• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Latex paint to replace Kevlar?

Reaction score
I have a fiberglass canoe that i have painted with oil based enamel, and im trying to use what i have laying around to minimize budget...I have a few gallons of Valspar storm coat paint laying around, and i'm wondering if i could use this paint over the oil based enamel on the bow to replace using Kevlar as a skidplate for a little more protection? Maybe put a few thick coats on or something like that? Or maybe even on the inside of the canoe for some extra grip on the floor?

Attachments

• photo3775.png
    photo3775.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I think it would be a waste of time !

If you want a cheap but effective alternative to Kevlar. Cut up an old sweat shirt, 100% Polyester. Better yet go to a fabric store and buy 100% Polyester fleece(sweat shirt material), in your choice of color. Sand the stem area down to the fiberglass. Saturate the Polyester with epoxy resin, and lay on the stem. Use plastic wrap to smooth.

Nearing as effective as Kevlar, and cheap.

Jim

Jim is correct, and I agree with the application technique he outlined.

A yard of polyester might cost you $5. and a yard of Kevlar mat is about $30. While the $30. is a lot more than $5., it will last many years for this type of application, and it's the real thing.

I've used Kevlar mat/epoxy over fibreglass-covered wood stems and it works beautifully: My Caribou S prototype (Peach) started as a Western Red Cedar stripper-- Inner stem cedar; outer stem ash; bumper strip Kevlar mat/epoxy; smoothed and faired; outer hull painted with 2-part Epifanes polyurethane Topside. Here's that boat.

IMG_1597.jpg

Last edited:
Peach is gorgeous! Nice choice of color. I ended up getting side tracked with polishing up my metal gunwale/rub rail instead haha

I have a fiberglass canoe that i have painted with oil based enamel, and im trying to use what i have laying around to minimize budget...I have a few gallons of Valspar storm coat paint laying around, and i'm wondering if i could use this paint over the oil based enamel on the bow to replace using Kevlar as a skidplate for a little more protection? Maybe put a few thick coats on or something like that? Or maybe even on the inside of the canoe for some extra grip on the floor?

As others have noted no paint is going to provide much skid plate protection.

If and when you decide to install skid plates I would recommend using materials that have proven abrasion resistance, namely Dynel cloth installed with epoxy resin (and peel ply).

The Dynel cloth and peel ply are available from Express Composites or Sweet Composites. In minimum quantities Dynel and peel ply are relatively inexpensive, and you’ll have plenty left over. The epoxy resin gets more expensive, the best solution might be something like the small G/flex bottles (8oz total).

A yard of Dynel ($10), a yard of peel ply ($10) and 8oz of G/flex ($20). Not cheap but it will be done right.

As for the when I would wait until you have used the canoe enough to scrap up the paint on the stems. You will need to sand off of paint in the skid plate area anyway and the scrapes and scratches will give you a good idea of how long and wide to make the skid plates.

I am currently testing the Polyester fleece on my second Kevlar.
I agree with the others that Kevlar felt and likely Dynel would be better choices. The Poly was introduced to me by Al the original owner of North West Canoe.
IMG_0941_zpsuomvdl9a.jpg

Polyester is at the least easier to sand than Kevlar, and provides a thick layer for abrasion resistance.

Jim

I am currently testing the Polyester fleece on my second Kevlar.
I agree with the others that Kevlar felt and likely Dynel would be better choices. The Poly was introduced to me by Al the original owner of North West Canoe.
Polyester is at the least easier to sand than Kevlar, and provides a thick layer for abrasion resistance.

Jim, good to know that polyester fleece is an alternative; I have yet to see a Dynel sweatshirt at Walmart. Dynel and peel ply get into the ordeal of ordering materials, which can seem both confusing and pricey, especially for someone doing a one and only boat.

I’ve come to believe that Kevlar felt is an awful choice for a skid plate material, even properly installed the resin saturated felt stands too proud and gurgely. I suspect the reason it is included in many skid plate kits is that it is easy to install and the cut edges of the material are not all frayed by the time the user lays them in place.

I will allow that kevlar felt skid plates, if properly installed, are functional and durable. But properly installed is considerably different than both the included instructions and what DIYer’s often do. I have a few used canoes with previous owner installed skid plates and have worked on dozens of others.

The most common mistakes I’ve seen:

Some kit instructions include the likes of “Start the skid plate 6 inches from the tip of the stem”. That’s not a skid plate, that’s a run the bow headlong into a vertical cliff face protection.

Because those kits are $70-$100 there is a DIYer urge to use every drop of resin which comes with the kit. Yeah, the resin must be the expensive part, because there isn’t $5 worth of kev felt there. There is no better way to produce a resin rich and overly heavy skid plate while achieving no functional advantage.

The felt included in most kits is usually way longer than needed, and on some stems far wider. If the excess felt if cut down to size that just leaves even more excess resin to slather on. Back in the unfortunate day when I installed those kev felt kits for friends we found we could do two canoes worth of cut to size skid plates with the resin from a single kit.

Most skid plate kits are now simply epoxy resin. Old Town sold the last toxic stinky urethane resin kits I had seen, and even so, $5 of resin, $5 of kevlar felt, a pair of disposable gloves, a popsicle stick and piece of sandpaper = $100 kit? Thanks, but no thanks.

