• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Lake Lila Next Weekend

Reaction score
Thinking about doing this with the wife next weekend (9/19 - 9/21).

Suggestions/ advice?
Put in locations?
If we arrive pm of the 19th can we camp at a put in/ parking area for that evening?
Suggested camp sites?

I have poked around at some of the threads that Lila is mentioned so I have half a clue just looking for more info/ images etc.

Thanks in advance.

Unless you include the approach from Shingle Shanty ( five portages totalling about two miles) from Little Tupper, there is only one put in on Lila at the end of a .0.3 mile portage downhill.

No I don't believe you can camp in the parking area.

If you are going to arrive after dark I suggest trying to camp at Horseshoe Lake where the sites are free but its car camping. Trouble is on a weekend it may be full.

Suggested camp sites depends on whether you want beach or island. I like 17 But again you may or may not have a choice.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_forests_pdf/mapwilliamcw.pdf

If you are that jammed for time maybe Round would suit you better.

I drove into the Lila parking lot on Sunday of Labor Day Weekend. I passed the ranger driving out, He let me know that they don't allow parking along the road, and to only park in the lot. If you can't find a spot in the lot, there may be no sites available, or a lot of day trippers. There were several cars parked on the road, bu t I didn't see any tickets on them.
The drive in is 4.5 miles of jaw chattering dirt road with several rocks sticking up and some ruts. Make sure you have good ground clearance and good shocks. There were smaller cars in there, so as long as you are careful, you may be OK with a smaller car.
I agree with Yellowcanoe, if you are arriving late, then seek a site at Round lake for the night then head out to Lila early the next morning. I took a walk down to the lake, make sure you take the trail at the sign, I took the road beyond the gate for a 3 mile round trip instead of a .6 mile mile round trip on the trail. ;)

Thanks folks. Looks like we need to just commit to going Thurs. eve and figure the overnight out or do a "crack O dawn" departure on Friday. It's about 4 hours from here so if we get up and go early am we could probably be on the water by about 9(ish).

What to do,what to do...... hmmmm

You might consider arriving in a timely manner so folks breaking camp on Lila on Friday have time to leave.. You just might have time for breakfast out.

I've been guilty of being too early too and "pushing out" folks that slept in.

I don't believe that there will be too many sites filled during the week. You originally said the 19th, which is Saturday. They will most certainly be filling up Friday afternoon so if you get there late morning/early afternoon, you should have a nice selection.

Good point YellowCanoe.
Yes the 19th was "The Plan" when originally posted. Since then the Mrs was able get Friday off so we're now factoring for the Thursday night/ Friday morning thing.

I'm thinking that it not being the busy season any longer that there should be rather few people out there. Is that the case? Or is it still pretty busy this time of year?

I don't imagine there will be a crowd.

My Lila experience; I dove the road in my Focus last month with no problems, just don't straddle the high rocks, some of the cars in the lot are hikers and day trippers giving an exaggerated idea of campers-check for cars for racks and check the regester, There are sites near the outlet which get little use, Mt Frederica is an easy climb with a great view. 12 is a good time to find a campsite after the sleepyheads have left.
Have fun, Turtle

ok.... so any suggestions on Thursday night accommodations?
We were kicking the idea of an Inn or smallish nice hotel near Lk Lila.
I'm gonna try some google foo but ifanyone has a suggestion feel free.

Five or six motels in Tupper Lake.. That is the closest.. Trip Advisor gives you contact numbers. Most have no website. Tupper Lake is not an inn place. Its kind of a sad lonely old mill town.

You'd probably come through Long Lake.. Tupper is after your turnoff for Lila.. The ADK Hotel is historic but I have not been there. You could also camp at Lake Eaton for $20, right outside of Long Lake.

depends on weather you are coming on rt 3 or up 28/30. I f 28'30 you go through Long lake on the way which has a nice old pricy historic hotel, and one or two basic cheep motels and several nicer ones. There is also a campground at lake Eaton. The 28/30 route from old forge is much more scienic and historical. I recommend you go back that way if you don't come that way.
Turtle

For future trips or other visitors on this page, I can recommend "Shaheens" motel in Tupper Lake without hesitation. Decent prices, nice folks, free b'fast, super clean.

Lake Eaton state campground is also very quiet off season.

I'll give a second vote for Shaheens. I just stayed there two nights last weekend for the 90-mile canoe race. My race team and I have rented rooms at Shaheens for many years now (ever since the wife said it's too tough to be pit crew, and to officiate the race, and to set up camp each night). Always pleasant and clean, always sold out with 90-mile racers for that weekend. With microwave and fridge, and Shaheens grocery store is just a short walk down the street.

Back