• Happy National American Red Cross Founder's Day (1881)! 🇨🇭🚑🏥

Most recent tripping kit subtraction?

G

What is the most recent thing you have eliminated from your usual tripping gear?

Not a recent subtraction, just the last thing that never comes along anymore, I no longer carry cookware beyond a JetBoil, mug, cup and spoon. On solo trips I am not doing any real cooking, it is all boiling water, or occasionally something on the Trench grill, which does not come on every trip.

On companion trips I travel with some skilled backcountry chefs who enjoy creating and sharing wilderness fare, and who bring the cook kit to do so.

And the flip side of that question, what is the most recent addition that comes on every trip?

Again, not exactly recent, but I have come to love Goretex lined trail running shoes as camp footwear. I am not doing any running, but they are lightweight, comfortable and waterproof from dewy brush or water dripping off rain pant legs.

Whats out, whats in?

Just had a new arrival today.. I bought for flying to Iceland in a few weeks and light hiking there. They might be handy for camping on rough areas in my old age Remains to be seen

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Distance-Trekking-Poles/dp/B017P3MKFC

I can't say that there is something that comes along on EVERY trip as I don't use bug nets on every trip and I don't use a beach umbrella on every trip and I don't use a sand tarp on every trip nor a water filter on every trip.

I'm thinking of outing the dishpan.. I collect lots of water with my gravity filter and I don't need it to collect 10 liters of lake water. In FL we already had 6 gal jugs of water. But there are only two. I'd pay better attention to sanitation if there was a group.

Maybe the little inflatable pillows too. I like a stinky soft fleece pillow.

Additions? Little bottles of hand sanitizer everywhere. I used to bring one. And could never find it at the appropriate time.

What is the most recent thing you have eliminated from your usual tripping gear?

I reduced the number of hats from 5 to 3 and the number of gloves from 6 to 4 pairs................

I also reduced some food items slightly, instead of one chocolate bar/day I now take 2 for every 3 days!

From last year's trips my biggest plan was to be far more aware of how much food I take, but beyond that I know I need to reduce weight and will weigh the need for each piece I take this year. I spent too many years just paddling the Allagash River and "I might need this" was a good enough reason to throw it into the bag.

No subtractions yet...I've only just started, But I've been really pleased with this 35l waterproof day pack I added. I keep all my essentials plus the day's food along with anything I might want while afloat in this pack and I keep the pack right in front of me. I don't need to twist around backwards to get anything from the main pack when paddling and I just leave the main pack in the canoe when I pull up on shore for lunch or to make some coffee. It also balances out the load on a double portage since the main pack weight is reduced by the stuff in the little pack.

For me and the Mrs. we have ditched the hatchet. In spite of the highly coveted '70's era BSA Knife and Axe card I still have somewhere I was always worried about lopping off a digit. I do bring a Wyoming Knife Company take down saw, however Chick has a penchant for gathering firewood. She loves exploring and gathering firewood so even the saw rarely sees sunlight now.

Things to bring? Over the winter we purchased an RTIC cooler and a Eureka No Bug Zone. I am sure they will rocket to the top of the list but until then, I really enjoyed my Thermarest pillow. Makeshift pillows never quite worked for me but this thing has been a very welcome addition.

From last year's trips my biggest plan was to be far more aware of how much food I take, but beyond that I know I need to reduce weight and will weigh the need for each piece I take this year. I spent too many years just paddling the Allagash River and "I might need this" was a good enough reason to throw it into the bag.

Nice problem to have had.

I always take too many clothes-many which I never put on. I weighed my bags after a trip last year and was amazed how much my clothes bag weighed. Ultralight canoe and gear and heavy unused clothes doesn't make sense. I've also started bringing "Naked Turtle" brand vodka for this reason.

I always take too many clothes-many which I never put on. I weighed my bags after a trip last year and was amazed how much my clothes bag weighed. Ultralight canoe and gear and heavy unused clothes doesn't make sense. I've also started bringing "Naked Turtle" brand vodka for this reason.

Very true...about the clothes.. In 1967 I would bring a whole garbage bag full of clothes. You know 30 gallons. Now I am down to 20 liters max for two weeks.
Oh the booze.. The last few canoe trips we have jettisoned all booze.. I like wine. He likes beer. But never brought beer. He is meh on wine. Why bring wine for just me..Were not fans of hard liquor. Now we bring various types of tea. ( we have a tea house nearby)

This will be the last season with the Globalster satellite phone. When my contract is up I will then carry the Garmin Inreach for two way texting. I liked having the phone but $1100 US per year after taxes and fees for their new minimum package is forcing the change. They did offer to knock off $300 but still not worth it for me.

We always carried more cook kit than we needed, and are now down to one pot and one pan. We also ditched our white gas stove and fuel containers and now only bring a stick stove. So far it has worked well, although we haven't had to us it in a "many consecutive days of hard rain" scenario.

Quinn

On solos I no longer take a tent and tarp. Last year I found a used CCS Lean Plus 1, and it rocks! I also no longer bring an axe as it was just something I really never used.

Last trip I eliminated a spare pair of pants. Just used the pair I wore on day 1. They dry quick and if still wet when I want to go in the tent I just slip on my long underwear and hang the pants. There were a few days where it would have been nice to have an spare pair but overall it was fine.

I try to take enough clothes to keep me warm but no extra. It's all about layers. An extra t-shirt, one real light weight long sleeve, a little heavier weight long sleeve, and if, like my last trip, I expect some real cold weather (days in the 30's/40's) one heavy fleece. If needed I have my rain jacket to go over it all. Each successive layer is sized to fit what's underneath. A lightweight down sweater or jacket would be much lighter and compact than the heavy fleece but I already have the fleece. Other than the rain jacket and heavy fleece (if needed) my clothes bag is about the size of a softball.

Also quit taking the GPS. It's just a tiny one with no real maps but I figured it might come in handy if I ever got completely lost and didn't know where I was. But I got more confident in my map and compass skills so decided to leave it behind.

Fishing tackle has been left behind too though I might take a small rod and reel next time. I wonder about an ice fishing rod? Should be fine for jigging under the boat and short casting.

Alan

I'm with you, Peter, on the percolator and white gas stoves. Propane stove and a coffee press. Not real happy with the size of the propane stove but it works slick so I put up with it. The old tried and tested over years of use percolator stays home these days. I like my coffee press fine and it's easier to clean and store and ya know I gotta have my coffee!

I am actually pretty happy with the coffee presses made for the Jetboil stoves. They fit inside the stove and take up no additional space. Not the greatest coffee press in the world but works to prepare coffee very quickly.

Fishing tackle has been left behind too though I might take a small rod and reel next time. I wonder about an ice fishing rod? Should be fine for jigging under the boat and short casting.

Alan

Interesting idea. I always bring fishing gear, but there are plenty of times I do not use much of it, and on some trips, I do not use it at all. Maybe I will give the ice fishing rod a whirl on my early June trip this year. Thanks for the thought!

No gas camp stove in the kit! No cast iron dutch oven, we really liked it but one day cooking lasagna on the fire and a loud sound, a gun shot like sound... Every body looked around and found out that the cast iron lid cracked... So we never bought a new one and never got back on the kit.

Back