• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

It's wool season

Reaction score
I've become a bit obsessed with wool the past two seasons. I can't get enough of it and the performance of wool is unbeatable. I was out in a nasty wintery mix last night and came back bone dry and warm.

Attachments

• 20201102_163231.jpg
    20201102_163231.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20201102_165230.jpg
    20201102_165230.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 18
Pissing rain up here, I’m disgusted! For once we had great early snow pack!!

It's pretty much all I wear when outdoors.

I have a fairly unique condition - I have yet to hear of another person that has it: most synthetic materials give me goosebumps when I touch them. Some worse than others. Something about the weave sends shivers down my spine. I can get away with blends as long as the cotton content is sufficient, but I am careful that there is not so much cotton as to render the garment unusable in cold conditions. Thin merino is great - even in summer. My winter stuff is a mix of Fil$on and cheap and cheerful Big Bill. I stand out like a sore thumb while hunting - the only dude not decked out in camo from head to toe. My favourite by far for cooler tripping clothing is from the workwear section. My poly-cotton workpants are tough as nails and dry in about 10 minutes.

Edit: long story short, it's how I got my screen name.

While I still wear wool quite a bit during the winter months, I've also added an alpaca hoodie to my wardrobe. It's from the Appalachian Gear Company and helps me be comfortable in a wide range of temperatures. It's incredibly soft, so it makes a nice pillow, and there's no scratchy feeling like you may get with some wool products. While it may be pricey to some folks, it's worth the $$$ in my opinion. I'll never give up my wool but this has been a wonderful addition to my outdoor gear. Here's their link if you're interested in checking them out:

https://appalachiangearcompany.com/

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

While I still wear wool quite a bit during the winter months, I've also added an alpaca hoodie to my wardrobe. It's from the Appalachian Gear Company and helps me be comfortable in a wide range of temperatures. It's incredibly soft, so it makes a nice pillow, and there's no scratchy feeling like you may get with some wool products. While it may be pricey to some folks, it's worth the $$$ in my opinion. I'll never give up my wool but this has been a wonderful addition to my outdoor gear. Here's their link if you're interested in checking them out:

https://appalachiangearcompany.com/

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Not for this Christmas. Aside from the beanie, everything else is sold out.. That to me is just strange.. Everything. Very nice looking unattainable product

Wool is still the king.
Many years ago I had a contract for a mine site in SE Alaska. On the Mainland east of Ketchikan the area received 150 inches of rain a year.
Even in July and August the first thing I put on was a wool union suit made by Stanfield of Canada, Made on PEI I think. Just the thing for wading rivers, walking through wet brush and the rain.
I wore Filson tin pants and a wool Filson cruiser jacket. Sometimes I smelled like a wet sheep.

Working in the outdoors or hunting involves a lot of exertion. After a few days the manmade fibers really start to reek. I hate the smell of those. They are okay for a day trip, but not for weeks in the bush at a time.

Last edited:
Wool is still the king.
Many years ago I had a contract for a mine site in SE Alaska. On the Mainland east of Ketchikan the area received 150 inches of rain a year.
Even in July and August the first thing I put on was a wool union suit made by Stanfield of Canada, Made on PEI I think. Just the thing for wading rivers, walking through wet brush and the rain.
I wore Filson tin pants and a wool Filson cruiser jacket. Sometimes I smelled like a wet sheep.

Working in the outdoors or hunting involves a lot of exertion. After a few days the manmade fibers really start to reek. I hate the smell of those. They are okay for a day trip, but not for weeks in the bush at a time.

The Stanfields 3-button grey crew is ubiquitous up here.

Edit: not crew - henley.

Last edited:
Yellowcanoe - My experience with the Appalachian Gear Company is that their clothing has become really popular within the backpacking community. For that reason, it's sell out almost as quickly as they can "stock" their shelves. What I've found is best is to get on their e-mail list. When you do, you'll be alerted to when items are back in stock. Other than that, yea...it usually appears as if they have nothing to sell.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Not for this Christmas. Aside from the beanie, everything else is sold out.. That to me is just strange.. Everything. Very nice looking unattainable product

The raw materials come from Peru, there has been no country on the planet more seriously affected by Covid. By the raw numbers they are second to Belgium but when you factor in the high levels of poverty and the lack of medical and financial resources the situation there is truly dire.

Everything is sold out everywhere. I have been on the list at Weatherwool for nearly a year. I found a seller with a stash of WW on Ebay and bought everything that was my size.

I now no longer think about purchasing gear. If I like something I buy it.I don't know if it will be available tomorrow. I then find a piece of gear I am not using and sell it to remain revenue neutral. My clutter pile is gone. Silver lining I guess.

Military surplus wool clothing is dirt cheep. It's scratchy, but if you wear a poly base layer it's fine. It performs as well or better than the fancy stuff. I also believe it keeps you warmer when wet than the soft kind. Turtle

Wow the prices of the Arctic Anorak have exploded.. I have had mine ten years and it has a coyote ruff which really really helps warm the air I breathe. I wear it with the Wool Blanket Shirt I also got years ago.. An investment for sure but will last forever. Not too hot ever. The getup is by Empire Canvas. S drew for best results for you you might want to take down your post! ( rest assured our family has two of these so no competition here)

I have had a sweater and a sports coat made of Alpaca. It is very comfortable, not scratchy, and works in a wide range of temperature. It is like turbo charged sheep wool.
Musk ox wool is the best there is.

Back