• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Last gear purchase(s) that made a real difference?

I used to think a 10'x10' was perfect, until one dark and stormy night it barely sheltered us from the storm. Only then it dawned on me "Maybe a bigger tarp has it's advantages?" It sure does. At first I was afraid the 10'x14' would be too big, but setting it up either as a lean or a rectangular A-frame soon allayed those fears. It feels perfect for the two of us. What I didn't put much thought into was the colour of fabric. I too chose the circus look. Now I wish I'd opted for the simple white, less Barnum and Bailey and more tarp traditional. Oh well.

What I didn't put much thought into was the colour of fabric. I too chose the circus look. Now I wish I'd opted for the simple white

My tarp is yellow. My CCS Lean is white. I thought a lighter colored shelter would be cooler but it lets so much sun through that's it's like being in a greenhouse; especially the white one. It's great when the sun breaks over the horizon on a chilly morning. Not so great when you're trying to escape from the bugs on a sunny and warm but wind bound day.

I had an unfortunate occurrence once with a green stealth camp set up in the deep green woods. I could not located my camp after a long wander afoot and was approaching panicky

That is a real benefit to a tarp/tent that doesn't blend into the surroundings. More than once I've relied on that contrasting shelter color when returning from a walk in the woods.

I used to think a 10'x10' was perfect, until one dark and stormy night it barely sheltered us from the storm.

My CCS tarp is a 10x10 as well and even when solo it can get mighty cramped under there when the rain and wind come on strong. I couldn't justify buying a new tarp but this weekend finally gave in when Dan was selling a new "blem" 10x12 tarp at a good discount. It's green. The blem is that one of the green panels doesn't exactly match the others. I'm hoping I like the new, darker, color.

Alan

We used to use a Yellow 16 x 20' paddling the Allagash on their ridge poles where weight is not a problem.
After my grandson turned it into a Planetarium I switched to a more subdued green one.

I'm in the multicolored tarp school too but alas when I got my CCS 10x14 tarp back in 2004 before wandering out solo to some distant wild parks I got green
Not enough of a contrast to be seen by a plane..I am at the age where I think of being found for rescue.
Were I to buy another tarp it would be white but my tarp is still going strong.

I thought a lighter colored shelter would be cooler but it lets so much sun through that's it's like being in a greenhouse; especially the white one. It's great when the sun breaks over the horizon on a chilly morning. Not so great when you're trying to escape from the bugs on a sunny and warm but wind bound day.

I was camped in a burn area and relaxed in a hammock under a light grey tarp. I woke up with a sunburn. Definitely not SPF 30.

I'm seconding or thirding the re-evolution of the hammock. In the last several years, the lightweight parachute hammock has revolutionized where I can sleep. Essentially, anywhere there are trees from which to hang. And on little rocky creeks running down through the Blue Ridge, often I'm camping on rocky islands and steep banks. The hammock keeps me up out of the critters and up off the ground and does not require a sleeping pad and then boom: I find I get good sleep to boot. Good stuff.

Insulated Water Bottle. Ozark Trail Brand, 64 oz. Bought at WallyWorld. Not exactly transformative, since I have a couple other ones from different companies, well used, well liked for many camp chores, etc. Used mainly during my hard water travels and winter camping. Good quality, nice size stopper, holds heat or cold fairly well, probably as good as what I have similar in concept from Keen, RTic brands. It could even be a canteen for a large group.
It's biggest downside is bulk and weight, but we have found it to be a positive addition to our camping kit. You wouldn't want to portage it except in a group, given it's weight, weight when filled. (darn, can't someone invent water 'lite'...taste great, less heavy?!).

Oh, why it was top of my list? Bought two, each $16 or so, gave one to my son who used it for a weeks backcountry camping this late winter, praised it as being highly useful during their trip. We got probably a weeks use out of it too and put it to good use on a BSA scout outing...lots of hot chocolate got made from one container, no worries about constantly firing up the stove (flames and teenagers, not always a good combination) then doubled down as hot water to help clean up cups an hour or so later with another refill of hot water.

I have to say ditto to many of the items already covered. I love my 10 X 12 kelly green sil-nylon Tundra Tarp but wish it had been available in a more surreptitious color. I prefer stealth over drawing attention to my location, finding my way back to camp has never been a problem. I left the ground many years ago; each hammock I've owned has been an improvement over the last. My current Warbonnet Blackbird lives up to all of the accolades bestowed to it. The new hammock along with some high-end 800 fill sleeping quilts have reduced gear weight and volume considerably.

In a less expensive, doodad category, the three-legged plastic gizmo that snaps onto my stove fuel canister has been a treasured addition to my cook kit. I cook (boil water) my meals wherever I happen to be when the hunger bell rings. In the canoe or atop a moss covered glacial erratic, the tripod gizmo keeps my pot level and stable.

On paddles, I too have gone black. The feel of swinging a 10oz. stick all day trumps the beauty and nostalgia of wood. I succumbed to the hefty price multiple times in acquiring my stable of carbon blades.

On the horizon, I am optimistic for some newly acquired Possumdown clothing. Made by combining merino wool and the fur of the New Zealand brushtail possum. They are cute little critters and I'm told they make wonderful socks.
http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/photograph/16880/brushtail-possum

http://zpacks.com/accessories/possum_socks.shtml

It's a toss up between my 800 fill sleeping bag and getting outfitted with some merino wool shirts. Can't believe that I never wore this stuff until now, I'll never go back to synthetics.

Dry bags. I use several for different things. My camera is not water proof but I carry it is a 1 liter dry bag in my shirt pocket. Several times it has gone in the water in the bag and always come out dry.
A pocket sized camera with a zoom of X30. This gives a 35mm equivalent of 24 to 720mm with stabilization. It has replaced my binoculars for long distance viewing.
Hammock.

Speaking of binoculars, the improvements in optical quality relative to price during the last few years have made a real difference while spending time looking around out there. Quality that was previously only possible with high-end binos selling for over a thousand $$$ can now be had for a fraction of that price. Computer-aided design and automation has made this possible according to the reviewers' reports and prices it seems are still coming down. The mid-priced binos recommended as a top pick in a birder's review several years ago now cost less.

The new binos have much higher image quality than the old ones, so that they're taken on trips just to see what something looks like through those great optics... the wow factor birders talk about. Sharper detail, brighter color, blacker blacks, more detail becoming visible at twilight with the full-size lenses pulling more light into the eye.

Same sort of trend going on with cameras, higher quality and performance for less $$$... and miniaturization, along with all the lighter gear that saves on muscle power and makes for easier going.

PS... all this is about full-sized binos, where the large 42mm objective lenses pull in more light than the smaller compact ones. Smaller binos will be lighter, but the image quality may not be up to matching full-size... sort of works against the trend to lighter gear but never mind when it all looks so great. Wow factor, bring it on.

Last edited:
My most recent gear purchase with a difference was a new-to-me tent. It kept us incredibly warm and comfortable on some very cool and windy nights in October. I was warned about it being perhaps too warm; it might be in summer, but was great for blustery single digit C temps. Unlike in the past when we'd rely on extra layers at night, this time around we slept well with single base layers in down bags, no wooly extras necessary.

Back