• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

My first wanigan experience

Nice thread, I like that picture in post 2, reminds me of my wall tent trips to Lows Lake in NY ADKs.
C91F9E62-9160-46B4-9589-B63561BA7DAD.jpeg

I really like my wanigan for all the reasons mentioned, but not being another piece of plastic puts it at the top of the list. When I “carried” around the upper dam at Lows the wanigan rode in this 18’ wood canvas canoe on my cart. Nowadays I don’t portage, so the wanigan is pretty much part of my kit.
Wanigans have many good uses,
669D9F5E-47BC-4B07-A553-EF3EDA505C62.JPG

I recently added leather straps to my wanigan, one step closer to a wood, canvas, metal and leather outfit.
618445BF-0F5E-4640-ABE1-17B11BA966B1.JPG

Here’s a video of me building my wanigan, I’m no wood worker but it’s held up well for many trips.

I replaced one of my Duluth packs with a Wannigan last seaon. I'm happy with it. Easier to organize, makes a good seat or stool if needed. Mine has a chess board on the underside of the top. I'm a fan.

Back in the day using a wannigan we brought along a backpack frame with a shelf on it for portaging. It worked pretty darn good and when not being used it kept gear out of the bilge water.

1654334801628.png

Back in the day using a wannigan we brought along a backpack frame with a shelf on it for portaging. It worked pretty dang good and when not being used it kept gear out of the bilge water.

View attachment 131032
I got one of those from the same guy that i got the wannigan from, it's been hanging on the wall for almost 25 years, I guess I should check it out.

The tent came in… a bit of a learning curve to set up… I’m excited to give it a try soon… hopefully in my w/c canoe

Attachments

• 43F0DDF1-39E4-4809-A073-CE823ADA37B1.jpeg
    43F0DDF1-39E4-4809-A073-CE823ADA37B1.jpeg
    289.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 9B5471E9-3D0A-4847-9FE9-3129CE88A92C.jpeg
    9B5471E9-3D0A-4847-9FE9-3129CE88A92C.jpeg
    308.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 328C9F7B-2E07-4261-BB75-BFB57C9C417A.jpeg
    328C9F7B-2E07-4261-BB75-BFB57C9C417A.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 26
Thanks to Lowangle Al’s thread here…I have started my build for a Wanigan as I progress in my restoration of my WC canoe… first sanding of outside completed… for the bottom and short sides I used reclaimed yellow pine from my boyhood farm house the rest is 1/4 pine plywood … please excuse my lack of woodworking skills,,, but I believe it will be functional

Attachments

• 509978CB-FD83-4A06-9DC0-534B1E344538.jpeg
    509978CB-FD83-4A06-9DC0-534B1E344538.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 3DDD50DD-EFE7-4E9C-BCF9-2F475659D6E1.jpeg
    3DDD50DD-EFE7-4E9C-BCF9-2F475659D6E1.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 4794F5DF-4409-4343-9417-FCD0BACC3AE5.jpeg
    4794F5DF-4409-4343-9417-FCD0BACC3AE5.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 021A86F5-FF2C-4075-9BF7-593659D6FF3E.jpeg
    021A86F5-FF2C-4075-9BF7-593659D6FF3E.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 29
Thanks to Lowangle Al’s thread here…I have started my build for a Wanigan as I progress in my restoration of my WC canoe… first sanding of outside completed… for the bottom and short sides I used reclaimed yellow pine from my boyhood farm house the rest is 1/4 pine plywood … please excuse my lack of woodworking skills,,, but I believe it will be functional
Very cool that you were able to use wood that has meaning to you and is part of your history

I used a wanigan for the first time on a recent trip and really liked it. I have had this wanigan since 1999 when I acquired it from a dear friend. He was moving out of state and left me with everything he didn't know what to do with. It marked the end of an era when my garage had a place for everything and everything was in it's place. I never really evaluated the box, mostly because I didn't want to have to find a place to put everything that was in it and also because I was happy with my current packing system.

On this trip I had to make some changes, as I was down one Duluth pack that I took back East to do trips there, so I took a closer look at this box. It was the right size, but the wood wasn't treated or waterproofed. It was very simply made with rope handles and cotton webbing for hinges that were screwed on. I did notice that it had runners on the bottom to keep it out of the bilge and off of the ground so I thought maybe Helmuth did use this on trips. He was a veteran of many season long trips that he did by raft. Looking closer at the box I could see some faded writing on it that said "fragile glass." It was then that I guessed that Helmuth did take this on trips and probably had his booze in it.

I found the wanigan to be a very practical addition to my kit. It fits nicely in the boat, it protects fragile items from being crushed, and best of all it doubles as a chair or table. It can also be used for items that you may need access to while underway because it is so easy to get into. This was a no portage trip, but I don't think I would have a problem carrying it when needed. I would probably throw it on top of another pack for a carry.

