• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Last gear purchase(s) that made a real difference?

G

The recent mention of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) got me thinking about the last purchases that have made a significant difference in my paddle trips.

I haven’t bought a new canoe in a long time, so not that. Some DIY stuff, like the wind/sun chair and blue barrel folding tabletop have made a real difference, but those are not commercially available items (the simple barrel folding tabletop really should be).

I had to think back a ways. Top three:

A “good” tent. Or at least a tent that suits my specific criteria. I know there are far better all-environs tents than the MSR Hubba Hubba, but it is near perfect for my solo requirements (blowing sand and dust excluded). I liked the original enough to have bought a second when it was on can’t-resist-the-price sale.

A good paddle. Like the old saying, “Once you go black (carbon fiber) you’ll never go back. Carbon Werner Camano in a custom 260cm length. Perhaps that shouldn’t count; I bought it (little) used from a friend when he quit paddling for $150. No way I would ever pay $300+ for a custom length carbon paddle. I’ll never go back and would now in a heartbeat.

(BTW, I learned something today. One of the reasons carbon double blades are typically available “Up to 250cm” is that the carbon tubes the manufacturers use can be cut in half to make a paddle up to that length. Over 250cm requires using two carbon tubes for the shaft construction)

Off-season paddling/wading boots. Chota Marshboots. Hard to find size 13, so there is room for wool socks and Sealskinz underneath. Stacked heel (don’t much kneel), aggressive tread, 19 inches high so I don’t have to search for ankle-high shallows before launching or landing. Also maybe shouldn’t count; bought nearly unused from a friend. Bless you Bob P, worn dang near every trip from October through May.

What are the last things you bought that have made a real difference in your tripping?

Similar to your boots, a pair of wetsuit pants for wading in cold water while I'm poling in the winter. The full wetsuit is too much and a pain for bathroom breaks.

Also the pocket bellows.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00L...9&sr=8-1&pi=SL75_QL70&keywords=pocket+bellows

You could visit a pick and pull and get an antenna or just use some tubing, but I've got enough things to do. Down here there isn't birch bark and softwood in abundance so starting fires is a little more difficult. The pocket bellows makes it much easier without inhaling a bunch of smoke and you can place the oxygen in a pinpoint spot of the fire. It's like having a blowtorch to get a fire going. It isn't a necessity, but is a great luxury, for a tiny piece of gear.

I looked back through a lot of purchases over the last two years. Thanks Mike, you've made me realize how much money I waste on gear when the biggest game changer of all of it is an extending metal straw.

Ratty, yer not helping me resist my GAS urges.

I really like that Pocket Bellows. Is it larger at the wide end than a standard vehicle antenna?

We have, and often carry, a 3 foot length of narrow SS tube with a section of flexible tygon tubing on the blow end. That fits fine in the pole bag, and works well, but the diameter doesn’t decrease towards the narrower fire end, which helps concentrate the breathy blow, and the tygon tubing has gone air bag disgusting with funky mold black.

I made that because my fire-tending wife was always inches from setting her hair afire while coaxing some flames from a recalcitrant campfire.

Dammit Rat, I want one of those.

Thanks.

It's a lot wider than an antenna. According to the manufacturer it's all stainless with brass rings inside so it won't rust like an antenna. You won't regret it. You can always attach some tubing to it. I've been thinking about doing the same after seeing yours. I like the idea of sitting in my chair while using it.

The only problem is it's small and I lost one in my house somewhere. I stole my buddy's until I find mine.

Edit: from Amazon
Extended it is 19" long
Collapsed approx 3.75"
Max width at base is 3/8"
The container is 4" x 5/8"

Last edited:
It's a lot wider than an antenna. According to the manufacturer it's all stainless with brass rings inside so it won't rust like an antenna. You won't regret it. You can always attach some tubing to it. I've been thinking about doing the same after seeing yours. I like the idea of sitting in my chair while using it.

Well, I’m wondering when you saw mine; I haven’t spent a lot of time in Kansas. Well, I have, but only because it is a long drive across Kansas on the straights of I-70.

The only problem is it's small and I lost one in my house somewhere. I stole my buddy's until I find mine.

Problem solved; I just bought two. Probably shoulda bought three; they would make great gifts for habitual fire tender friends.

No Title

I'll second the Pocket Bellows.
Silicone tubing works great. I have given these as gifts, and all have been impressed. My daughter saw and used mine with the silicone tubing, and requested that her tubing be cut to a length that allows her to use as if a necklace when camping. She and her family vehicle camp, and she is the "fire person". Apple didn't fall far from the tree. She's been making one match fires since she was 8. She loves showing curious others what her "camping necklace" is, and does.

Attachments

• photo6468.jpg
    photo6468.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6469.JPG
    photo6469.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
No Title

Mike, I think you posted about it here at some point. I-70 across Kansas is pretty bland to say the least. Get off the highway and it's much better. I'm from the hilly parts, there's still only trees in the valleys. I like it that way though, can't see any distance in the woods. Alas, I'm a city transplant now, dang near Missouri.

Boatstall I like that necklace conversion. I'll never lose another blowpipe.

Attachments

• photo6470.png
    photo6470.png
    642.4 KB · Views: 0
I looked back through a lot of purchases over the last two years. Thanks Mike, you've made me realize how much money I waste on gear

That's kind of how I'm feeling right now as I try to come up with something.

