• Happy National American Red Cross Founder's Day (1881)! 🇨🇭🚑🏥

Leaving tonight - SPOT tracking page

I have no doubt that Alan can handle the situation, with a smile !

​ I'd like to see one more Spot location, back here in Estherville Iowa !

We've been having a lot of rain here lately. Looking forward to a paddle with him !

Jim

Back home again! Was really fun to read through this thread as everyone was following along. Can't express how much I appreciate everyone's offers of assistance on giving me places to stay should I be trapped in Canada. The border crossing sounded like it was going to be a real mess and that I'd need to go to a US consulate to get it straightened out. There's one in Winnipeg but apparently they don't deal with issues like that so Calgary would be the closest. Some people claimed a driver's license was good enough but all the official verbiage seemed to indicate it wasn't. I was nearing Winnipeg around 8:30 in the evening when I called from a payphone to find all this out. I still didn't have cell reception and decided to drive to the border that night hoping to pick up reception over the border so I could try and contact someone in the actual station to find out if it was even worth me trying to get through with only a drivers license. My fear was attempting to enter the US and being turned back and then being denied reentry into Canada and being stuck there.

Was anxious to get home and had already decided there was no way I was going to spend a week or more in Canada trying to get the passport deal straightened out. While driving I formulated my backup plan which involved leaving my vehicle at either Bothwell or Mihun's house and then getting a ride to the Rainy River a little east of Lake of the Woods where I'd load everything in the canoe, paddle a little ways upstream, cross over to the US side, and paddle a little ways up the Big Fork River to a boat access where someone from home would pick me up. Once I had my new passport I'd buy one of our loaner vehicles from the shop, drive it back into Canada, sign the title over to whoever had been taking care of my vehicle, and then drive back to the US. I really liked this plan and in a perverse way almost wanted to be turned away at the border so I could put it into action.

When I got to the border around 9:30pm there was a Canadian police station so I stopped to ask if they could answer any of my questions thinking this was something they've probably run across. They said they didn't know for sure how it worked but they made me feel much better. They said as far as they knew that if I was a US citizen I could not be denied access into my own country. They might be able to detain me for a while as they checked me out but they thought with a driver's license I'd probably get through just fine. So I decided to try running the border that night. Only one lane was open and there were no other vehicles passing through. It turned out to be one of the smoothest border crossings I've ever had. I handed him my license as well as the business card from the RCMP with case# from when I'd reported my passport stolen and explained what happened. I got the normal questions everyone gets when crossing the border and a couple about the stolen passport. He asked me to a roll down a rear window so he could see into the back of my car and then told me, "welcome back." What I relief! As soon as I'd pulled away and my window was up I gave a big whoop for joy.

I would have liked to stop and visit our members in Winnipeg but the timing just didn't work out. On the way up I was a man on a mission and on the way back it was getting to be late evening as I neared Winnipeg and I wanted to get to the border and see how big of a mess I had. I didn't expect to get across that night and figured in the morning I'd be driving back to Winnipeg. Very kind and generous offers though of which I'm greatly appreciative.

As for the trip: It was quite an adventure. I had a stretch of the best weather I've ever canoed in and an equally long stretch of the worst weather I've ever canoed in with a little bit of everything else mixed in. Going in I didn't quite know what to expect it to be like that far north. It's a completely different world than the sourthern Boreal forest I experienced last year along the Bloodvein and not a place to be trifled with. I'm thankful that in the first week it gave me a little taste of what it's capable of. It set me back on my heels and made me quite cautious the rest of the trip. Within the first week I had pretty much given up on reaching Nueltin Lake but kept pushing hard. After a stretch of good weather reaching Nueltin came back into play but I then had to abandon it again and changed my course. I'll get more into that later. The decision was a hard one to make and it really bothered me as the trip continued. Was it a wise choice or did I chicken out? Hindsight proved to be on my side as the last 2 weeks of the trip had horrendous weather with me either unable to travel or only traveling partial days. As the days kept counting and the weather kept getting worse I was thinking how glad I was I didn't push on to Nueltin as the best case scenario would have put me 5 days behind my current schedule and I would have been even farther north where the weather might have been even worse. I'll try and get something written up soon and post some pictures. Didn't really take any video this year so don't expect much but I did take more pictures and hope to have some decent ones that give a taste of the trip as well as the landscape.

Alan

Welcome Home Alan !
​ Get some rest, visit with family, settle back in, then let me know when you'd like to paddle with some one. I'll be up !

Jim

Alan, quite pleased to see you home today, I was hoping you would be. We head out tomorrow and will be out of communication awhile, no laptop, no smartphones, etc.

Although Nueltin was your initial goal you did get to spend one night in Nunavut at least and it gives you something to plan for in the future.

Karin

Although Nueltin was your initial goal you did get to spend one night in Nunavut at least and it gives you something to plan for in the future.

Karin

Yes. After ruling out Nueltin I felt like I needed a goal of some sort and the Nunavut border seemed like a good one.

Alan

Welcome back Alan! I was glad to see the SPOT over the border and figured everything went well. Glad you weren't hassled. It's sounds like you made a good call on the trip and will be looking forward to reading the TR after you finally settle back in. Am betting Sadie was happy to get home as well!

dougd

"...trapped in Canada..."
"...So I decided to try running the border that night."

Alan, you made it out just in time. We nearly had you duped and doped with our mind control, fitted out in tuque and mittens, Tim Hortons coffee in one hand, curling broom in the other, yer old hockey stick in the trunk just in case ya get a call from the rink for an after hours pick up game...eh?".
Glad you made it out safe and sound. The Quetico/BWCA paddle would've been an epic way to sneak back home.

