• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Laminated wood gunnels?

Reaction score
Is there a reason to not laminate 2 different woods for gunnels? I think it would be interesting if the gunnel would compliment different woods used for accent strips. Just a thought.
Roy

I have two wood canvas boats and they are open gunwaled except for a two foot section in the middle which has a wood strip. Black walnut for one and an interesting maple for the other. Beauty strips. They are I believe glued in and over twenty years have stayed intact.

Years ago, by My mistake, I cut a set of gunnels, for a friend.

The outwhales, turned out about a foot short.

Since they were Ash. We Spliced Walnot on each end

It turned out looking Cool with the 10 to1 splice ratio !

If you want to laminate them go for it ! It's your canoe. As Mem says, have plenty of clamps !

Here are some inexpensive clamps. Bought them by the dozen from an Office Supply, online. Taped the clamp edges, on most of them, so they wouldn't stick.

They should work for laminating gunnels.

IMG_0088_zpsw7epf9wq.jpg

I think it is a nice idea! I wonder if it would need to be done on the canoe and not on the bench though? I would think that laminated wood might be harder to bend than a single piece of wood the same size? Just thinking out loud here...

Yes I was wondering about how a laminated strip would flex. I was curious of the down side of doing something like that. Many many clamps.

We are now building high rise buildings with wood. The key is laminated wood in multiple layers with the grain going in different directions. Now the adhesives are stronger than the wood. We can forget about Chinese steel and grow all the wood we want.

Would steaming be necessary to bend the lam gunnels to form? If so how would that affect the adhesives used?

A lamination will still have some flex, not as much as a solid piece, but still some flex.

From an application PoV, it would really depend on the canoe, something straight like a Freedom 17 would likely be fine, but a prospector would likely require bending (likely steam) before lamination.

I suspect if you pursue the idea, that the lamination should be done off the boat and then applied. My reasoning is that no matter how hard you try, a lamination will require cleanup of strips that slip and move out of alignment. That sort of cleanup would be a chore if the gunnel where already installed.

The best approach may be to have a bending form made up for the lamination. This gets the right shape during the bending process and leaves the piece ready to be cleaned up.
A few thoughts.

Brian

you could make end forms similar to a seat frame form for bending the curves. Steam or soak, clamp, dry, glue, reclamp...pray.

Saw a wood canvas at the WCHA Assembly in Peterborough back in 2018. The outwales were ash with a top strip of walnut. Looked very pretty. It was laminanted first and then steam bent to shape.

2018%2BWCHA%2BAssembly%2B032_rs.jpg

Back