• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Little Pic River

I'm repeating myself like that boring uncle who repeats the same story every time he sees you, that I appreciate this guys humour, honesty and humility. Character traits not often found in the hero worshipping world of Youtube. He mentions some interesting things, such as the amount of film time per trip that actually makes it into the final edited film, about 15 mins/day, and goes on to say how many other things happen throughout the day, every day but don't make it into the final film cut...port clearing, wood gathering, hammock hanging, loading up, unloading, scouting, map pondering etc. Mundane tasks that can and do add vital parts to a story told. It's not all pretty scenes and dreamy music. I like seeing some of the ordinary amongst the extraordinary. This guy sure does bring it. Another funny thing he mentions is how he's now questioning his soloing vs tripping tandem with his partner. The grueling work sure is divided having a partner and so is the emotional toll. Lastly he ends the trip saying how he always feels glad when it's over, but carries the best memories from it.

Thank you all for bringing these films to my attention. I enjoyed them last night from the comfort of my couch! :rolleyes:

Rob, if we do a trip I'll bring Doritos and deodorant for all. And some improperly mixed fuel for the chainsaw.

Goonstroke, you captured the rationale for the fishing (which was a lot more limited than the videos might've suggested) perfectly. After spending hours cutting a trail solo with saws, you bet your arse I'm taking 5 minutes to test the pool at the bottom. Also, most of my fishing was in days 1 and 2 when I still maintained hope that I'd make up ground/time. After day 3 there was very little fishing. Not that I take any offense to the question, it's fair.

And yeah once the ports get better established, it won't be a bad route. And FYI, if you want to avoid the messy part, I'm told you could also bushwhack in from this cut:
https://goo.gl/maps/mES7Mb8hgRxjBjk9A
However that adds unknowns, and the shuttle drop off would take much longer.

Thanks for the kind comments and feedback folks :)

that was a great video, and arduous trip for sure. Jonathan you need to get a garmin inreach, ezpz to text the missus to have a chain saw air dropped in and let her know you're runnin' behind schedule. You have good manners too, After a few of those clearing sessions I would have released a brookie or two back into the net for dinner and smashed up some of those dorito's as corn meal to fry some trout.

Hahah thanks deerfly. Trouble is those specks were OOS. Was really hoping to get into spawning salmon south of the last waterfall, but the schedule didn't allow for that.

As for the inReach, I'm pretty adamant about disconnecting on trips unless it's a life-saving event, so we just have a PLB. Certainly would've liked the inReach on this trip but it was the exception.

This was one of our traditional Outers routes, last done by the club in 1994. Got a young guy up here doing a pretty good job making videos of many routes in our area. The Little Pic was always said to be very beautiful. Jonathon has made an excellent video of a fall trip. The Chief of Biigtigong First Nation says they are going to open it up next summer. Think I'll be doing it one way or the other. Here's the link to the first part. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ9...prRYu_xrmL1DaP3BlsMlKcxeDuf2IZ3lckMs_bxtAwk1U

Jonathan Ontario’s videos have been quite entertaining and enjoyable!

Great video I have to take away point for the use of deodorant on a SOLO trip. I can live with the Doritos.

I glad it was you on that trip and not me. That's a bit over my comfort level.

Throughout the 2 videos, you did a lot of vocalizing about Erin not knowing where you were, being late, her calling the Federalies. Why not carry a SPOT or the like? It would cut out a lot of videoing also. It's a huge relief to my wife and entertainment for my support team on social media.

Oh ya, thanks now I need to buy yet another new saw that Borel 21 looks sweet.

The only saw that will cut the mustard on a trip like that will have " STIHL " written on the side of it. Then cutting ports is no great worry, even for me.

I have 2 indescribably good temptations (not of the human form), those being Jujubes and Doritos. So far (with the "help" of my interfering wife) I've been able for some time to avoid these 2 "sins". Thank you Jon for undermining her attempts to "protect" me from their destructive calorific assaults. A bag of Sweet Chili Heat should fit just fine amongst the food fare. Jujubes too.
As per the Boreal saw, I love that colourful design. But I've lost the vim and vigour to work so much.
As per the deodorant thing, well, that's what the great outdoors thing is all about. Love me, love the smell of my dog -
even if I don't own one.

Last edited:
I watched all the Jonathan's films that I could find, a fair number of beautiful outdoorsy women grace some of them. So, I not only want to know the brand of deodorant he uses, I also want to know what kind his aftershave is. Of course the young ladies are out of mine and Memequay's brackets.

Thanks y'all....but get some GD deodorant you monsters lol. The deodorant is unscented so it shouldn't be a bear issue, and it might help with the fairer sex if you don't smell like a viking.

Sweeper, I have a ResQLink PLB for the SOS button, but otherwise resent the idea of being connected or being expected to check in. Obviously would've helped in this case but normally the route isn't such a crapshow and I can estimate the duration better.

Keep fighting for your sweet chili heat brother.

Last edited:
Ha ha, Jontario, you are an anomaly on this site, as you are under the age of 55, and still care about impressing the chicks. Us old guys are only interested in "Hot Grannies", and they are more interested in the size of our.......bank accounts, not so much what our arm pits smell like. Plus, wearing au natural pit sauce puts you squarely in the hippy category, and everyone knows hippy chicks don't even take baths, so who you try'n to impress anyway?

Ever watch that movie "Without a Paddle" when they find those hairy gals in the middle of nowhere? That's what I'm talk'n about!

Thanks y'all....but get some GD deodorant you monsters lol. The deodorant is unscented so it shouldn't be a bear issue, and it might help with the fairer sex if you don't smell like a viking.

I just place one of these under each armpit and I am good to go.

pine scent.jpeg

I'm with Jonathan on this one. Deodorant doesn't weigh enough to warrant leaving it in the truck and while I wish to leave civilization behind, I still prefer to maintain a certain level of civilization in regards to personal hygiene.

But who are you using it for on a SOLO????:cool:
For my part, I'm wearing it for me. (PS: I also carry a razor anytime I'm out for more than 3 days... I know... the horror, right?)

Back