• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

It's wool season

I don’t think there is a day that I don’t wear wool!! And when in the field in all season there is always wool close by!! The pants I wear in that picture is an old pair of over sized woolrich wool pants that I modified by putting full length zipper on each leg, and added some thin foam on the knees, making them the ultimate bush pants!!

Attachments

• A323A39B-E0A4-475B-8DC8-46A774143093.jpeg
    A323A39B-E0A4-475B-8DC8-46A774143093.jpeg
    992 KB · Views: 5
Filson wool vest is one of the best articles of clothing one can own. They are expensive, around $150 but you can wear it every day for the rest of your life if you want.

Filson wool vest is one of the best articles of clothing one can own. They are expensive, around $150 but you can wear it every day for the rest of your life if you want.

Testify! I have 5 of those vests. I wear them all the time for hiking in cold weather and courting the ladies. Just joshing on the courting part. I’ve been married for 30 years...but I very well may have had a wool vest back then.

I have multiple items from empire and if I don’t get fat, they will outlast me with pretty much zero care.

cheers,
Barry

Everyone knows to wear fleece or synthetics, not cotton. Few give much thought to wool, but they should. I switched to wool a long time ago. It just feels warmer and has a greater temperature comfort range, among many other attributes.

Musk ox wool is the best there is.

From what I've read Musk Ox and Yak wool are very similar. (Never tried anything Made of Musk Ox though.) Yak wool is just much easier to find in outdoor clothing and significantly cheaper.. still expensive though.

I have had a sweater and a sports coat made of Alpaca. It is very comfortable, not scratchy, and works in a wide range of temperature. It is like turbo charged sheep wool.
Musk ox wool is the best there is.

I have a kick arse alpaca sweater, real warm but real itchy. As far as musk ox, I wanted a musk ox sweater, and when I made it to Anchorage back in 1980 I had to make a stop in the Quiviat Store that I had seen advertised in the Alaska Magazine. I went in the store and it was all frilly women's stuff, shawls and scarfs mostly, not one rugged gnarly musk ox looking sweater of any kind. When I inquired I was told that the yarn from the musk ox isn't strong enough for sweaters.

I've probably worn out more wool clothing than your average guy has ever owned. Pants and shirts anyway, I haven't killed any sweaters that I remember. Wool shorts (cut off military) are my main tripping pant. When the elbows wear out of my shirts I turn them into sleeveless and short sleeves. I used to layer with the sleeveless one against the skin, a short sleeve over that followed by a long sleeve.

I still wear a wool hat that I bought 40 or so years ago that had a revolutionary new waterproof breathable material in it, Gortex. The wool is still going strong but I think the gortex disintegrated.

I've worn out my Empire wool camp coat. I loved that jacket. Unless I win the lottery, I won't be able to afford another. Got a Big Bills wool jacket, a zip up thing. It's ok, but it's no camp coat.

Only if you are XXL, like the color Watauga in the Hoodie. Or a small in the Watauga Crew.
Not much, "in stock" if you are man that doesn't like blue or is a med, large or xl.

Only if you are XXL, like the color Watauga in the Hoodie. Or a small in the Watauga Crew.
Not much, "in stock" if you are man that doesn't like blue or is a med, large or xl.

Man it goes fast. Lots of sizes this afternoon. I managed to pick up a men’s med hoodie in olive.

I have a European military surplus wool zip jacket made of "wool fleece". It looks like thick poly fleece but it's wool. A great performing jacket and i have never found wool fleece anywhere else. Any body know a source as I would love to have a vest or parka made of it. thanks, Merry Christmas, Turtle

I have a surplus cotton anorak that i use for bad weather snowshoeing. I agree with yellow--the best outer layer. wind proof and breathable. after a long strenuous shoe it sometimes is frozen almost solid, but I'm dry underneath.

I've been a Woolie for my whole life. I've given away more sweaters than most people ever own. One thing I've learned - NEVER trust a non-woolie to care for your wool. I considered adding a wool anorak to my kit, but I just don't know about the pullover thing. I think I prefer an open front to an outer garment. My old Filson Mackinaw is getting a revival at the cabin where there's serious cold. I added a shearling mad bomber hat to compensate for the lack of a hood. I still haven't gotten an alpaca garment...just too pricey. I was a sheepherder in another life, I'm sure of it.

Add the Anorak! I am not a fan of pullovers, but my Anorak is key to my cold water paddling. I have no issue getting this on over my base and mid layer( Filson guide sweater).

Back