• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

Knives and other bladed tools

I don't trust folders for hard work, and cheap ones even less. I have come to the conclusion that life is too short for crappy canoes, knives or axes (I'm sure there are many other things that can be added to this list).

it took me 30 seconds of searching on Google to come up with examples of bears being killed with sticks so perhaps selecting a knife for self defence shouldn't be high on the list of priorities!

The trail crews in BWCA don't use chainsaws though I'm sure there are times when they would like to. It was interesting to hear a talk at the winter camping symposium about using traditional saws to clear large trees along the portage trails. i'm sure they were very fit by the end of the summer.

I'm with you BV on the cheep stuff. Buying cheep stuff usually means buying the stuff that is made in China-India-etc... And that is ne reason why our economy is what it is. By good quality, buy less, make it last, buy "local"( that for me is buying from north america made stuff)

The knives you see stuck to the PFD's of white water boaters are rescue knives not camp knives they are made to cut web and rope etc. I've used mine maybe a half dozen times in the last 15 years. You don't need them a lot but when you do, you really do haha One time was cutting my own PFD off me that was hung up on the oar lock of my flipped white water dory. You don't really want to be digging the sharp point of a camp knife between you and your PFD while being drug down rapids under a flipped boat haha

My favorite camp knives are scandi and my current favorite is a Helle Temagami. The one in the pic isn't mine and I don't have the blade notches, the one in the pic is much too pretty LOL. I carry it scandi style on a lanyard around my neck in my shirt, splash jacket or drysuit. Not too big, not too small with a lot more tang and thicker blade than most scandi knives. IMO you just can't beat the full scandi grind, combined with the Helle laminated steel, it's easy to keep hair popping sharp :- ) I have two GB axes but haven't carried them on a river trip since moving to the SW, just no need. My next favorite knife is a Leatherman multi-tool that probably gets used more than my knife on trips.

My Temagami is carbon steel and I now wish I would have bought stainless steel, the rust needs to be dealt with every couple days.

helle-temagami-bushcraft-knife-designed-by-les-stroud-sold-14607-p.jpg

JagDaddy, I agree, puukko knives are great. I like how they work and I like how they feel in my hand. The Helle knives, are excellent knives. And not very expensive either.

Plus you don't feel like Rambo wearing one...

I've never worn a neck knife, or worn a puukko that way, but you aren't the first to say that you wear your knife that way. Might have to try it.

I'm with Christy, I have a cheap folding from HD it works. Someday I'll direct funds to a better one, but not yet.

There's always a chance with the next fund raiser.

I do also carry a Swisstool made by Victorinox, not often on me, but sometime!! I'm also a fan of Scandinavian knives, I don't own a fancy one, but the one I wear wile in the shop is an old Frost Mora, that have a laminated blade out of carbon. I would like to get a Helle, but I'm not sure what I want!! I really like that one http://www.bushcraftcanada.com/products/detail.cfm?product=1992, not Helle, but look like a good knife!!

JagDaddy, I agree, puukko knives are great. I like how they work and I like how they feel in my hand. The Helle knives, are excellent knives. And not very expensive either.

Plus you don't feel like Rambo wearing one...

I've never worn a neck knife, or worn a puukko that way, but you aren't the first to say that you wear your knife that way. Might have to try it.

I started to do the neck carry when I was in MT, it was easier to get to when backcountry skiing and I found the same thing applies to river running. Neck carry doesn't work with heavy knives though, but scandi's are wonderfully light :- )

That's the problem I'm avoiding, starting a never ending collection of knives. Acquiring a tarp, sleeping pad or pack doesn't trigger an inner hoarder/collector in me, but I just know that buying a nice knife sure will. I've even admitted as much to my wife when I've said to her (for the millionth time) "I've finally narrowed my search down to 3 knives. But I may need a couple more in future." That need is the funny part, because I really don't need any sheath fixed blade, but it sure would be nice to carry one. Or two. Or three.
I know I'll succumb to the pull of a knife purchase this year, but our very real budget constraints means I'll probably choose an inexpensive Mora...to start my collection.

That's the problem I'm avoiding, starting a never ending collection of knives.

So a never ending collection of knives is a problem?!!!!!!!!!!! Oh the horrors of enjoying a collection.

Maybe your right Brad. Maybe one should only spend his hard earned money paying bills and never indulge himself.

Last edited:
So a never ending collection of knives is a problem?!!!!!!!!!!! Oh the horrors of enjoying a collection.