I found it to be a very useful piece of gear and like the pack basket I added last year it makes things easier and more comfortable on a trip. I have found that using this old traditional gear, including my canvas tent, does make a trip more comfortable and it goes a long way in increasing our enjoyment in general. I think I need to make another one for my East coast kit where I can combine it with using the pack baskets.
How do you use your packbasket? I use mine to carry water bottles, fuel bottles, stove, kitchen gear, lantern if I take it etc. I always get compliments and questions about it. One ranger in Algonquin who came into camp to check permits, was very intrigued by it. Incidentally I made the packbasket, since I couldn’t afford to buy one. It’s of the potbelly style. I now know why they charge so much for them

I know wannigans are honored traditional gear. Please don’t jump all over me for asking, but what makes a wannigan different from the Rubbermaid Action Packer box I’ve been using? Functionally, both seem to be boxes. What am I missing?
I have never used a wannigan but I imagine that it just has a traditional, almost romance feel to it. Some of the new gear is better than the old, some is not, some is just different, and some is virtually the same. The difference being that the traditional gear has a better aesthetic that can remind you of simpler times

How do you use your packbasket? I use mine to carry water bottles, fuel bottles, stove, kitchen gear, lantern if I take it etc. I always get compliments and questions about it. One ranger in Algonquin who came into camp to check permits, was very intrigued by it. Incidentally I made the packbasket, since I couldn’t afford to buy one. It’s of the potbelly style. I now know why they charge so much for them
I don't use the pack baskets and the wannigan on the same trip because the wannigan is in Ak. and the baskets are part of my East coast kit, but they basically carry the same stuff. The wannigan holds my axe, saw, cook kit, repair kit, fishing gear and any fragile items, like eggs or anything in a glass container. I take two baskets when tripping tandem and they hold about the same stuff with the addition of food (in a roll top dry bag) canteen, bug spray, and my wife and I each have a dry bag with our personal stuff that goes on top for easy access.

Good for you for making your own baskets. They're not only practical but must give you a lot of satisfaction. Post some photos if you can.

Yes I too would love to see pics of your pack basket. I’ve thought of making one but so far haven’t gotten around to it.. I like the pot belly style better than the straight sides.
Jim

I have never used a wannigan but I imagine that it just has a traditional, almost romance feel to it. Some of the new gear is better than the old, some is not, some is just different, and some is virtually the same. The difference being that the traditional gear has a better aesthetic that can remind you of simpler times
I think the important thing is that your gear matches your tripping style and packing strategy. Using modern gear like roll top dry bags combined with traditional gear works best for me. The traditional gear, Duluth packs, wannigans, and baskets make life much easier on a trip but may have a weight penalty. I like easy, I don't like having to stuff my gear when packing so I like roomy packs, and I like using a tump and hate a hip belt. I also find that by using traditional gear I have easy access to anything I might need and never have to dig far to get to something.

On my most recent trips this spring I did 22 portages with the wannigan. It carried just as well as double stacking canvas bags, maybe even better. It protects fragile items like my cold handle fry pan for one, and it can be used as a table or a seat. I love it as much for portage heavy trip as I do for a non portage trip.

Here are some photos of the wannigan in action from this spring.

IMG_7517.jpegIMG_8386.jpegIMG_7505.jpegIMG_8454.jpeg
In this last pic you can see that I made the rope carry handles extra long so I don’t have to bend over to load or unload from the boat. This also allows me to comfortably hold the handles when carrying while holding my tump at the same time.

Since pack baskets have been mentioned; I've made a few under the guidance of a friend who used to make them for a living. Bill said you'd load the basket and then place a piece of wool or leather over the contents, pushing the excess material into the framework of the basket. The theory was if the basket fell over, the material would stop the contents from falling out as they would get lodged in the narrow opening of the basket; keeping everything inside. I've never had to put the idea to the test but it made sense to me.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I've got three wannigans...

When I lived in LA, mostly I did out and back bayou or lake trips, no portaging, and one of them was made of 3x pieces of 1"x 12" pine with plywood sides. A bungi cord run handle-to-handle kept the lid on, and a piece of weatherstripping around the top edge made it water-resistant. It weighed a ton, but was a great box for food, kitchenware, dutch oven, pie irons, and use as a table or seat. Even has a traditional checker board inside the lid.

I also spent some time in NY, and kept a whole second set of gear at my dad's house. He built me a second wannigan in his shop, and it served the same purpose, just built a little differently, slightly lighter, different handles, slightly different lid. I still like it for lake trips.

And for solo trips, I built a smaller, very light box out of 1/4" plywood and glued the edges together, then reinforced each corner with some 3/8" strips of wood, also glued in. There might be a few nails, but it's very light, and the lid just sets on it, again held in place with a bungi from one handle to the other. I made a checkerboard on its lid via the painstaking method of using a soldering iron to burn it in; I do not recommend that, even though it looks nice.

Murat, I think it was, did some beautiful pyrography on one of his... not sure where the pics are anymore.

Back