Great story, Great thread, Thanks to all those who participated and those who clicked on for updates.

Welcome Home Allan and Sadie, we may be a small site but this was so much fun and interesting, really makes the website something special.

Thanks Allan, Thanks Sadie, Thanks to the Folks.

They said as far as they knew that if I was a US citizen I could not be denied access into my own country. They might be able to detain me for a while as they checked me out but they thought with a driver's license I'd probably get through just fine. So I decided to try running the border that night. Only one lane was open and there were no other vehicles passing through. It turned out to be one of the smoothest border crossings I've ever had. I handed him my license as well as the business card from the RCMP with case# from when I'd reported my passport stolen and explained what happened. I got the normal questions everyone gets when crossing the border and a couple about the stolen passport. He asked me to a roll down a rear window so he could see into the back of my car and then told me, "welcome back." What I relief! As soon as I'd pulled away and my window was up I gave a big whoop for joy.

I figured you for a smooth operator who could pass through customs with just a driver’s license, and innocent smile and an offer to share a sip of your tepid water.

I’d still be there, with my truck reduced to individual component pieces.

Alan Gage;n51292 I'll try and get something written up soon and post some pictures. [/QUOTE said:
Yeah,yeah. I wanna hear a wag of Sadie’s tale.

I think you may have gone a little bush crazy with that commando scheme of yours to sneak back into the States. That would have been classic...a canoe race between you and the Border Patrol. I actually blew the border in Minot ND once years ago. I drove past Canada Customs and was looking for the US one but all I saw was a garden shed so I kept going. After 5 nimutes with nothing but prairie in sight I turned around and went back. Turns out this happens all the time. Probably not now though.
We were kind of worried about you this trip. As you said, that part of the country is not to be trifled with. I am glad you were able to adapt and persevere to have an amazing time. Definitely no place for old ladies with weak hearts though. I am totally jealous.

Gladto see you back and cant wait for more stories.

Christine

I have been wondering what kind of fish live under his canoe? Did he ever mention to anyone on this forum, if he fishes to supplement his diet?

He is generally not an angler, it just slows him down. I cannot imagine being in area's that see so few humans and not fishing though.

It's true that I don't fish anymore although I did bring a spool of line and a few jigs just in case something happened with my food or the trip ran long and I started to run out. But that doesn't mean fish don't still get my blood pumping. From age 7 to my early 20's I lived and breathed fishing, it's all I wanted to do. I had years' worth of In-Fisherman and Bassmaster magazines saved up that I'd read over and over again all winter and I recorded all the weekend fishing shows so I could re-watch them whenever I wanted. So when I'm on the water I can't help but keep an eye out for fish and good habitat.

I can say I've never been on water with so many fish in my life. I couldn't believe how much surface feeding action I saw as well as fish in the shallows and swimming in the rapids. Mostly saw pike but also lake trout, grayling, and whitefish. There were plenty of fish on Wollaston and the Cochrane River but once I was onto the Thlewiaza and Putahow it was unreal. Since I could only see in relatively shallow water I mostly saw small fish but pike were crawling all over the place. Hammer handles in every little patch of weeds and once in a while some good sized fish. Saw lots of 3-4 pounders and what was probably an 8lb. pike just hanging out in an eddy. Come into shore anywhere and you were nearly guaranteed to see multiple 4-5" fingerling pike hiding/lurking in the shoreline rocks. Once I saw 5 within 15' circle. Paddling in a small bay on Smith House Lake I saw 4 pike in 30 seconds ranging from 12" to 3-4 pounds. Schools of whitefish and grayling in the rapids and lake trout rising in pools. Paddling along across a lake and suddenly the big back of a lake trout arches out of the water 10' away. At dusk on a quiet night the splash of surface feeding fish is almost constant. Little fish feeding on bugs, bigger fish feeding on minnows, and once in a while really big fish feeding on them.

Karin and Christy: I thought of you two often on this trip when I was in particularly fishy water. You two need to fix up an old square stern wood canvas freighter and get lost on Reindeer Lake or similar for a couple weeks. Assuming it's similar to Wollaston there are so many islands and bays that the possibilities are endless and you could always find a place to hide from the wind. Lots of history on those big islands. Was surprised how many times I'd come across the remains of an old trapper's cabin/camp where you could still see the outline of the collapsed and rotted cabin with 75 year old trees growing out of the middle of it.

Alan

Alan, one of the boats we are picking up on this road trip is a 16 1/2' Y-Stern. Might be a bit small for Reindeer or Wollaston though. Funny thing is, you were parked a couple minutes drive from Wollaston Lake Lodge. I checked them out, they fly in from Winnipeg and charge $5400 US for a 5 day fishing trip. I guess they don't tell anyone you can drive there.

So when you go back, take more time and at least one rod, spare line, etc. You could carry less food weight.

Welcome back Sadie.

No Sadie, I don’t know what’s wrong with that guy. I feel ya girl; finally back at the car after a dog-year on the river and Alan putzes around for hours before heading home. He is a mystery at times.

WTF dude. Get your arse in gear. There’s a crap load of unfamiliar Saskatchewanian things to smell on the ride back, and I know Roy is waiting at home with treats and a belly rub.

Thanks for leaving the window open though.

Welcome back Sadie.

No Sadie, I don’t know what’s wrong with that guy. I feel ya girl; finally back at the car after a dog-year on the river and Alan putzes around for hours before heading home. He is a mystery at times.

WTF dude. Get your arse in gear. There’s a crap load of unfamiliar Saskatchewanian things to smell on the ride back, and I know Roy is waiting at home with treats and a belly rub.

Thanks for leaving the window open though.

I don't know if Sadie missed the chickens or not ? But I'm sure Sadie missed seeing people !

Back