Rickets Glen State Park is a great paddling destination for a quick getaway in Northeast Pa. Lake Jean is 245 acres with a mostly undeveloped shoreline. It's very scenic with lots of wildlife. We even saw and heard a loon, which is rare in Pa.. There is a nice campground with some waterfront sites and they also have some waterfront cabins to rent. The fishing might be pretty good too, but I didn't give it a try. I've been going there since I was old enough to drive but never paddled there. I went to hike the Falls Trail which is a geologic gem, carved out by glaciers. Over the 8.5 miles there are 21 waterfalls with the tallest being 96 feet.
Although it is not a "tripping" destination, if your goal is to paddle in a beautiful place and have a good spot to camp, this one has you covered.
I was up there twice this week, one time we took a hike, the other we paddled. Here are some pictures.
The Falls Trail











Lake Jean














Although it is not a "tripping" destination, if your goal is to paddle in a beautiful place and have a good spot to camp, this one has you covered.
I was up there twice this week, one time we took a hike, the other we paddled. Here are some pictures.
The Falls Trail











Lake Jean














