• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Moose in The Morning

Looks pretty healthy, that’s good. We had one wander through our back yard last fall. We didn’t see it but our back neighbor told us about it.
Jim

The major problem moose have around here is infestations of “moose tick” or “winter tick.” It’s quite heartbreaking to see a moose with much of its hair gone because of trying to rub the ticks off. I understand that this problem is quite severe in Maine and Ontario. Probably throughout the region.

When I first saw the title of the thread my first thought was, "Mem finally got one!"
Then I saw it wasn't his post.

Gotta be pretty neat to look out the back door and see an animal like that. Tell Kathleen thanks for taking the pics for sharing.

Alan

Biologists tell me that we have winter ticks here but I haven't seen any moose that appeared to have any tick issues.

Googling the average moos has 47,000 ticks -and some have more than 100,000. Makes me squirm a little.

The major problem moose have around here is infestations of “moose tick” or “winter tick.” It’s quite heartbreaking to see a moose with much of its hair gone because of trying to rub the ticks off. I understand that this problem is quite severe in Maine and Ontario. Probably throughout the region.

I took this snap of a Maine moose last April, and although it's a bit grainy you can see some lighter patches around the shoulder, perhaps where the fur has been rubbed off. This was just north of Old Town.

47,000 ticks could ruin your whole day.

DSCF0048_crop.JPG

Back