• Happy Peace Officers Memorial Day! 👮🏽‍♂️👮‍♀️

​How many knives?

Jeeze, step away from this thread for a couple days, and when I find my way back there's a whole lotta self-psycholanalysis going on. Where do I sign up?
I seriously can't explain the attraction I have for certain objects, but I'm not so sure it has anything directly to do with my gonads. It's more than likely a cultural bias. Something I tried to eliminate, or at least reduce with our children...such as saying to our daughters "Just because your friends have Barbies, doesn't mean you have to play with one too. You can have a bow and arrow for your birthday if you want." Society's cultural bias is to make a sweeping judgement what our society wants girls-women folk, boys-men folk to "be", and then discriminate in favour of those outcomes. I failed. I think. Our sons are somewhat sensitive, but only to the degree that they're not complete jerks and insensitive. Our daughters are somewhat athletic, but they're not rude joke-telling jocks. They're kinda average middle of the road folks. Maybe that's average for society as a whole. I dunno. There are far more middle of the road men and women, than there are feminine prima donnas and knuckle dragging neanderthals both at opposite ends of the spectrum. But I bet boys are still far more likely to be introduced to their first small folder than girls. I might be wrong. dang. I've been a confused dad for a good deal of my adult life. Our eldest daughter has always been the champion burper in the family. I spent years blaming the trumpet blasts coming from the back seat during road trips on the boys. It wasn't till they were all grown up, that they proved it to me. What they really proved was that I was showing a little cultural bias myself, having thought "Girls don't belch." I offered to teach the kids how to process fire wood on trips. Only one was interested, a boy. My wife offered to show the kids how to camp cook. They all pitched in. Maybe it was the teacher. Okay, that's enough self analysis for me.

ps So memaquay, what you're saying is, my farting problem will be regarded as kinda manly on this summer's trip north, and perhaps highly regarded? That's good, cause I only fart when I'm a) Happy, b) Scared, c) Drunk. I'm expecting to be a fair bit of 2 outta 3 most days. I'll leave the hair gel at home.

Ya know, I'm not totally insensitive. Hair gel makes for good fire starter, so on those days when you don't need to be pretty, we could save some birch bark.

At what point, and how many knives later does it a knife become redundant? I'm asking myself how many is necessary, how many are too many. I'm eyeing an on pack fixed blade and an EDC folder. Emergency blade in kit. 3 blades. Oh, and a PFD blade on the chest tab. That makes 4 blades. I'm asking myself "too many? enough? not enough?"

Last edited:
I was my understanding that one's knife collection was governed by the same math as one's boat collection: N+1.

Jim

Ummmm Rob, Brad....if you do the math you will realise the trip is more of a girls adventure week...you are outnumbered 4-2. Bring your hair gel boys.

Christy

Christy, I haven't ruled out driving to G town and signing on to this mad adventure yet. If I do i'll bring Stabby Joe along for Mem to play with. That would make it 4 to 3, probably close enough to leave the hair gel behind. Dave

I guess I am assuming that the trip is open to crazy folk like myself.

Ummmm Rob, Brad....if you do the math you will realise the trip is more of a girls adventure week...you are outnumbered 4-2. Bring your hair gel boys.

Christy
Does that mean we guys'll get pedicures?! Yeah!!
I'm not worried about new math, old math, no math...The numbers will add up to a good time.

ps I'm not sure what a girls adventure week is exactly. I wonder what I'm signing up for. Oh oh.

Wow, we could have a real tree party, like in Go Dog Go if Rippy shows up! Imagine the fun sitting around the fire at night talking in Dr. Seuss!

Well, I don't have much in the way of knives anymore but I sure can fart, so I fit in well enough.

Rippy, I'm crazy, and I do tell people such, so come on up and join the bush gang. Just watch what you try to get across the border.

I typically carry a sheath knife (either a Fallkniven F1 or Condor Nessmuk in LA, or a Western L66 in NY) in my pack, and a Swiss Army Knife (Fieldmaster in LA or Huntsman in NY) dummy corded to my pants pocket or belt. (I don't like to deal with TSA, so I just have two sets of gear).

Back