• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Mad River Courier Restoration Question

Reaction score
My husband and I are in the midst of restoring a Mad River Courier that I recently purchased. We replaced the gunwales, which were made from ripped down pressure treated deck boards, with ash gunwales. We will be putting in new thwarts, carry handles, and a contoured seat. Since the previous owner had turned the canoe into a tandem, we don't know where the original placing of the above pieces are to be placed. So, we are looking for the measurements from a Courier with the original placement.

Question two is what product can be used to bring back the shine to a dull, lack luster hull? We tried 303 Protectant and Armorall, with unimpressive results.
Question three is where to find the replacement decals i.e. Mad River Canoe and the smoking rabbit?
Thanks in advance!

I have used Watco oil which did restore the canoe somewhat but only temporarily, it probably washes off after a few uses. I have heard it has Linseed Oil in it that creates the shine, not sure if that's the case though.

I bought some Poly Glow (expensive) but I never used it after a test, just didn't like the too shiny look.

You can get the old Mad River Canoe decal on Amazon @ about $20 a piece, and the smokin rabbit on eBay for $5.70 each. https://www.ebay.com/p/7003050585

If you can't get thwart and seat placement dimensions from a current Courier owner, you can measure this pic and extrapolate the actual size numbers and come pretty close. I can usually get the luster of gel-coat back with automotive rubbing compound and a buffer if the fade is not too bad.

Attachments

• photo14993.jpg
    photo14993.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 3
I’ve buffed with these products with some success. Not sure if it is a good idea, but really light sanding (starting with 220, finishing with 400, 1000 wet sanding) will take off the faded gelcoat but you definitely don’t want to take off too much and compromise the hull.

Attachments

• photo14994.jpg
    photo14994.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 0
Thanks Matt, saved me getting out an old MRC catalog. I thought I remembered the Courier being made in composite as well as RX, as with the MRC Guide, but wasn’t sure.

If Carowby’s dull faded Courier is composite (which would be an awesome find) buffing and a good marine paste wax is the best bet to restore some luster. If it is UV faded Royalex I dunno, I’ve not yet found anything that will do much long term for old UV exposed RX.

My apology for not being specific about the hull, which is made of Royalex.. Thank you all for the info.... I can use the info regarding composite material for my Prism.

I checked my Royalex Courier. Specs are as follows: bow and stern handles are 19" from ends. Front thwart is 58 1/4" from bow, width is 26 3/4". Rear of seat is 73" from stern. Width at front of seat is 32". There is only one thwart in the boat, forward of the seat. I didn't see any holes for an aft thwart. I bought it used, but the gunnels appear original. Let me know if you need anything else.

Back