• Happy (Ancient) May Day! 🎀💈💃🏼🧺💐🍴

ID help

Reaction score
Friend of mine just brought this home. He thinks its got some connection to the Adirondacks, but knows nothing else. 16' 4" long stem to stern, 33" wide at the gunnels. Figured this was the place to ask. He didn't notice any markings, but will look again.

Attachments

• photo6832.jpg
    photo6832.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo6833.jpg
    photo6833.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo6834.jpg
    photo6834.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6835.jpg
    photo6835.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6838.jpg
    photo6838.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6837.jpg
    photo6837.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6836.jpg
    photo6836.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6839.jpg
    photo6839.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6840.jpg
    photo6840.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6841.jpg
    photo6841.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 1
Tell him to take a pic of he end of the stem inside the hull to see if it is flared. Possible Morris. Maybe Gerrish, or a Kennebek. It could be a nice boat if restored.

There is a hint of the flared stem in one photo and it does look like the ribs are grooved into the inwale, so it is much like a B.N. Morris. Inner stems would be cedar. Look for either a ghost of rectangular plate on the flared part of the stem with 4 nail holes, or, oval plate on the inside of the inwale on the left side, a couple ribs back from the deck at the bow with 2 nail holes. If it is a Morris it is a rare boat.

Most likely a Morris. Kennebec used a flared stem too, but the rest of the boat looks like a Morris. Looks to be in good shape.

Although, Morris liked outside stems to protect the soft cedar inner stems. The brass stem bands were then riveted on. The stem bands on this canoe look riveted, but I don't see any indication of it ever having outer stems. The outer face of the inner stem would be wider to accept the outer stem. Maybe this smaller canoe didn't need outer stems.

In a Morris, I am also used to seeing a screw for the keel in every rib instead of every other rib. The seats don't quite look as finished as on a Morris either.

If it is a Kennebec, the inner flared stem might be hardwood and that might explain the lack of outside stems. If it is a Kennebec, there should be a number stamped in the bow stem. Take that number to the WCHA site and they can find the Build Record on the ledgers for you.

Last edited:
If it lacks markings entirely it could be a JR Robertson. It looks exactly as mine does. The only way we ferreted out that info was by very carefully removing the varnish from the center thwart. We found some pressed stampings JR Robertson Auburn Mass on the ends of the thwart.

It has a keel or had a keel . Ours has a keel. It also has outer stems and your's doesnt.

the high ends are typical of courting canoes.. Is there any indication that there were hoop fasteners on the inwales? The closed gunwales make it somewhere in the early 1900's.

Robertson was notorious for no numbers or easily found identifying markers on his craft.

Our boat which we know is a Robertson has the same dimensions..

No mine doesn't but I can't really make out if the stems are splayed or dirty from the photos

Here are some illustrations of Morris Canoes.. In that part of Maine the various companies swopped people and often some of those founded their own company.
The one thing we can pretty much be sure of is that its not an Adirondack boat.

Last edited:
Awesome. I'll pass this link on to him so he can take a look.

No Title

I asked Kathy Klos the Morris historian in the WCHA about this thread. She'd like to see the inside stem but believes the canoe not to be a Morris but a Kennebec or a Carleton
This is an example of a Morris stem. The difference is subtle. There is a straighter drop from the peak of the stem on the Morris

She also added"[FONT=&quot]And tell them to check out the stem (could be a Kennebec with a splayed Morris type stem, so that could confuse things). If it's a Carleton, there'd be a serial number on the stem and I could look it up. Kennebec might have a sn tamped into the stem too. Forums are down, but Benson can look up Kennebecs and there are several of us who can look up Old Towns and Carletons."[/FONT]

Attachments

• photo6843.jpg
    photo6843.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
No Title

Update. Looks like he's finding a serial number in the stem. So far just a "35". Also, he's gone from "might just fiberglass it" to a copy of This Old Canoe.

Attachments

• photo7084.jpg
    photo7084.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 0
If it was a Morris it would be on a brass tag, not etched into the stem itself. Could be a Kennebec or Carleton.

I'll find a photo of my Morris stems tomorrow or Friday for comparison. Although with mine the brass tag was on the inwale.

Karin

After excavating the SN from under two layers of paint and one layer of varnish, it looks like "?350" stamped into the stem. Does that help to unravel any of the origins of this boat?

It is likely a Kennebec. Go to the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association Forums and post photos and a description of your canoe with the remnants of the serial number in the Serial Number portion of the Forum and Benson Gray may be able to locate it on the Kennebec Canoe Co. ledgers. A good photo of the remains of the serial number may help as well. Sometimes a rubbing, or shining of a light at a low angle across the serial number exposes more.

Good luck.

http://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php

Last edited:
Back