• Happy 1st Showing of a Color Photograph (1861)! 📷🎥🏳️‍🌈

NFCT

Reaction score
So I want to do the NFCT possibly next year. Has anyone here done it and what's the best window to do it?

I have been interested in doing the nfct also. I suggest you check the paddlers blogs. There is a lot of really great information there. There is also a book titled something like the thru paddlers guide.
It seems that the nfct is best tackled early spring as the rivers get too shallow in summer.

I know a member here, Riverstrider, has done many sections of the NFCT and then last year another member, 50littlebirds did a thru paddle in an Old Town 50lber wood canvas canoe. I haven't found much information about his trip, he might be writing a book, but here's some info on his preparation etc.
http://50littlebirds.com/tag/canoe/

Last edited:
Could people please explain their acronyms? This one I could figure out after some pondering. What is obvious to people in the NE is a mystery to those in the West and vice versa. Anyone paddled the KLCT? That is the Klamath Lake Canoe Trail. How about the GRWSRC? That is the Grande Rhonde Wild and Scenic River Corridor.

Northern Forest Canoe Trail. Old Forge, NY to Ft. Kent, ME.

Could people please explain their acronyms? This one I could figure out after some pondering. What is obvious to people in the NE is a mystery to those in the West and vice versa. Anyone paddled the KLCT? That is the Klamath Lake Canoe Trail. How about the GRWSRC? That is the Grande Rhonde Wild and Scenic River Corridor.

I'll ask SWMBO if I can.

Just received this book but have not read it yet. My best friend and I are contemplating a go at it in2016
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0996052518

I have that book and it is an excellent resource; probably the most useful book for through paddlers there is to date. I definitely recommend checking out the blogs available on the Northern Forest Canoe Trail web site...a lot of great info that you won't necessarily find in any guidebooks.

Starting as early as you can will give you the best chance for having water in some of these river sections, with the caveat that it also means higher water levels for some of the upstream segments, especially the Missisquoi, Clyde, Upper Ammonoosuc and the Androscoggin. No matter what time you leave, you will be extraordinarily lucky if you have enough water to do any of the South Branch Dead River. One of the reasons I have been section paddling the NFCT instead of through paddling it (aside from the impossibility of getting that much time off work) is that I can do each segment at ideal times and water levels, downstream.

A heavy duty canoe cart and a repair kit for it is essential. This trail eats up carts and spits them out in pieces.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions on any of the segments.

-rs

Back