• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

New from NY

Reaction score
Hey all,

My name is Ed and I'm from Upstate CNY area and signed up here recently to try and do some learning.
I'm not brand new to canoeing though I would suggest I am still novice.

I am predominantly low intensity canoe tripper type. I am open to and have done some multi-day canoe camp trips and that is primarily my interest. That and just some day trip paddles with the wife and friends etc.

I'm retired (young) and have the time and interest in getting out backpacking and canoeing when I'm not sailing on the lake or chipping away at my "honey do list."

Anyway... Hope you're having fun. I know I am.

Mars - Welcome to the board. I live not too far from you based on the location you've stated. I'm actually just off Rt. 28, south of Milford. If you're ever interested in getting out on the Susquehanna, let me know.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

PS - Do you also frequent the Bushcraft USA forum from time to time?

Welcome
I'm diffidently newer in canoeing than you. Planning to pick up my first canoe in early May. Although I live in Michigan, I was born and raised in the Rochester area.
This forum is great for knowledge.
alan

Mars, there's some good canoeing in your area. I know you said you are a low intensity tripper, but you might enjoy watching or participating in some way in some of the classic canoe races near you. The General Clinton 70 mile is coming up on Memorial Day. It is a fun race to watch, and even more fun to paddle. There are several other events right there in your area as well, some are high intensity, some are more just for the fun of it.

You might consider joining the Adirondack Mountain Club. Monthly meetings are held in New Hartford, and there are several members who enjoy the same kind of paddling as you. Trips are scheduled all the time during paddling season.

I'm from a bit farther north than you, on the western edge of the Adirondacks. Paddling opportunities abound around here, whether for casual day tripping or multi-day wilderness camping, as well as several race events. The season is just beginning... come enjoy.

Hello Mars,
I have a former workmate that lives around you, he sails on Otsego regularly, I think he's got a Thistle.
What class sailboat do you have? And what canoe?
There are quite a few of us here that can recommend some excellent ADK trips, just describe the sort of adventure you want and I'm sure we can offer some interesting suggestions. Anything from mild to wild...

Mars - Welcome to the board. I live not too far from you based on the location you've stated. I'm actually just off Rt. 28, south of Milford. If you're ever interested in getting out on the Susquehanna, let me know.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

PS - Do you also frequent the Bushcraft USA forum from time to time?

I do. I'm also on there as Mars as well.
And I'm always looking to get out.

I'm in the planning process of doing the full length of the Susquehanna. 444 miles trip. I would like to do out this summer or early fall.

Mars, there's some good canoeing in your area. I know you said you are a low intensity tripper, but you might enjoy watching or participating in some way in some of the classic canoe races near you. The General Clinton 70 mile is coming up on Memorial Day. It is a fun race to watch, and even more fun to paddle. There are several other events right there in your area as well, some are high intensity, some are more just for the fun of it.

You might consider joining the Adirondack Mountain Club. Monthly meetings are held in New Hartford, and there are several members who enjoy the same kind of paddling as you. Trips are scheduled all the time during paddling season.

I'm from a bit farther north than you, on the western edge of the Adirondacks. Paddling opportunities abound around here, whether for casual day tripping or multi-day wilderness camping, as well as several race events. The season is just beginning... come enjoy.

Yes there is a lot of canoe opportunities here.

I have paddled the 70 mile General Clinton regatta twice.

I have been kicking the ADK club idea around. Maybe I'll just do it. ...

Hello Mars,
I have a former workmate that lives around you, he sails on Otsego regularly, I think he's got a Thistle.
What class sailboat do you have? And what canoe?
There are quite a few of us here that can recommend some excellent ADK trips, just describe the sort of adventure you want and I'm sure we can offer some interesting suggestions. Anything from mild to wild...

Stripper,
We own 2 sailboats actually. One is a 1968 O'Day Day Sailor 1 and the other a 25' O'Day.

We have had both on Otsego, but now only the Day Sailor is on the lake. We keep the 25 on the Hudson out of Kingston. Although this year she will be dirt Sailing as I want to do some projects on her that are best done on land.

Mars - I know of a couple of people who have paddled the length of the Susquehanna. The one person lives in the village of Milford and did it as a retirement present to himself when he left working at SUCO. The other was an adjunct at SUCO in the outdoor program. I guess my point is that both folks did it pretty much right after graduation (this year that will be 5/16) because they were concerned about water levels. You may already be aware of all that and if so, I apologize for bringing it up. Just a consideration I figure you should know two others have already contemplated.

As for getting together to paddle, hopefully we can do that once the snow finally stops flying. Until then...be well.

snapper

Hey Mars, welcome. Good folks here, including a few others from BCUSA... Murat V comes readily to mind. Welcome.

Back