigh area, so I’d like to try to CONvince him to think trip planning for the near future. Who knows, just maybe someday soon you’ll see another roasting pan fire over a distant dune. I hope it’ll be mine.
http://www.ncpaddletrails.info/trail-maps.aspx

Not OBX but too good to miss on the way

Not OBX but too good to miss on the way

Brad, depending on your route to OBX you may pass within striking distance of Merchants Millpond State Park. You won’t do better as a family day paddling (or reservable site paddle-in camping) venue in the mid-Atlantic.

http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/memi/main.php

MMP has rental canoes (paddles and PFDs) at a pond-side launch behind the Park office. MMP really is a gem and well worth taking time to see. The Lassiter Swamp and Bennets Creek at the end of the pond are beyond gems.

Perhaps plan your route to pass by with at least a few hours to paddle.

Thanks Mike. I have driven through this area on my way to/from OBX, but with my tunnel vision focused on destinations I had no idea what was just off the highway. A solid 15 – 17 hour driving day will do that (though I don’t do that anymore). Merchants Millpond looks especially interesting, as it accommodates some backcountry camping as well as lots of day tripping sights to explore. This has most definitely been added to my NC paddle wish list. It would make a great stop over for one or more days.
It’s frustrating that I can’t find a “one stop shopping” source for paddling destinations in provinces, states etc. I guess that is generally left up to private interest groups to supply, such as this site, and canoe clubs. There are inventories of trip logs and equipment suppliers, but I can’t find any for destination resource information. A one stop shopping list per State, Province etc with all pertinent web addresses would be really helpful in trip planning, as well as trip wish list planning.
Categories might be Federal/National Parks, State/Provincial Parks, ZEC, Crown Lands, etc, with a list of places and useful information in each category.
Anyway, a great many thanks for this MM-NC info Mike, it really does look like a local hidden gem.

Try www.obxpaddlers.org sponsored by the Outer Banks Paddlers Club. The public section of the site includes a list of kayak launch sites up and down the Outer Banks.

Back