• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Kodiak 8x9 tent with ammo can stove

Reaction score
Stove jack on a kodiak 8x9. Tested with diy ammo can stove. Works great. Constructed own stove jack and followed Rick white’s video instructions.

Instead of sewing stove jack directly into tent, Velcro was sewed onto tent so that a stove jack, or screen mesh, or a rain flap can be attached to tent depending on conditions.

Used basic, brother sewing machine with thicker needle. Sewing was the most intimidating part, but simpler than what it seems. Practicing on spare/scrap parts helped.

Smaller Woodstove is sufficient at keeping tent at comfortable temperatures while outside temperatures are in the 20’s. Smaller stove is also best for two people in 8x9. Larger stove in picture would only work with one person. Two would be cramped.

Larger stove:
Box dimensions
H- 10 inches
L- 18 inches
W- 9 inches
H of ground- 11.5”

smaller stove
H- 9 inches
L- 12 inches
W- 7 inches
H off ground- 7.5”

Still need to winter canoe trip with it to see how gear does in canoe. Should work out.

Attachments

• photo17953.jpg
    photo17953.jpg
    513.5 KB · Views: 11
  • photo17954.jpg
    photo17954.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 11
  • photo17955.jpg
    photo17955.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 12
A wood stove changes everything when living in the cold. Even seasoned outdoor people are in amazement the first time they experience a tent with a stove in it.
I lived in my wall tent once for a month running a tree planting crew. The Flagstaff Hilton was very popular every time it snowed.
I have been having winter tent parties for 40 years.
People like canvas tents, but they love a tipi with a fire in it.

Stove jack on a kodiak 8x9.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=idWFzPteexI

Instead of sewing stove jack directly into tent, Velcro was sewed onto tent so that a stove jack, or screen mesh, or a rain flap can be attached to tent depending on conditions.

Thanks for sharing the velcro attached stove jack idea. I'm in the process of moving my stove jack from the front of the tent to the back wall. I have a screen dead center of the back wall and didn't want to loose it as I plan on summer camping with the tent. I had given this idea (velcro) some thought but wasn't sure if it would work, the video is very informative and will work in my situation.

With the stove in the center of the back wall, I will have room for 2 cots, which can be put up/taken down when not sleeping so two people can sit around the wood stove after a day of early spring fishing or deer season. (I sleep with a cold stove and don't winter camp)

I also use a smaller stove for shoulder season, does a good job heating the tent and fits easily in a canvas pack and the canoe. 12" wide, 8" high, 16" deep. (formerly 12x12x24")

Thanks for sharing this information.

IMG_2060.jpg

I’m slowly getting the Velcro attached stove jack and summer screen sewed up. Lots of mistakes sewing but it’s only thread and time, which I have a lot of this time of year. D7D771D1-4674-4583-BA0C-058B4AD48721.jpeg

Stove jack on a kodiak 8x9. Tested with diy ammo can stove. Works great. Constructed own stove jack and followed Rick white’s video instructions.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=idWFzPteexI

Used basic, brother sewing machine with thicker needle. Sewing was the most intimidating part, but simpler than what it seems. Practicing on spare/scrap parts helped.

Smaller Woodstove is sufficient at keeping tent at comfortable temperatures while outside temperatures are in the 20’s. Smaller stove is also best for two people in 8x9. Larger stove in picture would only work with one person. Two would be cramped.

Larger stove:
Box dimensions
H- 10 inches
L- 18 inches
W- 9 inches
H of ground- 11.5”

smaller stove
H- 9 inches
L- 12 inches
W- 7 inches
H off ground- 7.5”

Still need to winter canoe trip with it to see how gear does in canoe. Should work out.

Nice work, but look like you have the same problem as me posting pictures.... at least when I click on the photos they don’t show!!

Not sure what’s going on with the photos. Apologies for that. Hopefully they are viewable before clicking on them.

Winter update from the field:

Larger the stove the better (within reason). Small stove was able to heat 8x9 tent but wasn’t tshirt and shorts comfortable, but relaxing with some layers on.

Larger ammo stove kept it toasty though.

I also have a 10 x 14 kodiak tent. I wouldn’t go any smaller than the dimensions of larger ammo stove that I have.

Burn thermometer is great to have not only to monitor temps for better burns but for safety and care for the stove and pipe. It’s super easy to over fire and melt/burn things.

I am hoping the picture glitches will get resolved during the next vBulletin update, which should be soon.

I recently bought a Kodiak tent in the small size. I plan to try a Little Buddy heater in it.

I haven't camped in winter, but have slept in sailboats, or day sailed in cold weather. It's impressive what a small heater like a mantle lamp can do. If I can get the temperature above 50f, I'm happy.

Back