So as not to repeat Mike I won't comment on carbon paddles but I sure do like mine.

Thermarest Neoair sleeping pad: I've been a hammock camper for years and that's still my preferred sleeping method but this last year I went back to sleeping on a ground again. The Neoair is much more comfortable than any pad I've owned before (those were all cheap and thin) and it's amazingly lightweight and packs up so small. It was a game changer to realize I could sleep comfortably on the ground again without having to carry a huge pad.
I got the long and wide (25") version and am glad I did. At 6'1" I'm completely on the pad from my head to my toes which means I can get by without a pillow. And the extra width gives me more sleeping positions without drooping appendages. https://www.thermarest.com/catalog/product/view/id/16536/s/neoair-trekker/category/13/

CCS Pathfinder thwart bag/map case: Map case separates from the bag easily and the way it hangs over the top of the thwart keeps in angled up at you instead of hanging straight down, making it easier to read. Flips back out of the way to access the thwart bag.
The thwart bag is easy enough to detach from the thwart for portages and carries everything I want to have handy during the day. For portages I usually uncouple the whole thing and toss it in the top of my pack. http://www.shop.cookecustomsewing.com/product.sc?productId=15

Twig stove: In my case a Littlbug Jr. (though soon to be trying out one of Bothwell's little stoves). I like cooking over fire and the twig stove lets me do that quickly and easily, which is especially appreciated at lunch stops. I use mine at least once per day and often times for all three meals.
http://littlbug.com/littlbug-junior-stove/
http://www.canoepaddler.me.uk/Products.php

Alan

That pocket bellows looks cool, I may have to order one!

I haven't used it in the field yet but I think the new Emberlit Fire ant will be a good one. I have the original steel one before he started making them in Ti and love it, it just didn't fit in my kit and was really heavy. At only a couple ounces, and considerably smaller, this new fire ant Ti will get some use. And it acts as a great pot stand and wind screen for the trangia.

Jason

I love my pocket bellows. Doesn't exactly fit in my pocket, but still works great! I'll find a picture...

Every item I've purchased over the past few years has either been an upgrade or a change in direction for our tripping experience. Some simple things have been a boon, for example like a coffee pot percolator (for me), cushier sleeping pad (for her), and smaller lighter better tent (for us); but the best item by far IMHO has been our CCS tarp (and HOOP's tutorial to go with it http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/view...p?f=20&t=36603). We have a modest range of gear permitting different kinds of trips, short and heavy, long and light, and everything in between, but the large and light weight silnylon tarp affords us comfort whatever kind of canoe trip we're on. Truth be told, I could get along without one or more of many of the things we have, not necessarily because they're superfluous, but because we could find alternatives or adapt. Using a tarp is more than merely a ground sheet strung up against the rain. It's a roomy shelter against rain, wind and sun that is quick to put up and take down, and adds lounging luxury to any trip. Inclement weather is far less daunting to endure with a spacious room with a view.

Last edited:
One of the best gear purchases for me was the Kelly Kettle...a real game changer in many ways. Also caused me to dry my own food and snacks. Never carry or run out of fuel. Boils water faster than any liquid fuel stove I have ever seen.

Unlike Alan, I have been sleeping on the ground for roughly 50 years. However, just like Alan, I bought a Neo-Air sleeping pad about 4 or 5 years ago. Absolutely the most comfortable way to sleep on the ground, and warm too! And incredibly light weight and compact.

I keep trying to go with lighter equipment without adding more light equipment. This winter I bought a pair of Fjall Raven Pants, the mini Trekker Kelly Kettle, and a Helle Knife. I don't paddle too far into the shoulder seasons so the FR pants should be enough for a weeklong trip. The Trekker cuts a lot off on the stove weight and the Helle will cut out the need for a hatchet. Then there's the Kelty Chair that Someone had to bring on a trip that is far superior to the ones I have. Camp comfort is one of the top reason I paddle and the biggest reason for GAS.
The best purchase I've made is my Hammock. There is nothing more comfortable then hanging. I sleep better, it's a lighter system, and I can camp almost anywhere around here.
The second best has to go to Swift Keewaydin 15 canoe. It has given me the ability to blow off people and go where I want, when I want to go.

Or maybe those two should be reversed. A good nights sleep vs the ability to get a good nights sleep in far away places.

Last edited:
Something that has made the going easier is the development of light and compact point-and-shoot cameras that are a great improvement over older, heavier, clunkier cameras and lenses. Waterproof too... no more worries about getting splashed. And compact enough to be kept in a pocket with not-bad picture quality balanced off against the lightness and convenience... just be there to get the photo whenever it happens to happen.

The downside with digital cameras is they're more like computers than optical systems now (although most binoculars still are all-optical, with some real ooh-la-la now available at great price points), and digital cameras get outdated fast as heck. They need to be upgraded constantly if you want to keep up... with something, GAS, I guess. I doubt you can use a digital camera longer than 4 years, without it being considered a dinosaur. I don't think people will be able to tell the difference in a photo seen on a screen... maybe keeping up doesn't matter all that much if you can still manage to bring back good photos.

PS... here's the upside to compact waterproof digital cameras.

waterproof_camera.jpg

Last edited:
Back