• Happy Birthday, Simon Fraser (1776-1862)! 🧭🏞 4️⃣9️⃣

I've been Enlightened!

Reaction score
My new 20 degree wide quilt arrived and I can't wait to use it. Tempted to sleep on the porch to test the rating. Feels like great down, no empty spots like my other quilt. Ordered an 8L dry bag to pack it. Wide enough to cover my boy too.

My new 20 degree wide quilt arrived and I can't wait to use it. Tempted to sleep on the porch to test the rating. Feels like great down, no empty spots like my other quilt. Ordered an 8L dry bag to pack it. Wide enough to cover my boy too.

Is there a typo in your message? Boys typically don't require that big a quilt to cover a dishcloth will do. ;)

I've used the 20 degree for three summers and I love it.....if temperatures get near freezing, it is a bit too light.
Otherwise I love these quilts.

Like BW says, the bottom layer is usually the most important ... with decent bottom insulation, the 20 should be usable for everything but winter and the way the weather has been going, part of that as well.

My understanding is the newer EE quilts have more down than the older ones. I ordered an extra 3 ounces of down for my 4 year old 20 degree Enlightened Equipment quilt, opened the top end and added the down.
That helped a lot as the down was pretty sparse before.

I've slept two nights in a row at 20 degrees while wearing a base layer and was fine with that EE 20 degree quilt.

Just recently received a new UnderGround Quilt (UGQ) overstuffed and oversized 20 degree down quilt which seems much warmer. Had it in 30 degree weather and had to stick my legs out to cool down.

My air sleeping pad has just over a 5 R value and works great for three season. I include a closed cell pad under it for winter.
I've heard that works better if you put the closed cell pad on top, but I prefer it on the bottom. That also helps protect the air pad.

Sold my old Western Mountaineering sleeping bags and I will never go back to those. I love the freedom of a quilt.

Back