• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Marrettes (twist-on wire connectors)

Reaction score
I have managed to lose several of the plastic wire shelf ends that covered the ends of some exposed bolts in my canoes. I don't currently have any of the plastic shelf ends around but, as I was searching for those and considering what else might work, I noticed that I have a selection of twist on wire connectors (aka marrettes, in Canada).
220px-Array_of_twist-on_wire_connectors_aka_wire_nuts_in_different_sizes.jpg

Has anyone tried using those to cover the ends of exposed bolts in a canoe? If so, how did they work?

I have managed to lose several of the plastic wire shelf ends that covered the ends of some exposed bolts in my canoes. I don't currently have any of the plastic shelf ends around but, as I was searching for those and considering what else might work, I noticed that I have a selection of twist on wire connectors (aka marrettes, in Canada).
220px-Array_of_twist-on_wire_connectors_aka_wire_nuts_in_different_sizes.jpg

Has anyone tried using those to cover the ends of exposed bolts in a canoe? If so, how did they work?

I've never tried them but if you have the right size AND they are the good ones with the metal coil they should work well. The cheap ones without the inner coil are probably not a good choice as they barely work for the intended purpose.

Maybe even better than the coil are the marrettes what have a brass insert with a screw that you can tighten.

1688508261978.png

Thanks for the responses. I didn't know that there were things like the rubber caps for vacuum tubes on cars or that there were thread protectors - I've heard of them but never seen them until I looked them up just now. Thanks for two other possible solutions.
I think I'm going to give my marrettes a go and see how they function. I'm a little concerned about trying the insert type because I wonder if I might damage the threads of the bolt by tightening the screw on the insert? I'll try to remember to report back after the twist on wire connectors have had time to prove themselves or not.
Thanks again.

Marrettes (new word to me) are a great idea. I'd be concerned about the metal rusting after a while. I wonder how much of a mess it would make if you greased the inside of the marrette (auto correct does not like this word!) prior to install. But it's just an inexpensive marrette. You could just replace them every year or two.

Back