• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Greetings from NE Texas!

Reaction score
Hello all! Greetings from NE Texas! I'm originally from Michigan and had some nice canoe experiences when I was a kid.

I moved to Texas when I met my wife and we have 3 kids, ages 2, 4, and 6.

Looking to foster a love for the outdoors in my kids and I'm determined to get them camping, fishing, and canoeing as much as possible.

Thanks for reading and hope everyone has a blessed day!

Welcome aboard!
My Dad built a kit canoe when I was four and started me on a lifetime obsession with boats. Thanks Dad!

Welcome!
I notice you make the distinction of being from NE Texas, just a geographical thing or is there more to it?
I’m from upstate NY, a distinction necessary to let people know that I’m NOT a city boy…

I know nothing about Texas, are there ample paddling and camping opportunities near you?
I was raised with paddling camping hunting trips in the wilderness areas of the Adirondacks, my grown kids share the same love and respect for the area.
Great that you want your kids to enjoy the outdoors as did you.
Hopefully you’ll gather a lifetime of shared memories with them.

Welcome!
I notice you make the distinction of being from NE Texas, just a geographical thing or is there more to it?
I’m from upstate NY, a distinction necessary to let people know that I’m NOT a city boy…

I know nothing about Texas, are there ample paddling and camping opportunities near you?
I was raised with paddling camping hunting trips in the wilderness areas of the Adirondacks, my grown kids share the same love and respect for the area.
Great that you want your kids to enjoy the outdoors as did you.
Hopefully you’ll gather a lifetime of shared memories with them.
Thanks for the reply! NE Texas is more of a forest/water area than probably a majority of Texas, but I'd still say opportunities for canoeing are limited. There are a few smaller lakes, and only one somewhat large enough river in my local area. Camping is fairly plentiful, but also less than what I grew up with in Michigan.

Perhaps I'm not familiar enough with the area to really say all that with certainty - only been here 12ish years and really haven't tried to get on the water much during that time. Getting married, first house, fixing up said house, and having young kids really kept that desire to a minimum. Now that they're getting old enough to start remembering and participating it's coming back strong haha.

I've seen pictures of upstate NY and I'd LOVE to come see it myself.

Hello all! Greetings from NE Texas!

Anedae, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos, and to start threads, in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please add your location to the Account Details page in your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is a geographic sport. Many of the site's technical features are explained in Features: Help and How-To Running Thread. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

We have some other members from Texas and I Iived in Austin for two years. Texas is a very big place with lots of different landscapes and geography, so make the best of where you live and consider traveling to further destinations to find interesting waters from time to time with your family or a club. There's lots of canoeing in Arkansas and Louisiana, for example.

Back