• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

New paddle making tools!

Reaction score
I have just acquired some experienced shaping tools for my paddle making efforts. These tools are from the shop of a recently deceased Windsor chair maker. The fellow made some 1700 Windsor chairs in his career, along with a side hobby of hand-made split bamboo fly rods, landing nets, and hand-tied flies. Following some significant home improvements, I hope to utilize them this Spring once I begin the restoration of the Chestnut Chum I bought late last year.

F8491A73-DBAE-412C-92CA-3A593613173C_1_201_a.jpeg

The old fellow also owned this lovely pack basket, given him as a 60th birthday present, some 20 years ago! His widow was not willing to part with it however.

tempImageRRuIi0.png

Lastly, as his chair work required steam bending 8' lengths of wood for the Windsor chairs, he built this massive steam chamber. If you know anyone who needs such a large, production quality stainless steel chamber, please let me know. It's located in south east Pennsylvania.
tempImagexeS6Pa.png

Last edited:
That’s fantastic. I’m a sucker for old hand tools. I’ve been keeping my eye out for a nice old draw knife for some time for the same purpose.

I too love old tools, but my son gave me one of these. He bought one when he was building his log sided house. I kind of laughed it off, saying it was just another ROS sander. He said it was an Awesome shaping tool.
I trust his judgement, and he was right !

With a good 40grit sanding disc ? I call this the Hog !

Should be a good tool for paddle making.

shopping

Here are two looking for a new home. Your choice Bob. I will tune them up and sharpen for work. He top one is 6” and labeled Newhaven, the bottom one is 5” and not labeled. In my opinion the top one is a better shave. I do like a curved edge, the smaller one is straight.
Pm me your choice and address.
Jim

19439D72-2FD9-427A-BB8D-0A4448258D50.jpeg

Good for you Patrick! It's always nice to acquire hand tools with known history. It's hard to find high quality files and rasps today. I very fine craftsman gave me this advise: "If you come across a rasp or file with a nice handle, buy it. No one goes to that trouble for a poor piece of steel".

Back