• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Oar Holders

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am trying to locate an oar holder - this may be the wrong description.

For a boat, while on the water there is a a device that you can set your oar blade in when not is use. It is sort of "U" shaped, and clamps on to the gunnel by the transom. Keeps the water from dripping into the boat as well.

Fishing guides always had them on their boats. I cannot find these any where on the web.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you.

This might be a problem no one needs a solution for but me. Our spare paddle is held with bungees to the side of the canoe and fits nicely being a bent shaft. It stays there for the whole trip, portages and all. We never broke a paddle, but when you do, you're glad to have a spare.

More often than not as we load the packs into the canoe, the blade catches on the bag being loaded, turns sideways and into an obstacle that needs to be readjusted. Multiply this by x portages a day and you see my problem.

Today, I made a cradle out of a little piece of hard maple lumber. It's glued and screwed to the yoke. It keeps the shaft from moving toward the center of the canoe when the blade gets turned and keeps the blade vertical. This is my attempt at a solution. I'm curious to hear where you keep your spare.

url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/133956285@N05/][/url]

Something like this, only on top of the yoke/thwart?

Hi folks,

Thank you all for the replies.

I still can't believe I can't find this part. It is nothing more then a piece of plastic.

When I track one down I'll post a pic - although I might be the only person that wants one!

Here are some pieces of plastic that might work. Contact me if you want them.
Paddle-Clips.jpeg - Paddle Clips?

If we are talking about paddle holder clips, not oar locks, I tried some and Did. Not. Like. Them.

These things

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

They held a paddle well enough, but with anything except an aluminum they were heck on the shaft, leaving scrapes on wood and scratches on carbon shafts. Repurposed to hold the more slender rod handles on the FishFinder they work fine.

PC200035 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

There are better, less shaft abusive ways to skin that cat.

Back