• Happy National American Red Cross Founder's Day (1881)! 🇨🇭🚑🏥

Leaving tonight - SPOT tracking page

Jim, he is going upstream so he has to walk it. Looks like about a km long being a pair of rapids with a small pool in the middle. Hopefully the winds favour him once he is past that today and he could be back at his car on the weekend.

Hopefully the winds favour him once he is past that today and he could be back at his car on the weekend.

I'm hoping the same. The wind needs to turn 180 degrees in the next couple of days.

He did about 26km today and is a day away from the Lake, but, once on the lake proper it is like 50km to get across to the South side where his car is.

I find this all really interesting. I can't wait to see what he has to say about it.

Collins Bay (Wollaston Lake), Saskatchewan

Tonight
Cloudy. 60 percent chance of showers early this evening. A few showers beginning this evening. Risk of a thunderstorm late this evening and overnight. Low 7 (44F).
Fri, 9 Sep Showers with risk of a thunderstorm. Amount 5 mm. Wind northwest 20 km/h (12mph) gusting to 40 (25 mph) becoming light in the afternoon. High 10 (50F).
NightPartly cloudy. Low plus 1 (34F).
Sat, 10 Sep Periods of rain. High 9 (48F).
NightRain. Low plus 5 (41).
Sun, 11 Sep Rain. High plus 5 (41).
NightCloudy with 30 percent chance of showers. Low plus 1 (34)
Mon, 12 Sep Cloudy. High 9 (48).
NightCloudy periods. Low plus 2 (35).
Tue, 13 Sep Cloudy. High 14 (57).
NightCloudy. Low 7 (44).
Wed, 14 Sep Cloudy. High 16 (61).

I find this all really interesting. I can't wait to see what he has to say about it.

You and me both !
I'd love to be at his car when he arrives, and hand him an Ice Cream Cone ! Ha !

Last edited:
He's closing in on the end now! Hoping the winds are kind to him. I'll bet he's looking forward to seeing the car again, Sadie as well! A couple more day??

In following along with Alan's Excellent Adventures I have noticed a need for more information. When plotting his course on the Topo maps I have, in comparison to the Google Earth images, there is a lot of change that has happened to the rivers since the maps were created, what, 100 years ago. Certainly this can be expected from moving water. The other issue is not knowing how old the Google images are and the fact the area in question is mostly desolate so the quality is poor at best and you can move from one segment of Summer photo, to Spring ice to Winter, depending on when that image was shot.

I think it would be nice and I'm sure Google has the satellites and technology to give us streaming video of the entire planets surface, so we could see if Alan has high or low water, how the route has changed from the photo's and maps. Wouldn't that just offer up a more immersive experience for those of us who will never paddle there and can only follow along?

Refreshing the Wollaston Lake wind map

https://www.windyty.com/58.108/-103.170?58.109,-103.747,9

Well, it’s not a headwind. . . . .

If I knew that wind forecast in advance I’d be tempted to do some mid-night paddling.

Wild, wet and windy. I hoping the trip report includes a review of raingear, partial spray cover drainage and maybe some Windpaddle sail use.

That nice beach Alan camped on last night is on a topographic map derived from 1955 aerial photography, "updated" by 1986 satellite imagery. A good source to access and view Canadian topo maps (and buy, if you like) is here:

http://www.jeffstopos.com/

A higher resolution view of that beach is available in "Bing" maps - individual trees can be distinguished. Bing imagery is sometimes better, sometimes worse, and often the same as Google Earth.

https://www.bing.com/mapspreview

Select "aerial"

-wjmc

Looks like he's on the upper (or is that lower?) part of Wallaston. I suppose it won't be much longer before he's back.
My imagination tells me that a trip of this magnitude will leave Alan forever changed...
Can't wait to hear the tales!

Windy predicts NE winds tomorrow. If Alan brought his little sail he should be able to fly down lake.

Maybe he has visions of Dick Prenneke and will just build a cabin and stay there.

Two days and out, he is nearly there. What a trip man. Epic.

Rain and snow in the forecast as well. Problem with being that far north at this time of year, always a chance of snow.

What is the distance from the top of the lake where Alan was last night to his put in at the bottom?

He is roughly 50 km from his put in in Hidden Bay, if he started at the provincial recreation site or the fishing camp nearby. Environment Canada is forecasting a high of 5C (41F) today with periods of rain mixed with snow, winds NE 20 km/h gusting to 40. Weather is forecast to improve starting tomorrow.

Back