If not covered/compressed with plastic or peel ply resin saturated kevlar felt has the texture of a wood rasp, and since it’s kevlar it sucks to sand. Add to that some badly done DIY choices of cover/compression materials that produced rifts, valleys and crinkles in the epoxied felt. I had an otherwise lovely OT Appalachian in the shop on which the razor sharp crinkles would have sliced and diced anyone attempting to assist in a boat rescue.

Even the best installed kev felt skid plate are kinda fugly, even on blunt stemmed RX canoes, and hideous on the finer stems of a composite boat.

I so dearly wish my Penobscot and Explorer didn’t have kev felt skids plates. In part for the weigh savings, but mostly because I’d rather not have this awful thing stuck on the stem.

The kev skid plate in that awful install has been covered in another thick layer of epoxy in an attempt to smooth the stucco felt finish (more weight) and painted white. Still fugly

If no one ever installed another kevlar felt skid plate kit the canoeing world would be a better place. Rant over, before I tell you what I really think of kevlar felt as a skid plate material.

A single layer of Dynel seems to provide excellent abrasion resistance, and when covered with peel ply pressed onto the material as the epoxy is setting up the Dynel layer nearly disappears, leaving no tall gurgle transition.

Here’s the most recent canoe skid plate; Dynel, graphite powder, black pigment, topcoat of black paint.

And the most recent decked hull skid plate.

Yes, there is a large Dynel skid plate on there, dang near seamless with the hull. I’m getting better at it, and I think one trick is to use release treated peel ply (not the green pull nylon stuff Sweets sells) and continue to press it into the resin swollen Dynel until the epoxy had dang near hardened.

On the above canoe I was still experimenting with different skid plate materials. I once regrettably used the awful kevlar felt, and still have a yard or more of that nearly useless stuff in the shop. I’ve used 4oz and 6oz glass, in single and double layers. Urethane resin, which the better skid plate kits once came with, West Epoxy resin, G/flex. Graphite powder. Color agent pigments.

heck, as an experiment I’ve used no cloth and just a thick coat of excess urethane resin (which has held up remarkably well).

On that canoe skid plate install the wear along the bow stem was better covered by something linear long and narrow, and instead of cutting a lengthy strip of Dynel I experimented with 2” bias weave glass tape. The thickest fiberglass tape I have ever seen, some (German made?) stuff from Sweets, it was easily the equivalent of two or three layers of 6oz glass and with the bias weave it laid down fairly wrinkle free.

Installed with a mix of West System 105/206 and G/flex, graphite powder and black pigment, that thick bias tape did the trick.

Skipper, you seem smitten with the canoe tinkering bug, which can be a most pleasing addiction. For sundry outfitting ideas, this was the last canoe I found to work on. I pretty much threw everything in the shop at that hull.

http://www.canoetripping.net/forums/...itting-project

If you end up considering the Dynel route Express Composites or Sweets may sell half yards of the Dynel and peel ply, which would still be way more material than needed for two skid plates. And if you wind up taken by the canoe tinkering bug any excess cloth or resin will come to good use.

If you end up considering the Dynel route Express Composites or Sweets may sell half yards of the Dynel and peel ply, which would still be way more material than needed for two skid plates. And if you wind up taken by the canoe tinkering bug any excess cloth or resin will come to good use.

I can't count how many times I've ordered small quantities of peel ply because I was only working on a little project and there would still be left overs for future projects. But it seemed like every time I turn around it had all been used up. So this fall I said screw that and ordered 20 yards worth. Granted I've been working on larger projects but I'm almost out again! You're already paying the shipping so paying a little extra for a few more yards of peel ply is, in my mind, money well spent assuming there might be future projects.

Alan

I can't count how many times I've ordered small quantities of peel ply because I was only working on a little project and there would still be left overs for future projects. But it seemed like every time I turn around it had all been used up. So this fall I said screw that and ordered 20 yards worth. Granted I've been working on larger projects but I'm almost out again! You're already paying the shipping so paying a little extra for a few more yards of peel ply is, in my mind, money well spent assuming there might be future projects.

Alan, you are selling it a bit short. I’ve seen the photo evidence of your custom dispensing cabinet of fiberglass, kevlar, carbon and peel ply rolls. Color me green with envy.

But for anyone building or tinkering with boats it would be hard to order more peel ply than will be eventually used. Double your first order, quadruple your second and know you will be ordering more.

Small orders of fabrics and tapes too. When ordering what I knew I needed from Sweets or Express Composites I have been unable to resist including some small bits of odd seam tapes, FRP cords or sleeve to play with in future applications, and that oddball stuff has often come at least experimentally handy.

But peel ply. . . . .dang near every application of resin to cloth, and running skimpy short in the middle of a project sucks.

Nice looking skids Mike ! Adding the graphite is a good touch.
A friend had a Bell Magic that she loved and abused.
She hired the Kevlar skids installed, and swears they altered the performance, and had them removed.
Again the polyester fleece is sandable. To me the added thickness of the poly fleece is adequate. I'm not normally that hard on my stems, as I don't ram my stems into the bank.

I agree the peel ply would even work for me in this application. But plastic wrap should too.

Jim

Here's a Kevlar felt bumper strip that was infused flush with the hull.

I like that better than my Kevlar pads.
But on my CF Nokomis, I'm going to try black Polyester fleece, resin, and Peel Ply.
Boy I need to get jump started again !

Jim

Back