• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

It's wool season

Anyone every wear Sir Pendleton shirts? They are lightweight, hard fabric and 100% wool. I wear them all year. A typical summer day in the mountains they are perfect. Best shirts I have ever owned.

My Mom gave me a cashmere sweater. I don't wear it out of the house. But I sleep in it all the time.
I use Pendleton wool blankets for sleeping. Snow on the ground today in Nevada with a low of 19 degrees, perfect.
Filson wool vest is the best single garment there is.

I have had a sweater and a sports coat made of Alpaca. It is very comfortable, not scratchy, and works in a wide range of temperature. It is like turbo charged sheep wool.
Musk ox wool is the best there is.
I find the alpaca and merino wool sweaters to be too loose woven to be substantial outdoors gear. I’m sure there’s good ones, just not readily available. Mine are attractive, but thin and loose woven. I’m still wearing Cabelas and Woolrich products from 20 years ago under my outerwear for serious cold. I do wear a merino sweater outside as a mid layer, but not below 15 degrees F.

Last edited:
I too have some Pendleton’s wool shirts. Purchased in the late ‘70’s early ‘80’s when I worked for Eddie Bauer’s. Didn’t need them much when we lived on the east end of Long Island, NY, but now we are in Maine and I’ve lost some weight so they are coming back into service. My son actually has some of them that were just too small to fit anymore.
Jim

I have a lifetime supply of Pendletons. The first two I found at a second hand store in like new condition for about 5 or 6 bucks. The one I wear tripping wore through at the elbows so I turned it into short sleeves. I was wearing it yesterday and a guy told me my outfit matched the canoe. I picked up a half dozen more when the Pendleton store in Anchorage was closing. They were 150.00 board shirts for 30 bucks. I got one in every color and gave a couple away as gifts. They aren't all that warm by themselves but are a good layer.

The first time I was ever really became aware of Pendleton shirts was 50 years ago working cattle with some life long pro cowboys. In Arizona in the fall up on the Mogollon Rim it is 14 degrees every morning and then warms up during the day. It was very interesting to me that people that made $400 a month and all of the squirrels they could eat wore Pendleton shirts.

The local outfit was a regular shirt with a wool Pendleton shirt with pearl snaps over it. Then a Carhartt jacket over that. As the day wore on, more and more clothes ended up on the cantle of the saddles. Pearl snaps are an advantage because if they hang up on anything like the saddle horn, they open up and you are not snagged.

I first learned about silk scarves from the same people.

Last edited:
Stormy Kromer is popular here in Michigan, made in the Upper Peninsula. I have a few hats, a couple vests and sweaters and just ordered a Mackinaw jacket last night. Good stuff. (y)

Back