• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

North of Superior

Reaction score
I'm walking down memory lane again here. I first saw this film in 1971, and on a big screen it filled me with wonder and awe. It also might've planted a few seeds of wanderlust, some only fulfilled from canoeing this land. Enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91n-d1ZFjcs
The image quality is poor, but the content is splendid.

Ok a little stomach churning but I recognize Sibley Peninsula. I like the view better from my sea canoe. Its country we do like to paddle in.

Thanks for a great piece of film. It is Big Country. I have had my butt kicked many times on Lakes like Tahoe and Pyramid. I can only imagine how fast a lake like Superior can get nasty and make a paddler wish they were on dry land. I was in Duluth once on the way to BWCA and it made a very positive impression.

That was the first IMAX film made in Canada. There are some interesting comments under the YouTube video. It started as a crappy little square on the screen and then burst into the giant imax format as the plane skimmed the waves towards Sibley peninsula.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I recall our grade four teacher taking us to a logging camp to see those machines demolish a forest in an afternoon. For a few weeks I wanted to grow up and operate a Koehring Watrous. I didn't remember the name of the machine...only the brand! I remember tubing in the winter down those hills at breakneck speed. Eventually someone did break their neck and that put a damper on things. Thunder Bay was full of young folks in those days. At one time there were five ski hills running, full of people, and we skied every weekend and once during the week for night skiing.
Like me, most young people left to find jobs elsewhere as the logging, paper, shipping, grain elevators, and other primary jobs disappeared. The population shrank. Now TBay has one of the oldest populations demographically in Ontario. But it seems to be turning the corner now, with a focus on education and health research, etc attracting students and researchers. Moneysense magazine arrived yesterday and said TBay is first out of 100 Canadian cities to invest in real estate because it is undervalued and due to rise!

Back