• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

My First Canoe Build

Very nice! I also like the satin varnish. Congratulations on a very nice first build! Have a great trip!

Beautiful boat!! You'll enjoy it I'm sure...

BUT, get ready for "The Questions" (generally in this order)

What kind of boat is that?
Did you build that?
Was that a kit?
What kind of wood is that?

You may need to bring a stool with you, to prop up a leg and tell all the stories from your build!
Once again, congrats on a beautiful boat, and enjoy your solo trip.

Wow! Nice job! If you cant source seat hangar bolts, in a pinch, threaded rod with a finish washer and cap nut would get you through your first trip and you could order longer machine screws.

I am eagerly awaiting your trip photos!

Jason

Thanks Jason. Today, I just picked up some 1/4-20 x 6 galvanized carriage bolts that I used to attach my stern seat. I will post a picture in the thread. Appreciate that info!

Nice job ... you are going to love your boat. It looks nice and beamy, so I suspect it will be an awesome tripper under load.

If you decide to change the varnish, that is a simple operation at the end of the year, just do a cleanup and swap, for now, use the boat and appreciate what you have accomplished. I typically will use a high gloss inside and out for max protection, then use a flat final coat on the interior to kill any reflection. So your thinking is on point IMO.

Again, congrats both on finishing and getting out, you are going to have a grin from ear to ear, once loaded and underway.

Brian

Appreciate it Brian! The beam of the canoe is 34” so this is easily the least beamy boat that I have paddled in comparison to Old Town Trippers and my Mad River Tahoe. Those beams are 38” I believe. I hope to notice a difference with this canoe while solo paddling! My next boat though will have a much narrower beam. Believe it or not I will start researching that soon enough for a beam in the 30” region. Thanks again Brian and all the best with your amazing canoe that is crazy brilliant!

Beautiful boat!! You'll enjoy it I'm sure...

BUT, get ready for "The Questions" (generally in this order)

What kind of boat is that?
Did you build that?
Was that a kit?
What kind of wood is that?

You may need to bring a stool with you, to prop up a leg and tell all the stories from your build!
Once again, congrats on a beautiful boat, and enjoy your solo trip.

Thanks so much! The stool will have to pass but I would be more than happy to discuss with friendly people the boat building journey. I find those questions hilarious since I was that guy once asking those very same questions....

You Know Dave, a lot of people start a canoe, and then give up on it.

Building a canoe is not an easy task.

You have learned a great deal ! Not just about building a canoe ! But about your Self, and what you Can do !

Enjoy it !

Jim

You Know Dave, a lot of people start a canoe, and then give up on it.

Building a canoe is not an easy task.

You have learned a great deal ! Not just about building a canoe ! But about your Self, and what you Can do !

Enjoy it !

Jim

Jim, thank you! The building process was a ton of fun and some frustration. The big take away is that I have learned plenty from the mistakes made along the way and know that I will produce even better product down the road. I had to start somewhere and I am glad that I did. This forum was amazing and willing to share knowledge and for that I am grateful. All the best Jim!

Back