Maybe your right Brad. Maybe one should only spend his hard earned money paying bills and never indulge himself.

That's the same logic used by serial killers.

Alan

But seriously, some things are collection worthy and some things are not. That's a personal thing to each and every one of us. What catches my eye may not catch yours (or anyone else's).
I used to fool around with photography, back in the dark ages before digital. I had a very modest amount of equipment. Very modest. It suited my limited budget and permitted me to indulge in my hobby/passion. Then another vintage SLR caught my eye. It was in mint condition but used. And then another. And then yet another couple lenses, light meters and tripods... You can never have too many right? I loved them all but eventually in a spasm fit of frustration sold the lot. Including my dark room hoard of stuff. I still see old cameras in flea markets for sale. Cheap. But there's no sense in ever going back. You can never go back. Those days were fun, rambling round city alleyways and country roads shooting film, looking for treasured masterpieces of composition and light. I'm still fumbling and failing to figure out digital, though I love the high tech simplicity of it. Sometimes I get lucky with a shot but most times I fail. I can never see myself assembling a collection of digital cameras, they just don't catch my eye. Interesting though; I read an article last year about how old vintage reflex cameras are "the new thing" among young amateur photographers in Japan. They especially love collecting Russian cameras. It's all about the vintage item and the entire experience of using it that has "caught their eye", not necessarily the final photo results. Interesting. Maybe I'm not so weird and alone after all.

Last edited:
And then there was/is my Dinky Toy collection. http://www.collectorsweekly.com/model-cars/dinky
I had one or two as a kid. A couple neighbouring kids had loads of them. They carried theirs around in 6 quart baskets. I carried mine around in my pocket. As our own kids were growing up and moving out I decided to start a collection. "For the grandkids someday" I told my wife. She just said "Hm. Sure. Whatever." It didn't help that there was a hobby shop in town with an impressive collection on display. And a catalogue. A feckin catalogue. That's all I needed. Within a year or two I had several cars and buses. ( I was "into" repro vintage style British stuff from the 50's). Our first grandson grew to what I thought was an appropriate age to appreciate them, so I unpacked them from their precious boxes (complete with serial numbers) and started to play with them with my dear little grandson on the floor. The first thing he did was recreate an accident scene with papa's toys. CRASH! SMASH! I accidentally taught him a new word that day. I scarred his vocabulary and he scarred my inner boyhood. Oh well. Scrapes and bruises heal. When he was a little older I drew a deep breath and handed him my entire collection of Dinky Toys. Well, not the entire collection. I couldn't bear to part with the old buses. They're still lovingly stored downstairs on top of the beer fridge. Waiting for a second round of play time with grandsons number 2 and 3. When they're old enough. To appreciate them, and I'm calm enough to get my language under control.

I currently use these for backpacking and tripping (GB splitting hatchet and camp saw) very light....

But I wouldn't want to clear ports in the Spring with them...excellent for fire wood processing.

Than I have a bit heavier kit for longer trips that I use.....

I use a fixed blade knife a lot too. Idaho Knives Cliff Knife similar to the Temagami posted earlier. I've batonned with it but prefer the hatchet. I've been looking into getting a neck knife (river guide knife) similar to the Cliff Knife but smaller.

Barry

If you like fixe blade knifes, and you like well made knife you have to check this guy out and all the testing he has been doing to create the best knife out there!! The guy is just super anal about details and quality!! http://goughcustom.com

That's the problem I'm avoiding, starting a never ending collection of knives. Acquiring a tarp, sleeping pad or pack doesn't trigger an inner hoarder/collector in me, but I just know that buying a nice knife sure will.

That's just crazy talk right there :- )
phone pics2 001.jpg

Properly outfitted whitewater PFD :- )
phone pics2 003.jpg

I've always thought the epitome of outdoor knives were of the Marbles woodcraft & expert design , sadly all are made overseas nowadays the quality suffering greatly, they were the tool everyman could afford. Now are choices are substandard crap or custom knives only the affluent can afford. Plastic handles and steel suitable for a hacking tool leads young folk to discussions about batoning something that should never be done to a quality tool.

I've always thought the epitome of outdoor knives were of the Marbles woodcraft & expert design , sadly all are made overseas nowadays the quality suffering greatly, they were the tool everyman could afford. Now are choices are substandard crap or custom knives only the affluent can afford. Plastic handles and steel suitable for a hacking tool leads young folk to discussions about batoning something that should never be done to a quality tool.

I think you might be overstating things a bit :- )

Back